From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
It no longer seemed 'appropriate' to continue to post on my intro thread so, if only for my own porpoises, I've given it a new home :whiskey:

I'll begin by quoting all the juicy bits in as few posts as this forum will allow, then see how it goes from there.

23rd August 2016

Hello everyone :cheerful:

I'm Aslan, my friends just call me 'Lion'.

At the will of the godz of blue skies & fair winds, I'll be making my return to the noble bow on Sunday, with Tynedale Archers in Hexham, Northumberland after an absence of several decades. So yes, that does make me a 'young (veteran)' ;) I've been no stranger to marksmanship in the interim though, most recently with the much-maligned blowpipe, I was Dutch National Champion from 2009-12.

Fibromyalgia (and age & weight!) has forced me to retire from more physical activities but, inspired by the Olympics, I'm confident that I can look forward to a long career as a target archer.

I've been lurking here for about a week now, while my registration was being approved, so have a good idea of how things work around here. I've also watched dozens of online vids about target archery theory, equipment, technique & competition. I've ordered my 1st bow since the 1970s, a 70" 32lb Core metal pro, which I PRAY will arrive before the weekend. I'm 6' 1" & around 330 lbs. Very stable base ;)
28th August 2016

With less than 3 hours to go until my first shoot in 40 years (Thank you, weather godz!) let's just say I have more pressing issues on my mind. My 'Rookie Bow' arrived on Friday afternoon so I've spent many hours stripping & rebuilding, stringing & de-stringing, tweaking & twiddling, practising my anchor and all the other things that are new & exciting to me even if your buzz-glands have atrophied in the years since you did the same.

But all that is merely the appetiser. Will the main course pop or flop?

...in short, will I enjoy the reality as much as the expectation?

Yes, of course I'll take the time to let y'all know how it went.

Now it's time for my favourite performance-enhancing substance, thick-cut pan-fried smoked bacon. In multi-seed deli buns. With iceberg & sliced tomatoes. Washed down with a big mug of tea. MMMmmmmmm, so good it should be banned.

Laters, tox-oes. May the odds be ever in your favour ;)

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I don't know what's 'gone wrong' but for the past hour, this (censored) forum won't let me post more than 3/4 of the next entry :( :( :(

Too much to do to fret over it now, but I am not amused!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
HaHa, there are always options for bringing recalcitrant technology into line!

6th May 2019

19th May 2019 (Afternoon)

19th May 2019 (Evening)

24th May 2019

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
A blustery wind, 5-17 mph...
Veering from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock & back at a whim...
Occasional fleeting light showers...

Yet on my very first attempt at a WA70m I managed a 218, more than enough for 1/3 of my Class Three Archer qualification. I KNOW I can do better under calmer conditions, my best end was a 39 :fita3:

... but even better, seventy meters just felt 'right'. Natural. Satisfying. Maybe even spiritual?

The walking was a challenge to my FMS, I needed a slack handful of Tramadol when I got home, but the arrows are SO much easier to pull from the straw @ 76 1/2 yds. OK, and a couple which found the woodwork of the frame, while I was finding both my sightmarks & the changing windage compensation.

I confirm - this was an honest WA70, under the eyes of my club coach. I only had 6 sighters before the scoring started, I hadn't even got my coarse azimuth sorted by then - remember my longest recorded sightmark was for 60yds so it was pure guesswork to start with, erring on the side of being short.

I suppose the most important thing is that I enjoyed the #### out of it!

... and I want to do more of it.

:poulies:

Corax67

If a round leaves you hungry for more then it’s been a good day no matter what the score is.

Milder conditions will have a huge positive effect shooting long distance rounds and with luck you’ll be blessed with some of those soon.

Karl

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Too gusty today for WA70. A few light showers too. Only seven shooters present, five barebow.

Had to settle for a 40yd 252.

Missed it by 8 points due to having no sightmarks at that range. It took the sighters round & the 1st end to get close to centred, lost 20 points more on that end than the average for the remaining 5. Forecast for Wednesday evening is similar so will shoot another 252/40 then, expecting to nail it! (best end was a 46 :D )

My groupings are getting tighter, that's the main thing.

I need good marks for 60, 50 & 40 before my compo debut in August anyway. 'Only' need 463 on a Windsor for my penultimate 3rd class score. On todays' form I'd need a scant 100 each from 50 & 60 to get it so no worries.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
HAPPY, HAPPY LION!

Smashed the 40yd 252 - and by as many points as I missed it by on Sunday, so I'm now the uber-proud holder of my first-ever badge :poulies:

(244 + 260)/2 =252

The other 6 members were shooting a Stafford so I moved my target back to 30yds & started using my clicker 'in anger' for the first time. (I'd previously only had 3 shots with it, which only proved that my arrows were still a tad too long) and took to it quickly, banging in over 60% Golds (though I wasn't actually scoring) over the 5 ends I got to shoot before time was called.

Next goal - my 3rd class.

