[Horsebow] Feather fletchings for horsebow arrows.

rmcpb

I like her attitude. Wheely bows are good it you want to point and shoot but barebows are brilliant in that they all have character and you have to get to know them.

As for the XX75s Ruairi, my son, uses his carbons for range shooting but some old 1816 Blues in the backyard on the hay bale. They work fine for practice but the carbons are his serious arrows with woods as his "favourites" because they are cool. Its all part of the character of the shooting style that there is no formula :)

Cheers
Rob.

philhoney

Hi,
We started our indoor season tonight and although my grandaughter took both bows the only one to see the light was the horsebow.
She posted her worst ever score but did she care, not a bit and spent most of the evening with a big smile on her face.
She knows it will take a while to get to know the bow and only shooting 3 or 4 doz arrows once a week it will be later than sooner before she gets the hang of it. But she's happy and that's what counts.
Phil

philhoney

Hi,
I managed to get some alloy arrows for her on Ebay (?18 for 10) since my last post. 1716 at 27ins and refletched them with 2 1/2in feathers.
She gave them a go tonight and they seem to suit the bow perfectly. No wobbles in flight and hit the target as they should.

She seems to be getting the hang of the bow and did much better than last week. There were a few misses but there were just as many golds to make up for them. Her biggest problem is having an aiming point that is below and to the right of the gold but she is getting used to it slowly and I'm sure that it won't be too long before she equals her compound PB.
Phil

Riceburner

Hi,
It's not the bow contact I'm worried about. She had a go on Sunday shooting one of our beginner bows off the hand and ended up with a few scratches on her index finger from the plastic fletchings. I know a glove will prevent the scratches but I was hoping that feathers would be a bit more forgiving as regards arrow flight.
Phil
Not sure if this was mentioned - but if you raise the arrow nock point on the string a fraction then the vanes/fletchings will pass over the hand without touching. Until you get feathers on the arrows this might be an idea as a temporary measure?