First Bowman score

Alison

Just shot my first ever Bowman score of 249 (70 metres, Ladies Barebow)! :poulies:

I only started shooting 15 months ago and switched to barebow in March this year. As I am only pulling 20lb, I couldn't reach the further distances with recurve using sights. Also, when I added all the bits on my long rod, it just got too heavy for me. So i thought i would give barebow a try. This is so much more fun!

Vagabond

Hi Alison

Congratulations, that's pretty impressive shooting barebow & with a 20lb bow.
You done any competitions yet?

V

Alison

My 2nd bowman score on a 70m today! One less than my last score, but I lost on the head-to-head afterwards.

I've done one tournament as barebow and came first. As I was the only barebow lady it was probably not surprising! But I did shoot my first 1st class score then.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
did the SCAS clout championship on sunday and surprisingly there were more barebow archers than any other category. You should try it, a beautiful walk interrupted by picking up a few shicks in the grass.

Alison

Not tried clout yet, but think it may be too far with this bow. I am gap shooting and the gap for 70m is already miles above the target. On Friday my point of aim was "up from the blue on the left hand side, to an imaginary line drawn in the gap between the roof lines of two houses in the distance, then down a bit"!
At least there is no problem finding my arrows, they stick up so far if they hit the green!

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
You will surprise yourself about how far you can launch an arrow with your draw weight with a good release. Being a bit of an anorak I calculated the angle needed to get 180yds with a 28lb draw weight and sundays usual elevation put my arrows about 5yds past the furthest edge of the circle, so overshooting by about 12 yds. This may not mean much but my elevation was around 22 deg, so could launch an arrow over 300yds at max elevation (45deg). Your bow would be about ideal for 140yds clout as the parabola on which your arrows fly will be more forgiving than the flatter trajectories of the more powerful bows when it comes to small variations of angle or arrow speed. just a matter of getting the feel for what is the right angle of dangle.