From 25 inch riser to 17 inch riser.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Hi All,

I have gone from target to field and was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I have a couple of wooden field bows, A Black Hunter and a KG Osprey and I love both.
My target bow was a W&W CXT riser with W&W Inno EX Power limbs 68 inch @ 34 lbs. I know by watching the same limbs on EBay that nothing is selling well at the moment and rather than give the limbs away for next to nothing I was thinking of getting a 17 inch ILF riser and using that with the Inno limbs to make a 60 inch bow I could shoot in the woods.
I know that with an 8 inch smaller riser the weight of the bow would go up to around 42 lbs but what I was wondering was would doing this make the limbs stack?
I'd love to hear from anyone who has done something similar and know what the result was.
Cheers.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use ordinary ILF target limbs on a 19" riser and a 30" draw length and I've never had an issue. I've done it with three different types of Border, plus Samick and SF limbs. Of course, I can't say for definite that your limbs will be ok.

The only thing that I'd say is don't put too much faith into the poundage increase guidelines; they're only guidelines. You'll need to weigh the bow to know the poundage for definite.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I think you'll be over drawing your limbs. I *think* they'll stack, yes, and you'll significantly shorten their life by regularly shooting them drawn that far. Why not just shoot your 68" bow in the field? Stable, easy to balance with barebow weights and nice to shoot.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I use ordinary ILF target limbs on a 19" riser and a 30" draw length and I've never had an issue. I've done it with three different types of Border, plus Samick and SF limbs. Of course, I can't say for definite that your limbs will be ok.

The only thing that I'd say is don't put too much faith into the poundage increase guidelines; they're only guidelines. You'll need to weigh the bow to know the poundage for definite.
Thanks dvd8n, I was also thinking about a 19 inch riser which would give me 62 inch bow and slightly lower draw weight.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I think you'll be over drawing your limbs. I *think* they'll stack, yes, and you'll significantly shorten their life by regularly shooting them drawn that far. Why not just shoot your 68" bow in the field? Stable, easy to balance with barebow weights and nice to shoot.
Thanks TT, I am a bit worried about overdrawing the limbs, which is why I asked the question and value your opinion.
I can't now shoot the bow as was as I've sold the CXT riser I had. I'd rather sell the limbs too but as I said I don't want to give them away as they are among the best limbs out there.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks dvd8n, I was also thinking about a 19 inch riser which would give me 62 inch bow and slightly lower draw weight.
I went with 19" because I found that the resulting sight window size framed my shots nicely, rather than with the intent of getting a particular bow size. But that's an individual thing you came know what's going to gel without shooting the bow.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It is certainly true that the limbs will be closer to the edge of their performance envelope on a shorter riser. It is true that they may stack. It is true that they may fail sooner. But people shoot shorty risers all over the world and by and large they are putting target limbs on them, and there's not an epidemic of exploding limbs out there. But you may be the unlucky one.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Hang on to them for a bit and pick up a fun one piece on the cheap for a short term play?
I think I may just hang on to them for now and sell them when the archery world picks up again. It would be a shame to damage them.

As to a cheap one piece, I already have a KG Osprey which is a wonderful bow. I also have a Black Hunter which I think is the best value for money bow on the market. Build quality is very good and it shoots beautifully. They are generally available from China for around £70 to £80. A friend of mine found the following on the net where they are selling them for £60 with free delivery. Probably due to the down turn in business due to covid. Five of us in our small field group have these bows and all love them so if anyone wants a very good low price bow I strongly recommend the Black Hunter.

60" 30/35/40/45/50lb Archery Takedown Laminated Recurve Bow Longbow Hunting shooting Target Practice Left Right Hand

Berny

I think I may just hang on to them for now and sell them when the archery world picks up again. It would be a shame to damage them.

As to a cheap one piece, I already have a KG Osprey which is a wonderful bow. I also have a Black Hunter which I think is the best value for money bow on the market. Build quality is very good and it shoots beautifully. They are generally available from China for around £70 to £80. A friend of mine found the following on the net where they are selling them for £60 with free delivery. Probably due to the down turn in business due to covid. Five of us in our small field group have these bows and all love them so if anyone wants a very good low price bow I strongly recommend the Black Hunter.

60" 30/35/40/45/50lb Archery Takedown Laminated Recurve Bow Longbow Hunting shooting Target Practice Left Right Hand
i have both a recurve & longbow BH - exceptional value for money - at those prices not worth messing around with limb swapping!
good build quality & finish!

Ian

AIUK Saviour
I have put my Border 32lb Long cv-w`s on a 21" riser making a 66" bow for field shooting off the shelf 3 fingers under and gap shooting.
Very smooth with no stacking and a delight to shoot,gives a point on at about 50yds with 29" 1916 XX75`s.

D

Deleted member 7654

Surely the answer would be to contact Border and ask their opinion.
AFIK the margin for overdraw on modern limbs is huge. There are videos of them being destruction tested... and they struggle to pull 'em far enough to make em fail.
Del

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I suppose the only answer is to try it. If I can get a loan of a 17 or 19 inch riser I could try the limbs on them.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
While waiting for my 17" Border riser and Uukha Saiga limbs to arrive I used a 17" Timber Creek riser with a standard set of medium 32lb Bamboom limbs to make a 60" 40lb draw weight bow, they performed flawlessly and I won six open field and 3D shoots using them, smooth to full draw and fast. The hardware on the Timber Creek riser left a lot to be desired, but I would be happy to still be shooting them if I hadn't got the sublime Border/Uukha combo

Ian

AIUK Saviour
Surely the answer would be to contact Border and ask their opinion.
AFIK the margin for overdraw on modern limbs is huge. There are videos of them being destruction tested... and they struggle to pull 'em far enough to make em fail.
Del
His limbs are W&W not Border.
Mine are Border and they are just fine.