First Kit ~ SF Forged PLus

fluffchucker

Yesterday I went to get my bow kit & after looking long & hard at which riser to buy, I decided on the Hoyt Horizon over the SF Forged Plus.
After considering four archery shops, all about 1.5 hours drive away, I decided on going to see Tony Drabble at Eakring, Newark as the package he supplied with some modifications & extras, best suited what I was looking for.

In the shop & handling the Horizon riser I found that the grip & feel was extremely comfortable. However, what I wasn't impressed with was the finish. With this being a painted bow, I considered it would be prone to chipping & flaking over time. The grip was large, which suited me, was plastic.

I then had a look at the SF Forged Plus, which admittedly is a few grams heavier than the Horizon, but not that noticeable. The finish is anodised & extremely smooth & the stainless steel longrod bushing appears to be well set in to the forging. Also, the grip is a comfortable soft touch rubberised finish, not as big as the Hoyt [I have quite large hands], but as I will not be carrying it in a suitcase fashion, I found it easily manageable.

Tony then set up the SF G-Fibre Foam+ Limbs & I had a few trial shots which were sporadic. The limbs were changed +2lb & a long rod added & after some minor tweaking I was grouping quite well, albeit only at 10 yards.
I came away well pleased with my choice & my purchase.

Tonight I'm off to the club, first challenge to see if I can put it all together, then to see if I can find the target at 25 yards

Grum

congratulations, when do we see some photo's? As was said in the thread, most people find a particular riser is what suits, not always the one you might expect either. Hope you continue to enjoy shooting it for a good few years!

fluffchucker

Tonight was the first time out with the SF Forged Plus & hoped I was putting all the alien bits together.
Having only used 28lb limbs before, I was sceptical whether I would manage the 34lb for very long. Never had a long rod fitted neither so that was another challenge.
After 1 1/4 hr I was feeling the strain across the shoulders & back muscles. Just wish I hadn't been so eager to shoot as I missed doing a warm up first, so that will teach me next time.
All in all, I'm well pleased with the kit, seeing as though the sight had been set for 10 yds & I was shooting at 20 yds

reiver

Enjoy shooting your new kit. On first reading I though you had bought the hoyt after having had a go with the SF, but seems you chose the SF after all! What was it that made you chose the SF? Was it that soft-touch grip?

fluffchucker

reiver;bt15574 said:
Enjoy shooting your new kit. On first reading I though you had bought the hoyt after having had a go with the SF, but seems you chose the SF after all! What was it that made you chose the SF? Was it that soft-touch grip?
Exactly as I said in the third paragraph; Quality of finish & fittings, feel of the grip.
I also liked the colour choice, not the bright shiny ones, but the matt grey as it was non reflective

roytherecurve

Good choice!
I too bought an SF riser over the competition, The SF super-forged Pro, now superseded by the Super-forged+.
What won it over for me was the independent tiller and weight adjustment straight off the Inno pro.
What you get, Effectively, is a Win & Win riser for about two thirds the price. The Limbs are equally good and complement the riser very well. All i need to do now is improve my shooting (again) to get the best out of them.
The finish is painted rather than anodized but this has proved to be tough and hard wearing with no major blemishes or chips after a year and a half of shooting with it.

fluffchucker

My initial blog post may have been a little misleading as to which kit I finally ended up buying, so the following is the result;-
  • SF Forged Plus riser
  • G-Fibre Foam + Limbs
  • SF Arrow Rest
  • SF Axiom Sight
  • Striker Arm Guard
  • Cartel 3 Tube Quiver
  • SF Elite rucksack case
  • 2 Fastflight String with nock point & kisser
  • 12 Easton Platinum Arrows
  • SF Button
  • A&F Finger Tab
  • Striker Finger Sling
  • SF Axiom Carbon Fibre Stabiliser
  • SF Elite Stand

One problem though, there were no instructions on riser / limb adjustment, or setting up the sight.
The dealer can't supply any & request to Sebastion Flute on their website have had no results.
Searching the AIUK post's doesn't come up with anything up to date.
If anyone can forward details or working web links I would be grateful

fluffchucker

Went to the club, New Century Bowmen, last night to practise shoot my first Portsmouth with my new kit.
Did my warm-up & stretching
Riser & limbs assembled, string on, sight & longrod attached.
Up to the line & 3 sighters loosed, doogh, another 3, another 3

Then realised I might do better with the limbs the right way up.........?(???)?

Ended up with a 451, not brilliant by the standards on this forum, but the longest mile starts with the first step :fluffy:

fluffchucker

Doing my first outdoor shoot on Sunday, a Frostbite, with no practise.
Not a clue how much to change my sights though.
How much difference is 20 yds to 30 mtr?

fluffchucker

It's now nearly two months since I started with my SF Forged plus.
Every Tuesday night after a session at the club, I'm ready to put it on eBay.
Thursday nights session, I'm glad I didn't get rid of it.
`Portsmouth' PB's were creeping up slowly;- 451 - 454 - 456
Then 2 weeks ago I changed my stance to open & what a difference;- 469 & tonight a 488
Also started shooting a `Bray' for the winter league at the beginning of December
This is also creeping up;- 183 - 188 - 197 - 215
Not brilliant, but working on it