With a qualifying score 'in the bank' from my WA70 debut, I'm thinking I should practice, practice, practice Windsors, in preparation for the Newburn Open on 4th August.

ROLL ON SUNDAY!

(Even if the forecast is 'a bit iffy')

Corax67

Congratulations - the first of what I am sure will be many milestones in your archery.

Karl

chuffalump

Wait! What? Have I misunderstood, or does your club average the 252 scores? Success being determined by an average score of 252 or above?

We would have to get a qualifying score in both for it to count.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Wait! What? Have I misunderstood, or does your club average the 252 scores? Success being determined by an average score of 252 or above?

We would have to get a qualifying score in both for it to count.
Yes, our club takes an average. Which was a pleasant surprise for me! I thought I was handing in my 1st qualifying score but the club Captain explained how they do things. There's no averaging for 'class' qualifications, just for 252's.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Another Wednesday rained off, so I did an extra SPT session instead.

Sunday was good fun but unspectacular, set my marks for 50 yds & had a couple of pops at the 252/50.

- 211 first time, 222 second time :(

Happy with my improving form though - kinda nice to KNOW that when you let one fly, you're certain to hear the distant 'thunk'!

Just waiting for my payday purchases to arrive now. A cheapo spotting scope & 'pod from fleabay, and a bargain Easton QH100 quiver from Centreshot (plus a pair of eBay black combat belts to clip together as no-one in the archery world makes a single belt that's big enough to gird my mighty loins ;) ) all due before Saturday.

The other order I haven't heard anything about since it was confirmed last Friday - it's from The Netherlands & consists of a 3XL chestguard, a bow square (at last!) & (prolly the thing causing the hold-up) a set of Core 'Hit' 70" 40lb limbs for my beginner bow, just gonna use 'em for SPT's to work up towards my next step-up in limbs - I have my eyes on a set of WNS Delta C3's, either 44 or 46 lbs, maybe for chrimbo if I'm a good boy ;)

chuffalump

TWO combat belts strapped together? Just think of how many useful waist pouches you could fit. Molle heaven.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
TWO combat belts strapped together? Just think of how many useful waist pouches you could fit. Molle heaven.
LOL yes that's true, there is lots of room for all sorts of attachments but I'm the kinda guy who likes to travel light ;)

Everything arrived today :D

(Not the Dutch stuff ofc, but everything else plus a couple of wee things I didn't mention above - More of them later :cool: )

The QH100 feels wonderful compared to my 'old' Tec One (& is a lot blacker ;) ) - Everything about it just screams 'quality', from the big magnetic tab pocket to the molded arrow separators. Definitely a huge step up in class, but not so much in price - the Tec One was ?24 +P&P a couple of years ago, I just paid ?30.74 inc P&P for the QH.

Mind you, the Tec One did come with a belt, even if it was over a foot too short for me before I bodged an extension. So I suppose it's only fair to include the pair of belts - ?7.95 delivered - into the price of the QH.

I'm also mega-impressed with 'how much scope I got for my money'. Yes I know it's Chinese & is likely to fall apart in a couple of years but right now it looks impressively designed, sitting on its' long tripod. I'll only know for sure when I'm aiming it at the gold 60yds away (rather than a neighbours' numberplate 20yds away!) but if it helps me makes sight adjustments during an end it'll be well worth the ?38.89 (+ ?19.59 for the tripod, inc P&P for both) I paid.

The relevant 'wee thing' from earlier was a pack of round aluminium spacers, 9.8mm long, 8-32 thread, to complete the 'MkV' version of my sight pin extender. I attached it with Bohning Ferr-l-tite so there are now 2 less screws to rattle loose. They're only about 29p each but with ?4 P&P I got m'sel 8 to justify the postage. Hoping I can pass on the remaining 6 to other archers who want to try true cross-dominant shooting.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I would have posted this earlier, but I've been catching up with the WA champs (just the recurve bitz ;) ) so the absolute first thing to do is add my congratulations on the splendid bronze medal won by our womens' recurve team :D

It was a very satisfying, and rewarding Sunday shoot for me - despite the efforts of the weather godz to ruin it!

We started with warmth & sunshine, which turned to 'gimme my fleece' & overcast with an increasingly gusty breeze then with 2 ends to go, the rain started. By the time we got the targets stashed it was chucking it down, and on the drive home I faced almost monsoon conditions for about 15 miles. Of course, by the time I was home & had brewed a good mug of builders' brew, the sun was out again. Gotta luv the British summer!

Let's get 'the bad' outta the way first, hmm? Guess which idiot, on their very first shot, forgot he'd primed the clicker & fired through it? Yep, right first time! I consider myself fortunate that the only 'casualty' was a ripped vane, but it did mean swapping to my spare arrows & re-sighting before starting my maiden Windsor. The only other 'mishap' was the damper-end falling off my long rod - I'd felt a rattle a few shots before & tightened up 'the usual suspects', only to be caught out. It's the first time that's happened & I don't think it cost me more than a point or two. My final 'oversight' was forgetting to record my marks at 60 before I switched to 50. I have a rough idea where it is but will need to use my sighters end well next time.

