Finger pain

MiztaZiggy

Hi everyone,
Ive been lurking here for a couple of months now, reading posts and trying to learn what I can, though havent posted anything yet myself.

I started shooting in October with 22# limbs and soon wanted to increase the poundage. I shot every other day at least, between 100 and 200 arrows, at home and had no issues really.

I increased the poundage to 30# but after a few weeks found my fingers were getting sore. It's not the skin it's the joint and ligaments I think.

I feel pain, like a bad bruise almost, when holding the string between the end knuckle joint, that after a little while shooting, becomes too painful to carry on. It seems to be caused by the pressure of the string on a small point of the finger.

I tried adjusting the hold so that the string crossed the fleshy part of the end of my finger, but this causes pain in the knuckle, all I can describe that as is like arthritis?!? (Bearing in mind im not yet 35 I shouldnt be getting arthritis).

Right now, if I press my finger into the fleshy bit between the end 2 knuckles on my middle and ring finger, it feels bruised and quite painful. If I curl my finger into a hook and put any pressure on the finger tip, eg lifting something, opening a door handle, I feel pain in my knuckle

Ive googled this and looked at the forum but cant find much that sounds specifically like this. Has anyone experienced anything similar and found a cure (other than rest), because I really enjoy shooting and dont want to give it up so soon.

Ive tried taping my fingers up so that there is a little bit of padding, but it doesnt help for long :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ben tarrow

obvious thoughts:

1. what sort of finger tab do you use (if any)

2. do you use a "deep hook"? :

3. if it hurts, dont do it; seek medical advice

4. buy a compound with a release aid

Mark31121

Ironman
In addition to Ben's post, how thick is the string? If the string was intended for 22 lbs it might be a bit thin for 30lbs.

You might have put too much pressure on the joints initially and bruised them.

To start with though you may have to rest to make sure it is just a bruise etc and not something more serious, if you've ever broken/dislocated your fingers it could be from that - if in doubt go and see a medical professional.

MiztaZiggy

Thanks for the comments.

I use a decut rugbii tab, initially with a deep hook grip but that now hurts in the joint. If I try a finger tips grip that hurts the end knuckle.

The string is a 16 strand FF.
I've never broken those fingers as far as I know. It doesn't feel like a break though, I've broken various bones. Might be worth getting it checked out though if it doesn't heal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When the fingers start to hurt, the pain draws attention to them, specially while you are at full draw and aiming. The mind can so easily move to the fingers that are hurting, and when the release is made, the fingers are deliberately straightened. It's almost like trying to get them out of the way.
It is likely, in that situation, that the string pushes against stiff fingers as they can't relax out of the way fast enough.Each shot gives them an extra smack.
If it hurts to draw; it hurts to shoot.
I would let them heal before doing any more shooting.

ThomVis

How thick is your tab? Guideline is 1mm per 10lbs drawforce on your fingers. You can add layers to increase thickness. If that isn't enough, visit a doctor.

jerryRTD

Go compound and use a wrist release. Pain is your bodies way of saying some thing is wrong. All well and good if you can find a pain free solution if you can't???

MiztaZiggy

Measured the tab, the leather is around 2.4mm and the felt part makes it about 3.2mm.
Maybe it's worth replacing the felt part with another leather pad to double up?

castlee

Is the string sitting IN the joint? I use the decut hockii tab with a deep hook, lined up behind the first knuckle joints on a 34# bow, and I'm not really getting any significant finger pain anymore, so wondering if that could be the problem?

MiztaZiggy

Yeah I think so.

Interesting you say 'anymore', did you have finger pain at one time? Did you cure it?

castlee

When I started out, I used to have a problem with finger pain. When I was at full draw, I tended to notice that the string was pulling the joints between my metacarpals and fingers into an extended position, requiring a lot of tension in my hand to hold onto the string. I know use a hook where the string lies along the gap between the first and second joints, and I keep the back of my hand as relaxed as possible.

(edit) looking at the photo in Ben's post, that's pretty the much the hook I use now

MiztaZiggy

So you mean you let your big first knuckle straighten out and that caused tension and pain?

messyhead

Be careful the string isn't creeping towards your finger tips when fully drawn. There's more tension in your fingers and hand with a finger hook, compared to a deep hook.

Someone in my club recently told me about this, as I had moved to a finger hook as I thought it was a "smoother" release.

But having a deep hook creates less tension, so you end up a more relaxed release.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

modernlongbow

That's food for thought, as I shoot off the finger tips of the draw hand. By 'deep hook' I suppose you mean the crease of the first joint.

messyhead

That's food for thought, as I shoot off the finger tips of the draw hand. By 'deep hook' I suppose you mean the crease of the first joint.
Yeah, that's what I aim for. I notice when I'm getting tired that the string creeps towards the finger tips. The archer in my club knows his stuff, so I trusted what he was saying. He also said there was some study done, and it found that the hand is more relaxed with a deep hook as there's not as much tension. So when you release, the fingers 'flop' out of the way faster as the muscles aren't tense. Since I've changed, my release does feel better.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I started shooting in October with 22# limbs and soon wanted to increase the poundage. I shot every other day at least, between 100 and 200 arrows, at home and had no issues really.
TBH I think you may have just over done the shooting. At 100-200 arrows at least every other day, could be 1000 arrows a week, is a lot, and possibly without the best form. I would rest until the jpints stop hurting then start again from 22lb and take it slower.

ben tarrow

By 'deep hook' I suppose you mean the crease of the first joint.
Not quite.

Deep hook IS the first joint, but you also bend the second joint so that the second joint forms a right angle between the section of finger between the first and second joint and the second and third joint

Picture=1000 words etc
WIN_20170123_22_56_36_Pro_LI_Moment.jpg