Fletching ACC’s

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
I was lucky enough to get a set of ACC’s from Merlin.

I just got them made up for me as it was only a few quid extra rather than going to the bother of fletching them myself.

But…in the event of losing a fletch how do you treat the shaft before replacing it?

Ive only ever used aluminium’s and simply scraped the old glue off with a knife but do you do the same with ACC’s

Will it damage the carbon coating or am I overthinking it?

AJBrady

I just got them made up for me as it was only a few quid extra rather than going to the bother of fletching them myself.

But…in the event of losing a fletch how do you treat the shaft before replacing it?

Ive only ever used aluminium’s and simply scraped the old glue off with a knife but do you do the same with ACC’s

The answer is, “very,very carefully” especially as your arrows are like hens’ teeth.
I ALWAYS use a vane remover. If they used normal cement, it won’t be too bad, but superglue is a swine to remove. I stupidly once used superglue on a bare ACC and it took hours of very gentle scraping with a scalpel to remove every last trace of glue. You can get liquid superglue remover, but it’s stupidly expensive for a tiny bottle and I don’t know if it has any adverse effect on the epoxy.
For those reasons I always use self-adhesive wraps, a bit more expensive, but if you order the longest length and cut them to the minimum length you get more for your money (I’ve got Scottish and Yorkshire ancestry!). As ACC are virtually irreplaceable they’re worth it.

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
Thanks, that’s more or less what I suspected. They will have been done with proper fletching glue as Merlin did them themselves.

I‘m fortunate (?) to have a low draweight and there still seems to be bare shafts available in my size at a reasonable price.

I bought 8 and on further thought I’m going to get another 6 which should see me good for a good few years. I’m unlikely to ever increase poundage at my stage in life.

I shot them at a club meet last night and liked them. Overkill for indoors probably my scores were certainly up.

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
I just got an email from Merlin saying all the remaining ACC’s are to be returned to the warehouse for online sales.

However as they know I’m looking for 6 more they are going to keep them aside for me.

Really good customer service I thought.

Catapult

I've shot ACC's for ages - love'em. However, as they become more scarce now and stock level dwindle, what would be their equivalent, either from Easton or another manufacturer?

nbuuifx

I use ACC arrows, I use arrow wraps from arrow socks and XS Wings, which just stick on with a sort of double sided tape. They are light weight but perhaps not quite as durable, but then you can replace them in a couple of minutes without any tools.

nbuuifx

Is there any more information on these apart from the listing on Merlin's site?

Alimax Arrows

I've tried my best GoogleFu but not coming up with anything.
The basics are there. The straightness tolerance matches the ACC arrows but isn't as good as ace or x10.

However the weight tolerance isn't as good as the ACC. The ACC arrows are +/- 0.5gn, these are +/- 1gn

And they seem to have an odd internal diameter so you need to use their points and pins.

They should be a good enough alternative to an ACC though. I guess it is wait and see time! I'm sure there will be reviews soon.

I know a lot who have moved to the skylon arrows now, but they are carbon only so can't be shot everywhere.

Rockets

What do you need to know, availability now - Feb
A spine chart would be nice, I'm on that border of 500 or 450's and it can vary depending on manufacturer it seems. I'll just have to wait and see till they are properly released and some one else buys and & posts their review of them.

I know a lot who have moved to the skylon arrows now
I've been trying to find Skylon Paragon or Premiems in 450 spine and nobody seems to have stock. Precium's and Performas there's some very limited stock available if you can find the points. After that the shaft choices for 32" get really expensive so the Alimax's are on my radar now.

nbuuifx

A spine chart would be nice, I'm on that border of 500 or 450's and it can vary depending on manufacturer it seems. I'll just have to wait and see till they are properly released and some one else buys and & posts their review of them.

I've been trying to find Skylon Paragon or Premiems in 450 spine and nobody seems to have stock. Precium's and Performas there's some very limited stock available if you can find the points. After that the shaft choices for 32" get really expensive so the Alimax's are on my radar now.
I know that most of our archers weren't using skylon points. If I remember correctly, and please research first, they were using the decut Tungsten points which were meant for the x10 arrows.

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
The outcome of an ACC hitting a brick wall.

Don’t panic it wasn’t one of my recent acquisitions.

We must have inherited half a dozen at some point that have been integrated into the club arrows that we use for induction courses. Unfortunately one of the younger members missed the backstop net entirely and hit the wall. And that was only with a poundage in the teens.

I think it would be a bit messy with a stronger bow.

Attachments

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
we'll be recommending the alimax to our newer archers looking to move up to carbons. we share a field and the all carbon is a nono with us. perhaps one day .. our own field and we wont need to care! Have to cut our own grass though! :unsure:

Julian SKB

As AJBRADY says you scrape Fletching glue off very carefully and use nail varnish removers for superglue. I have been using Bohning Platinum fetching glue for years on my carbon alloy arrows with no problems, the secret is to make sure the shaft and the vane has been de-greased with methylated or denatured spirit before applying. I still need to replace fletches occasionally but getting them off is a pain, the fletch will tear before the glue fails so a fletch stripper or similar is a good idea. The loss of the ACC and ACG is a great shame as they were good intermediate arrow for those moving up into a competitive level.

oldwibowhunter

Have been using ACC'S & X10 Pro Tours for years & have ALWAYS used wraps on them so as not to pull any carbon on the shafts
when replacing a vane. Use a stripper very carefully to remove the vane base & sand to remove the glue resin base & clean with alcohol, then replace the vane. You may not like wraps, but they will save the carbon on your shafts & a cheap way of saving the shaft.