First recurve riser for intermediate?

L.M

Hi! I've been playing olympic recurve for over a year and a half now and I'm doing some research over what riser to purchase first time. So many options though, so please help by eliminating with me! Here are the options I found so far:
•Kinetic Arios2 25"
•Topoint Unison 25"
•Epic Fusion 25"
Hoyt Grand Prix Xact 25"
•Fivics Vellator V2 25"
•Spigarelli Zen 25"
•WNS Elite Forged 25"
•Win & Win Winex II 25"
•Gillo G2K 25"

Just some facts about me is that I'm quite short, so will be pairing it with short limbs. Max weight for now 34. I'm left-handed but I already eliminated the options that are RH only, but if you know that a specific model is more functional for LH users, would love to know. I found very significant pros and cons for each riser, but I'd love to hear your personal experience if you've tried one of them or just thoughts as to what of these (or any other recommendations) is the best long-term option. Max budget is $400 though, but could be influenced if there's something more suitable! Thank you! :)

LittleSkink

Which of these have you been able to handle? the grip, feel and balance varies quite a lot

I have Gillo G2K, it is quite neutral in balance because it is designed to be shot barebow. It also has slots in the lower half of the riser to add more weight to modify that feel/balance. The weight is slightly higher than some, if you are after creating a light bow that might be a concern. I believe it is not recommend to exceed 40lb on the fingers with this riser

The Gillo stock grip isnt great, but there are plenty of after market ones, true of quite a few risers on your list though

The Gillo finish is also a bit delicate, it is a matt anodising, looks great but marks fairly easily - if that bothers you

The other riser I seriously considered was WNS Motive, comfy grip, nice finish, quite light, wasn't so keen on the balance when set up as a barebow

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Any of your list would make a great riser for an intermediate archer. I think, if you are after ordering without trying, slightly risky, but I have found I get used to any bow really quickly, then look out for deals. An example, I was looking at a Winex II in our club just this week thinking what a nice looking riser it is. Then checked the wizardry website just now to see a left handed in blue marked down to £248. Over £100 off, that's ridiculously good value if you like blue :) Other archery shops are available :)

L.M

Which of these have you been able to handle? the grip, feel and balance varies quite a lot

I have Gillo G2K, it is quite neutral in balance because it is designed to be shot barebow. It also has slots in the lower half of the riser to add more weight to modify that feel/balance. The weight is slightly higher than some, if you are after creating a light bow that might be a concern. I believe it is not recommend to exceed 40lb on the fingers with this riser

The Gillo stock grip isnt great, but there are plenty of after market ones, true of quite a few risers on your list though

The Gillo finish is also a bit delicate, it is a matt anodising, looks great but marks fairly easily - if that bothers you

The other riser I seriously considered was WNS Motive, comfy grip, nice finish, quite light, wasn't so keen on the balance when set up as a barebow
I haven't had the chance to try any of their handles, since they're not frequently found on my side. Will have to be going in blind luck and recs!

Will Gillo G2K being made for barebow hinder me as an olympic recurve player?

L.M

Any of your list would make a great riser for an intermediate archer. I think, if you are after ordering without trying, slightly risky, but I have found I get used to any bow really quickly, then look out for deals. An example, I was looking at a Winex II in our club just this week thinking what a nice looking riser it is. Then checked the wizardry website just now to see a left handed in blue marked down to £248. Over £100 off, that's ridiculously good value if you like blue :) Other archery shops are available :)
Wow, that's the real magic to us indeed. Thanks for the tip!

LittleSkink

Will Gillo G2K being made for barebow hinder me as an olympic recurve player?
others are more expert than I but, as I understand it, a riser "intended" for barebow (like Gillo G2) tends to balance differently because it is less likely to have stabilisers etc. fitted

The Gillo needs an arrow rest and plunger, just like Olympic. If you want it to, it can take clicker, sights, stabilisers etc. - I dont know how it will feel in the hand once so equipped, without them it is nice and neutral (which is what I prefer)

Reactions: L.M

Stretch

In this price bracket I’d always look for a bargain first. So either something new heavily reduced because it is an older model or something secondhand. Left hand can be a bane and a blessing, you just need some luck. So former top shelf rises like the Hoyt Epik and W&W AXT would be in that price bracket. (A left handed Hoyt Exceed went for $475 on a certain well known US forum recently... bargains can be had).

If you can’t find something that pushes your buttons then pick the one you like the look of the most. Ideally not from the first 3 on your list - nothing against them but buying blind is usually safer with the better known brands - and I suspect the Vellator is a bit below the remaining risers on that list. But I’d also add the Mybo Wave and Gillo G1 Which are both sub $400.

Stretch

L.M

In this price bracket I’d always look for a bargain first. So either something new heavily reduced because it is an older model or something secondhand. Left hand can be a bane and a blessing, you just need some luck. So former top shelf rises like the Hoyt Epik and W&W AXT would be in that price bracket. (A left handed Hoyt Exceed went for $475 on a certain well known US forum recently... bargains can be had).