Some words on my new scope - Well, first off, I'm glad I've got one now. Yes, the 'pod was a bugger to align vertically but once I'd faffed about a bit it was fine. I was surprised that I had to dial the zoom down to minimum, even at 60 yds, but it sure was good to just move my neck to be able to see exactly where I'd hit, and make adjustments mid-end. I consider it ?60 well spent after its' field-trials.

So yeah, my first-ever Windsor. 178 @ 60, 254 @ 50 & 252 @ 40 for a total of 684, not only giving me my 2nd qualifying score for my 3rd Class (by a LONG way!) but also my 1st for a 252/50. Yes, the 40 score should have been a bit better but I did mention the rain, didn't I?

I have a maximum of 13 sessions before my competition debut so I'm confident my score will improve a lot by then - I'm not expecting to be in the running for medals though, not being last is the first goal.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
A 'somewhat' frustrating Wednesday evening shoot!

Mainly due to being unable to complete my round, which was well on-target for my final qualifier for 3rd class - in fact may even have reached 2nd-class level.

There were only 4 other members in attendance, including the club captain & 2 coaches. Despite extremely good conditions - sunny with a light breeze - they decided they were going to shoot 20yds barebow at a 40cm target. Another phase of the 'indoors outdoors' drive to set handicaps for the upcoming indoor season I guess.

I was left to set up a 60yd target on my own, in the opposite (sunwards) direction to them. I think they were about 3 ends in before I was even ready to shoot. During my sighters I had one which flicked off the frame & took at least a quarter-hour to find as I wasn't able to see which direction it deflected in, putting me further behind.

I did get a decent 4 dozen fired off @ 60yds (I'd intended to do a Windsor, but discovered after 5 ends that I was using my Western scoresheet & decided to just 'go with it') posting 254, leaving me a mere 221 @ 50yds for my qualification - I was very confident as I'd managed 254 in 3 dozen on Sunday, so 340 was well do-able, well within reach of the 595 required for a 2nd-class score. I had to move everything 10yds closer to the target as no-one was going to interrupt their round to help me move the target back.

However after just 3 ends I was told to stop & pack up :(

(42 + 44 + 48. At that rate it would have been a 357 for a 611 total)

It had only just gone 8pm & conditions were about as good as it ever gets in Hexham.

I'd shot well, improving (again) at a satisfying rate, but I was stymied by 'the majority' having finished their Mickey Mouse round & wanting to GTFO.

I think it struck me on the drive home that I'll always be held back by the low numbers & short-range 'barebow attitude' at this club, plus the lack of available recurve coaching. The BIG problem is, the next-nearest clubs are more than double the distance away, and I've no idea what their 'situation' is in comparison. Seems I'll have some 'hard decisions' to make over the next year or so.

Time to start doing some research I guess.

chuffalump

I suppose it depends on what hours people are working and eating. When I'm on earlys I'm pretty much heading to bed at 8pm. Backshift I'm working and nightshift I'm mostly asleep. That's why I don't do many weekday evening sessions. Maybe the occasional Friday.

Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon are our times with most flexibility.

Corax67

That is so frustrating for you - we lurk around until everyone has finished shooting and it’s incredibly rare to have a single archer shooting on a target unless they specifically want to.

Single handling targets is a no-no under our club risk assessment too, everyone is expected to help one another unless there is a specific health reason precludes an individual. Same goes for arrow finding since we’ve all lost an arrow so the sooner it’s found the sooner shooting recommences.

Were it a club I was shooting at I’d be having a word with the chairman or committee to address the lack of support and coaching.

Tough decisions to be made indeed.

Karl

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The other order I haven't heard anything about since it was confirmed last Friday - it's from The Netherlands & consists of a 3XL chestguard, a bow square (at last!) & (prolly the thing causing the hold-up) a set of Core 'Hit' 70" 40lb limbs for my beginner bow, just gonna use 'em for SPT's to work up towards my next step-up in limbs - I have my eyes on a set of WNS Delta C3's, either 44 or 46 lbs, maybe for chrimbo if I'm a good boy ;)
Well that is a coincidence. I have been waiting for a month for a pair of limbs I purchased from the Netherlands. It is not the fault of the supplier - but what a joke the postal service is. It is PostNL - you know the same people that lost/delayed to postal application votes for ex-pats living on the continent - so they could not vote in the European Elections.

I would not hold your breath for your kit. I will post the full sorry saga in another post.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I've just discovered something that *increases* my frustration...

If I'd been given ANY indication that I wouldn't be given enough time to complete a Western (or Windsor) I could have switched after 2 dozen to a Warwick & had plenty of time to do another 2 dozen @ 50yds. That would have given me 137 + 178 (est) = 315.

The 3rd class level for a Warwick is 222, 2nd class is 297.

Grrrrrrrr!