FLEX - EVO 15 .019 Anyone used this serving material?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Fancy Dacron. The writeups imply they've treated it in some fashion, which probably makes it better than soft twist...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Soft twist was the cheapest, original modern serving material. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but there's stuff which works better, for me. Kind of thing you see on beginner's course equipment, everywhere.

Back when it came out, I used braided nylon serving, then moved to various forms of HMPE (I notice there's a Flex Evo 20, which is HMPE), which is just stronger/tougher. My usual material in recent years has been Angel Majesty, not cheap, but it works the way I want it to and I don't make enough strings for the cost to be an issue, especially since I stopped doing end servings, and only have the centre to do.

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
Angel Majesty centre servings here as well, though I'm on .014 Halo for the ends at the moment (recurve)

Bowshooter

Soft twist was the cheapest, original modern serving material. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but there's stuff which works better, for me. Kind of thing you see on beginner's course equipment, everywhere.

Back when it came out, I used braided nylon serving, then moved to various forms of HMPE (I notice there's a Flex Evo 20, which is HMPE), which is just stronger/tougher. My usual material in recent years has been Angel Majesty, not cheap, but it works the way I want it to and I don't make enough strings for the cost to be an issue, especially since I stopped doing end servings, and only have the centre to do.
Is this better than the Evo 15? BROWNELL - #4 TWISTED SERVING THREAD (.021) that is another I'm looking at but I also came across this BCY - 400 MULTIFILAMENT SOFT SERVING THREAD but the product page for that states it to be for end servings and not centre servings. I don't really want to blow lots of money on an expensive spool of serving thread at this point hence why I'm looking at the cheaper ones.

Flex Evo 20
Yeah I've seen that too on there, but the product information only mentions end servings and compound cable ends. Does that mean there are other products better suited for centre servings?

Last edited:

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Angel Majesty centre servings here as well, though I'm on .014 Halo for the ends at the moment (recurve)
Yes, I use Angel for the centre too; I really like it.

I have a collection of end of reels from various manufacturers in various colours and I just use what takes my fancy for the end servings. I never thought that it really mattered for the ends.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
This centre/end serving thing: I've never been convinced it makes much difference. If something will work for centre, then I don't see why it wouldn't for ends (other way round might make a slight difference). But it's a moot point for me, since I don't make continuous loop strings at the moment.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
This centre/end serving thing: I've never been convinced it makes much difference. If something will work for centre, then I don't see why it wouldn't for ends (other way round might make a slight difference). But it's a moot point for me, since I don't make continuous loop strings at the moment.
Obvious exception: monofilament. But then I hope no-one would be surprised by problems end-serving with that...

Bowshooter

Obvious exception: monofilament. But then I hope no-one would be surprised by problems end-serving with that...
Hi what's monofilament? Is the FLEX - EVO 15 .019 monofilament as it doesn't state multifilament like the others do.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hi what's monofilament? Is the FLEX - EVO 15 .019 monofilament as it doesn't state multifilament like the others do.
No, it isn't, even if it doesn't say so. You can see in the marketing images that it's a twisted multi-strand.
But people don't talk about mono-serving much, anymore. It's more like fine fishing line: a solid single strand. Often transparent or translucent. Fashionable, at one point.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It's more that I have the good, expensive stuff for the centre and use what I have laying about for the ends.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use braided fishing line. Available in a wide range of thicknesses and colours and at a lot less cost.