Field markings

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Just wondering how those of you who have your own dedicated range mark your lines. Our club has for years and years poisoned the lines. The result is that the bare soil is now some four or five inches below the level of the grass. We mow weekly so I don’t think line marking is an option but are there other alternatives?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
we put metal plates into the ground. Painted white for the shooting line, yellow for yards, red for metres.

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
we put metal plates into the ground. Painted white for the shooting line, yellow for yards, red for metres.
We have similar distance markers set in the ground down the long sides of our field. But are your in ground markers placed along the lines where the target stands would be placed?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
We have similar distance markers set in the ground down the long sides of our field. But are your in ground markers placed along the lines where the target stands would be placed?
They're placed where the targets go, so in each shooting lane there are markers for the shooting line, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100yds and 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, & 90m.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Even a treated wooden stake with a big clout (pun intended) nail in the top hammered level with the soil would work. You'd find it with a metal detector, and could retreat every year.

Aleatorian

At York, we have these:

1632731401632.png

Currently, white at 2.5m Intervals across the shooting line, and then white used for Imperial distances in the lanes and yellow for Metric Distance in the lanes. Though I would prefer something other then the yellow and white, as they get slightly lost as the grass grows and you have dandelions and daisies growing too. Red would be far more visible

Mower doesn't cut them as we cut the grass, when it comes to competitions we do mark out lines dedicated to the shoot. Obviously, Shooting/Waiting/Tent lines, and then ones for the relevant distances.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Be aware of colour blind people...I once thought I was doing my Him Indoors a favour and refletched his clout arrows in red while he was away. He couldn't see them in the grass and was raging!

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Be aware of colour blind people...I once thought I was doing my Him Indoors a favour and refletched his clout arrows in red while he was away. He couldn't see them in the grass and was raging!
Oops!
Good point though.

LAC Mark

At York, we have these:

View attachment 8859

Currently, white at 2.5m Intervals across the shooting line, and then white used for Imperial distances in the lanes and yellow for Metric Distance in the lanes. Though I would prefer something other then the yellow and white, as they get slightly lost as the grass grows and you have dandelions and daisies growing too. Red would be far more visible

Mower doesn't cut them as we cut the grass, when it comes to competitions we do mark out lines dedicated to the shoot. Obviously, Shooting/Waiting/Tent lines, and then ones for the relevant distances.
We also use these "carrots", blue for shooting line, yellow for imperial and red for metric, they last a surprising amount of time before getting sun bleached.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
'carrots' for us as well, we find that they last for several years and are a safe way of marking the line and boss positions across the field. Our field is a primary school playing field so safety is the priority.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
I recently bought tree support stakes from a garden centre, they're tantalised and 5cm thick, I'll be setting them down the sides of the range as distance markers painted with different coloured fluorescent paint, used to id different lengths. The firing line will be paved with alternate colours for each 80cm personal space. A 5cm gap between two lines of pavers will define the firing line. Safety and 3m lines I have yet to decide upon.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
We have plastic hexagons, sunk into the ground along the shooting line. Since we have a plastic grid for disabled access, they sit neatly into that. The grass grows through the grid, but it's easy to see the markings. White along the shooting and equipment lines. Then out in the field we presently have painted spots to mark each distance, which have to be re-marked after mowing the grass, but we're supposed to be getting the carrot thingies this year. Every distance (yards AND metres) is also marked on our boundary fence.

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
We've got short posts either side of the shooting area as distance markers, with 9mm x 100mm UPVC soffit board cut into squares with a hole drilled through the middle of each and fixed with 150mm landscape fabric pegs at the boss positions.
Shooting / equipment lines are painted.

Corax67

We use carrots but also bury a large metal nut & bolt (M20) alongside it in case we need to hunt one out with a metal detector

Corax67

Great until n arrow hits it 💥 (unless dug down deep enough).
The bolt is below the top of the carrot - if an arrow were that deep it’s more likely to hit the power cables for the rugby floodlights first and that would be hilarious when someone went to pull it out