If you can’t find something that pushes your buttons then pick the one you like the look of the most. Ideally not from the first 3 on your list - nothing against them but buying blind is usually safer with the better known brands - and I suspect the Vellator is a bit below the remaining risers on that list. But I’d also add the Mybo Wave and Gillo G1 Which are both sub $400.

Stretch
Thanks a lot! I'd love to go for second-hand, but the shipment overseas will probably end up costing me double its actual price. Hence why I have to go for something new, packed with a friend coming from outside the US.

I've been told the Gillo G2K is intended for barebow; is the same case with the G1?

L.M

just out of interest, what do you shoot now?

And what (if anything) would like to keep/change about the feel of it?
I'm now using a club riser from a local vendor, so it's not much and I don't have much to base expectations on. I did notice that the grip (probably metal) reacts a bit harshly to my skin, since I have very sensitive skin and it nearly always peels off the lower bit of skin between my thumb and index.

Stretch

Thanks a lot! I'd love to go for second-hand, but the shipment overseas will probably end up costing me double its actual price. Hence why I have to go for something new, packed with a friend coming from outside the US.

I've been told the Gillo G2K is intended for barebow; is the same case with the G1?
As the US is generally like-for-like cheaper than Europe I’m not sure why you’d have someone smuggle something in and the have to deal with the supplier internationally for warranty (If something happens). Go to Lancaster. Or you not in mainland US? (I assumed because you listed you budget in $ on a primarily UK site.)

The info on the Gillo is incorrect. Both the G2K and G1 are suitable for use as an Olympic riser.
  1. It says so on the Gillo website
  2. It has a clicker bushing and clicker plate which is a bit of a giveaway
There are very few “Barebow specific” risers and I doubt any of those weigh less than 1.5kg and usually look like somone welded some rebar onto the bottom of the riser or the ends of the riser.

You’re over complicating this. :p

Stretch

L.M

As the US is generally like-for-like cheaper than Europe I’m not sure why you’d have someone smuggle something in and the have to deal with the supplier internationally for warranty (If something happens). Go to Lancaster. Or you not in mainland US? (I assumed because you listed you budget in $ on a primarily UK site.)

The info on the Gillo is incorrect. Both the G2K and G1 are suitable for use as an Olympic riser.
  1. It says so on the Gillo website
  2. It has a clicker bushing and clicker plate which is a bit of a giveaway
There are very few “Barebow specific” risers and I doubt any of those weigh less than 1.5kg and usually look like somone welded some rebar onto the bottom of the riser or the ends of the riser.

You’re over complicating this. :p

Stretch
Ah yeah I worded it wrong there; I don't live in the US. Living in the US would've made everything about this sport easier lol!! My country isn't that attentive to archery as a sport, and we have only two suppliers who are both RH-biased, so I rarely even find anything suitable. That's why I have to resort to buying one from outside either from the US or the UK mainly.

Thanks for the heads up about Gillo! And yeah, I know I'm definitely complicating this, I've been told three times already😂 But I've been so passionate about archery that it's probably the only long-term practice I'll ever commit to, and been wanting to be certain about what is going to come my way. Also the fact that buying and selling is not so easy here makes me rethink over and over since that bow will definitely be sticking with me for a while, you know? But I'm getting there, fingers crossed!!😊

LittleSkink

this does a better job of explaining the fuzzy boundary between "barebow" and "olympic" risers: Bare As You Dare

Dont know how different these risers are in reality, I was only able to handle a couple before purchase. The Gillo hung neutral in my hand while others tipped (which I didnt like), presumably adding stabilisers would change that feel

Since I dont plan to use stabilisers and prefer a neutral balance in my hand I got the Gillo

L.M

this does a better job of explaining the fuzzy boundary between "barebow" and "olympic" risers: Bare As You Dare

Dont know how different these risers are in reality, I was only able to handle a couple before purchase. The Gillo hung neutral in my hand while others tipped (which I didnt like), presumably adding stabilisers would change that feel

Since I dont plan to use stabilisers and prefer a neutral balance in my hand I got the Gillo
That was a very helpful article; thanks for sharing it!!

Guthormsen

Hi! I've been playing olympic recurve for over a year and a half now and I'm doing some research over what riser to purchase first time. So many options though, so please help by eliminating with me! Here are the options I found so far:
•Kinetic Arios2 25"
•Topoint Unison 25"
•Epic Fusion 25"
Hoyt Grand Prix Xact 25"
•Fivics Vellator V2 25"
•Spigarelli Zen 25"
•WNS Elite Forged 25"
•Win & Win Winex II 25"
•Gillo G2K 25"

Just some facts about me is that I'm quite short, so will be pairing it with short limbs. Max weight for now 34. I'm left-handed but I already eliminated the options that are RH only, but if you know that a specific model is more functional for LH users, would love to know. I found very significant pros and cons for each riser, but I'd love to hear your personal experience if you've tried one of them or just thoughts as to what of these (or any other recommendations) is the best long-term option. Max budget is $400 though, but could be influenced if there's something more suitable! Thank you! :)
Why not build your own riser, really quite easy.