First Bow

Tatty-Drew

Damn, in the wrong place, this should be under 'bow building' - First Bow

A fairly common post I would guess. I've been shooting for a while but after making all my arrows, leather work (etc) and with a practical mindset been keen to complete the set and make a bow of my own.

After a lot of research and planning I went for a Ash-Mahogany-Ash laminate - which might not be ideal but I'm saving a Maple-Walnut-Oak strips for a better second try.

Everything seems to be going okay but I've been tilling it slowly on and off for a week now and I'm not seeing a clear progression develope - which is where I thought to ask advice from those with a bit more experience.

fig 1.1

Trying to put some care and process into it I've been using my engineering background to try and regulate the process. This image shows the current bow state. Drawn to 14" off flat. Red shows the line of the back, blue the radius of curvature and green shows curvature value. Curvature is based off a free-hand spline so I've taken several lines to provide a range - but the trends are clear. The two smooth green lines show the curvature for the radii circles (almost and average or ideal curvature).

fig 1.2

The same as above but with the engineering turned off.

What I've taken from this is the lower (LHS) limb is too stiff and the upper (RHS) had a hinge developing (between the clamps) which has now been spread out across most of the limb lenght by removing wood. Potential hinges are developing in the lower limb but aren't too strong yet but the tip is very stiff.

My questions:
I've been slowly hand sanding and scrapping the lower limb (x10 strokes at a time) and following the Bowyers Bible advice but the stiffness doesn't seem to change much - what approach is best taken for this/is the flex in the other limb limiting any changes I might be causing lower limb?
Is the current state of flex in the upper (RHS) limb anything to be worried about or worked against or this the hinge suitably removed now. Should I work at getting some more flex into the tip and near the mid-bow?

I hope I've made some sense but I've got to the point where lack of any real progess has me chomping at the bit to go at the limbs with something more heavy duty than a scrapper (though thankfully so far I've resisted).

Any advice is very greatfully received.

Cheers

-Drew

D

Deleted member 7654

You need to be using a medium rasp or file at this stage.
My personal view is that scrapers are more of a finishing tool.
I'd almost get to your stage using an axe!
The maths and curves is fun if its your bag, (I'm an electronics design eng') but use your eyes and your fingers...I've writen this before for someone else, so search through the forum.
(It's the 'oak board bow' thread which should be helpfull)
You are spot on in your analysis...I write a big W on any weak point with a pencil and don't touch it at all.
While the limbs are still relatively thick you can remove wood at a reasonable rate, but chek it on the tiller often.
Once you get it back to the effective finished bracing height then slow down as it starts to all happen quickly then, it's very much an exponential process.
Getting from bracing height back to full draw can be done in a couple of hours...but it's far better to take it 'little and often' with plenty of picture taking tea drinking and head scratching in between.
Good luck
Del
BTW. Try to get some staves to play with, 'real wood' adds some fun and can be had for free :)

dusty

Having read the post here are some thoughts
The points that you have made are not far from the mark
I would suggest that you trust your eyes and instinct as this is right nine times out of ten and don't over Annalise
I would be a bit concerned about the thickness of the back from the picture it looks the same thickness as the belly and may over power the belly a ash back and belly is a good combination.
I would be looking to make the back no thicker than 4 mm thick

Tatty-Drew

Dusty and Del,
Thank for the advice - things seem be coming on okay unfortunately I'm busy with work to get things finished.

The back is a lot thinner now but once I'm back on it I'll stick some updated images up.

You mention working with staves, I thought to do this originally but I had a real job finding any suitable wood. You say 'free' so I'm taking it that you mean coming out of the woods - and advice on what to look for. How long can wood lie on the ground before it becomes too unhealthy to be used for a bow?

Cheers

-Drew

D

Deleted member 7654

. How long can wood lie on the ground before it becomes too unhealthy to be used for a bow?-Drew
It depends, I've had wood which was down for quite a while (Elm, when we had all that Dutch Elm disease) Some wood rots quite quickly, but you can find trees which have fallen, but are still attached at a few points and thus not dead... I got a nice bit of cherry it was still sprouting leaves but was virtually horizontal. If you saw it off at 45degrees near the ground (e.g. Coppice it) you will probably help it regenerate and will be improving the woodland.
You may also find stuff cut down by kids, I always stand on a log/branch if it bounces it is worth looking at, if it snaps it's rotten. OK you may have to look at a lot to find a good un, but most wood will make some sort of bow, it's fun, it's free...get into the habit of looking at every tree and every patch of woodland...keep an eye open for those half fallen trees.
If you find stuff butchered by kids, saw the stump off neatly to help it regrow...I'w seen a few saplings hacked down with axes at about 2' above ground, tidying 'em up at about 10" and 45degrees is a good thing...it helps to put back what you are taking out.
Respect the woodland and you'll find plenty of timber, also look out for trees marked with paint for felling. There is a nice big Hazel near me which the council have marked as it is getting dangerous, and could fall into the road (not if I get it first! :) ) I have been known to judiciously thing Ash where a planting has been too dense:lookaroun
Del