First dozen arrows for my longbow

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Evening all,
in a couple of days I shall start attempting to make some arrows for my lovely new 48# longbow, so apologies in advance to anyone in the Northamptonshire area that hears any sudden prolonged bursts of robust Anglo-Saxon.
I have all the bits and pieces ready and waiting thanks to the longbowshop.
11/32 spruce shafts 40/45# spine (pine was out of stock sadly)
80 grain brass screw on bullet points as ill be starting with indoor target shooting
3" shield Black hen fletches and white cock fletch
black plastic nocks
and hopefully if I manage to do it right, homemade waterslide decals for naming and numbering purposes.
As today I've been released back into the wild after knee surgery it gives me plenty of time to not royally bugger things up.
updates and pics will be forthcoming as and when.
Matt

Corax67

Hi Matt - wondered why you decided to go for 11/32” shafts?

I only ask because I shoot a 52# @ 28# and my arrows are POC 5/16” 35/40 shafts with 80gn points and 3” feathers - good for point on 12 o’clock white at 100yds.

Had considered maybe making a half dozen set of 11/32” for indoor with huge fletchings but then remembered I’m shooting longbow so the extra 1/32” isn’t really going to earn me that many more points (haha)

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
how long are your arrows?
there are advantages for the slimmer shafts at distance but for indoors the fatter arrows with bigger fletches straigten up quicker so you have to think about making another set for longer range

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Matt - wondered why you decided to go for 11/32” shafts?

I only ask because I shoot a 52# @ 28# and my arrows are POC 5/16” 35/40 shafts with 80gn points and 3” feathers - good for point on 12 o’clock white at 100yds.

Had considered maybe making a half dozen set of 11/32” for indoor with huge fletchings but then remembered I’m shooting longbow so the extra 1/32” isn’t really going to earn me that many more points (haha)
I was working with the theory that bigger = harder to break so no great ideas behind it just me being a skinflint

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
how long are your arrows?
there are advantages for the slimmer shafts at distance but for indoors the fatter arrows with bigger fletches straigten up quicker so you have to think about making another set for longer range
Im undecided yet I’m thinking 30 inch to give a little extra room for replacement of broken tips when I think I see a Frenchman behind the target and hit a wall or frame :)
Thanks Id not thought about outdoor ranges yet

Corax67

I was working with the theory that bigger = harder to break so no great ideas behind it just me being a skinflint

😂 sadly not the case, hit a target frame wrong and any arrow will ping - the problem is the added weight will make long distance shooting much harder.

Corax67

Im undecided yet I’m thinking 30 inch to give a little extra room for replacement of broken tips when I think I see a Frenchman behind the target and hit a wall or frame :)
Thanks Id not thought about outdoor ranges yet

Think recurve arrows when you think longbow arrows - extra length equals extra weight and every ounce counts with a stick & string because of the much lower arrow velocity pound for pound of draw weight compared to recurve.

My draw is 28”, my arrows are 28.5” - I know I’m at full draw when I see brass sitting tight in front of my gloved bow hand knuckle.

Snapping off points is an occupational hazard of longbow, I recycle the shafts as plant canes, unless you have a mare you’ll probably only kill maybe 2 or 3 arrows a season of once a week shooting.

Karl

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Think recurve arrows when you think longbow arrows - extra length equals extra weight and every ounce counts with a stick & string because of the much lower arrow velocity pound for pound of draw weight compared to recurve.

My draw is 28”, my arrows are 28.5” - I know I’m at full draw when I see brass sitting tight in front of my gloved bow hand knuckle.

Snapping off points is an occupational hazard of longbow, I recycle the shafts as plant canes, unless you have a mare you’ll probably only kill maybe 2 or 3 arrows a season of once a week shooting.

Karl
Thanks Karl
Even recurve barebow I don’t sight down the arrow I prefer to rock it instinctive stylee, just seems to suit me better.
The other theory with the longer length is part of my natural conservatism I can always take a bit off if needed rather than go for the rather dated stigmata look :-D

Last edited:

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
And then there were 11 :oops:
Yup old ham fist strikes again, a bit of a curve in one shaft and let’s just give it a tweak I thought.
No prizes for guessing what happened next