Flat Bow refinish

Stiks

Hi all,
Back here after a good while out of archery.
I'm wanting to refinish my Blackbrook Zeta C. I've searched for Andy's site but it appears he's closed shop, I hope it was not illness?
My income is really low these days so doubt I could afford a refinish by him anyway but his advice would've been welcome.

As you no doubt know it has a carbon fibre back, it's not bare carbon, obviously has a finish of some type over it, epoxy, lacquer or ?
I was thinking of using a good spar varnish like TotalBoat Clear 2, it's easy to apply dries quickly and builds up nicely, friendly to use.

I'm not inexperienced with a brush but by no means an expert. I'd appreciate some advice / guidance re-coating this great bow?

Then it's practice, practice and practice some more before joining the NFAS again. :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Not really my thing as I make wooden bows, but I'd think a polyeurathane would do the job and be sufficiently flexible.
The real question is why?... Is it to keep out moisture or cosmetic? If it's cosmetic, I personally wouldn't bother as there's the potential to do more harm than good with the preparation.
If you spray or brush, the quality of finish is generally down to proparation and applying multiple thin coats, with rubbing down between.
Del

Stiks

Hi Del,
Thanks for your reply. I have a dodgy left claw so had to modify the grip some. Thought I'd redo the whole bow to remove the odd scratch or two on the finish. I was prepared to finish it correctly as you say good preparation and thin coats. I'm more concerned with how the new finish will adhere to old finish or the carbon / glass if it becomes exposed.
I'd imagine the coating applied by Andy would be thick enough for a light sanding not to expose the glass/carbon.
However, I may take your advice and just redo the grip area and leave the rest be. ... Steve.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Do a test patch before you redo the whole area. You can get a reaction between old finishes and new which necessitates removing the new finish and starting again.

Stiks

It does say it will go on top of most finishes. Thank you, I'll do a test patch to be sure.

bownarra

Sand the entire thing with 80 grit, then go down through the grits to 240 - no need at all to go finer. In fact going finer is a mistake.
It isn't so much the application I would worry about more how durable it is. Most finishes make claims that don't hold up!
The best finish for your bow is called Thunderbird - not much else even comes close :)
A two part clear car lacquer is probably your best bet.

Stiks

Sand the entire thing with 80 grit, then go down through the grits to 240 - no need at all to go finer. In fact going finer is a mistake.
It isn't so much the application I would worry about more how durable it is. Most finishes make claims that don't hold up!
The best finish for your bow is called Thunderbird - not much else even comes close :)
A two part clear car lacquer is probably your best bet.
Great thank you I'll buy some Thunderbird, just what I was after, no finer than 240 got it, cheers!

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'm wanting to refinish my Blackbrook Zeta C. I've searched for Andy's site but it appears he's closed shop, I hope it was not illness?
My income is really low these days so doubt I could afford a refinish by him anyway but his advice would've been welcome.
Hi
Andy retired but is still around on email, and will make strings for his bows, all the formers and other equipment went to Roger Massey of 1066 Field Archery based near Hastings.

Stiks

Hi
Andy retired but is still around on email, and will make strings for his bows, all the formers and other equipment went to Roger Massey of 1066 Field Archery based near Hastings.
Thank you very much for the information. I hope Andy is enjoying his retirement.
Cheers! Go safely, Steve.