Foam target repair

Steve619

Hi I'm looking for some help as I've destroyed the centre of my foam target and want to find a way to repair it to prolong its life, don't really want to be spending £25 every couple of weeks.
Does any one have any suggestions as to a repair on the centre foam sheet and a website if possible? I've been looking at foam websites but its way more expensive than buying a whole new target or am I better off switching to straw?
I should say its an ek foam target 2 sheets with a softer core and I tend to shoot at 10m at home

DREWAN

I just use spray foam in a can trick is to do it often before you completely destroy it. Or just make a foam tile one up that will last forever

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I find it is better value to get a layered foam target( like DREWAN's as they can be repaired. They will last longer if you do not use a paper face to aim at as that almost always puts the gold in the same area of the foam and a big hole soon appears.
Aim at small pieces of paper dotted around the target and only shoot a couple of arrows at each. A tight group of six arrows will create a big hole and that loosens the nearby layers.
After a few months, some of the layers will show damage, so I cut the straps and move the damaged layers to the outer layers and bring the better layers from the outer edges into the middle. Then use ratchet straps to tighten everything.

DREWAN

Yeah usually move the face around, and stick the tiles together in packs of 4 so the shot out ones can get moved to the bottom of the stack without it turning into a mess. Get abt 12 mths from 4 packs of tiles so its not bad

williamsga

I agree with 'geoffretired' regarding varying the aiming point. Just to retain some bow fitness I've been shooting approx 3 dozen arrows a day at 5 metres from my 58# compound ( 259fps - short draw length:)) since March this year. The target bag is stuffed with old clothes and is holding up very well indeed. I just move the card around and make a new one once it gets tatty. Note: shooting in a garage with concrete block wall behind target.

20201122_123226.jpg

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
Hi I'm looking for some help as I've destroyed the centre of my foam target and want to find a way to repair it to prolong its life, don't really want to be spending £25 every couple of weeks.
Does any one have any suggestions as to a repair on the centre foam sheet and a website if possible? I've been looking at foam websites but its way more expensive than buying a whole new target or am I better off switching to straw?
I should say its an ek foam target 2 sheets with a softer core and I tend to shoot at 10m at home
Bought a Delta Mckenzie target block, cut out the centre of my layered foam target to same size, fitted the block in the middle, tightened everything up, working pretty well

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Slightly off target (pun intended). I had a Danage target block that had the centre drilled out by compound archers and was scrapped. I cut it in half through the centre and bonded, using a 'builders' foam adhesive, the previous outer edges together to make a new centre section. It can be a bit tougher to pull the arrows if you hit the 'foam layer', but worth the effort to save some ££'s.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
In our small field archery wood we use quite a few home made targets and the ones I would recommend are a doddle to make and cost nearly nothing.

Get a hessian sack and pack it with plastic sheeting, which can be got from bed shops such as Dreams. They are only too glad to give you it for mothing. Fasten the top of the sack with cable ties ans you have a superb target. The arrows penetrate about 5 inches from my 40lb KG Osprey.
The target is really light and easy to move around. We have had them outside for around 16 montha now and they are still fine. They live outdoors 24/7.

You can paint spots or whatever on them with an aerosol. They can then be shot at on the ground or hung up. As I said they are very light.

I've tried to add a picture but it says the file is too large.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Just ordered a new foam boss for my garden. Now to increase its life I shall double it up with my worn out one. Question is do I place the knackered one in front or try and fix it permanently which would make gluing it to the back more practical.
The OP might want to consider using the old target as a sacrificial front to a new one and then do the same when the new one is worn out. should lat 3 times as long as a single target so new boss every 6 weeks or less often if he can cut out the damaged part and use the old one's good edges

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I bought a second layered foam boss when my older one was starting to get very tired. I placed the new one at the back and found that the arrows never got right through the new boss. I think that stopping them from passing right through helps a lot. With the bosses the other way round, the new one would be taking all the damage on its own.
I hang my bosses so that they move away when the arrows strike taking some of their power from them.