From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Just an observation...

...from a mere 2 sessions of 'mixed SPTs'.

- And by mixed, what I mean is mixed between using my 40# naked training bow & my 36# fully-dressed club bow.

Whilst I feel pretty comfortable training with the 40# limbs now - to the degree where I'm starting to consider stepping up my club limbs to 42# (Akusta Tenbris, Merlin, ?170) in August/September - I'm actually finding the SPT program harder with the lighter-poundage but heavier bow!

- i.e. that the weight of the bow itself is more of a limiting factor (with the addition of the Fuse Blades, particularly) than the limb poundage right now.

I think this proves that I need to modify my training regime with the addition of exercises specifically targeted to improving the vertical weight-bearing capacity of the outstretched bow arm. Until I find something more 'scientific', a water-filled 4L milk carton & an old 'kite-killer' strap will suffice for now.

- The Lion is nothing if not inventive & resourceful ;)

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Do you just do SPTs with the training bow or do you incorporate other exercises into your training?
I might have some ideas to help or be teaching granny to suck eggs so I thought I?d ask first
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Do you just do SPTs with the training bow or do you incorporate other exercises into your training?
I might have some ideas to help or be teaching granny to suck eggs so I thought I’d ask first
Matt
Yes, only with A bow.

I'm a bit screwed for 'traditional' (gym-type) training due to my FMS & dodgy knees - I've looked at, and rejected, the other exercises listed at the Online Archery Academy.

- At 59, I do what I can - but I don't expect the results I used to get 30 years ago ;)

So yes, if you have any gems of wisdom to impart, my ears are open.

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Sorry excuse the ignorance but is FMS fibromyalgia? Not so much gems just an idea
As mentioned elsewhere I train Wing Chun and part of that is obviously conditioning, this is just my opinion but I think particular types of press up may be useful for archery too as they work the tricep lats and shoulders.
I have just had confirmation that I?ve torn the cartilage in my knee so I struggle to hold rigid in the traditional position but can manage by supporting on the knees and keeping the straight body line, of course this would depend on your own knee issues but maybe worth a look.
If you YT Sifu Nick Martin he has a webinar vid on press-ups that can explain much better than my rabid dribbling
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, it is.

I'll look up that dude you mentioned anyway, but my biggest issues with press-ups are my knees (I can't kneel anymore, at all :( ) and shoulders (12 years of gridiron & several dozen 'offs' from a motorbike have taken their toll) (Most of them on the track, I hasten to add!) I'm lucky that archery (with decent form) doesn't cause the nerve to get trapped in the left one - I get a cortisone injection every couple of years to stave off the worst.

Bad luck with that cartilage. I had a scrape-and-snip a couple of years ago on the left, can thoroughly recommend it. Was due for both to be replaced by now, but well, we all know how the NHS is suffering - I can't even get on the waiting list atm. I wear a McDavid brace on the right most of the time.

E2A - Is this the vid you meant?

[video=youtube_share;6S5ZMwgMn-4]https://youtu.be/6S5ZMwgMn-4[/video]

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Right so may not help at all, like I said just an idea. Fibro?s a sod have a couple of friends that suffer from it.
had the snip and scrape on the other one a couple of years ago hoping this one gets done before Xmas as I?m seeing this month out with Wing Chun then going to have to stop until it?s fixed just too painful even with copious amounts of painkillers and seriously messes with footwork.
I have a shock doctor brace that helps stop me face planting unexpectedly
Yep that?s the vid, and yes he?s disgustingly fit

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Average conditions (for Hexham) - cloudy, medium gusty breeze veering from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. A few brighter spells early on, but never enough to warrant shades, and conditions worsened as the afternoon progressed.

The rest of the club - coach & captain on #1, secretary & husband on #2 - shot a FITA combined 18/25. Plus one of the post-beginners, a lass of about 8 on a 10yd 122cm.

Me?

My first National round, in prep for the 'Griffin' shoot at Ryhope 3 weeks from today.

But first, a pic of my updated badge collection - with the addition of the 252/50 I won last Sunday - Hey if I don't blow the trumpet every now & then, no other bugger is gonna do it for me, innit?

(Updated)

So, the National - a score of 436 is needed for Archer 2nd Class. I shot 262 + 144 for a total of 406. Just 0.41 pts/arrow short. Not that it would have done any good if I had shot better - I was informed by el capitano (before shooting) that after a clarification chat with the senior DNAA coach, the club will conform more strictly to county guidelines on badges - 252s can be taken from longer rounds but there must be a 2nd scorer for classifications to be 'legal'. As no-one else was interested in long-range shooting today (Captain admitted he can't even shoot 60yds these days), nor are likely to be in the near future anyway, my progress is effectively stalled. Another factor pushing me towards finding a club with more recurvers for next year (i.e. October 1st).

I'd say the wind had a lot to do with dropped points but tbt more was due to simple inconsistency - like decent ends ruined by one or two looser shots. Plus one just ####-poor end at 50 which only managed a 28 :(
But I don't feel 'bad' - It's so nice to know that even a bad shot at 60yds will usually find the black! (including sighters, I only had 3 'greens' all day.) Dropping to 3-4-3 weighting on the Blades was deffo a good idea, I didn't feel any 'shoulder fatigue' this week.

I did break in the new Hailstorms, and I'm more than happy with both their performance & their aesthetics. Comparing them to coachs' ACCs they feel to be slightly lighter despite being considerably longer. But for sure they're the best-looking arrows in the club right now :D

Also making a range debut was a pair of purchases which I haven't mentioned before - both from fleabay. A cooler-rucksack & 6 ice blocks, total cost ?17. Kept my barley water icy cold & uber-refreshing all afternoon, even until I got home again. Will serve me very well for the upcoming compos I think :) My fave feature is it has a bottle-opener on the RH shoulder strap!

I now have the club fletching jig in my possession again, so converting the 9 Tyros to red/black/black 1 3/4" vanes is the 'Monday task'.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
The V-bar cost a whole ?31.68 & took 11 days from order to arrival (from Hong Kong). Quality is good, looks AMAZEBALLS with the Blades (Tyro in b/g, for comparison) -

The "C" shaped bits in the bag, they seem to be for changing the 'down angle' of the long rod to either 5* or 10* - useless to me ofc, but I guess c**p***ders might have some use for them.

The rest, the Milliput & the 'Head' grip-tape, were recommended by Ashe Morgan on OAA for modifying the hand-grip. As a larger-handed person who starts melting as soon as the temperature goes above 22* (Hey, I was born in the Lake District, that's almost volcanic by our standards!) I find standard grips both too skinny & too slippy, so time to play!

YES, I did notice when I updated the 'badges' pic that the order was jumbled, and yes, that has now been remedied! Not worthy of another update imo but just in case any of you have OCD about it, you can stop worrying now ;)

Had my first conversation with a GP about Therapeutic Use Exemptions 2 hours ago. For the opiates & some others that I hadn't even considered, hey, no problem, just drop off the form & we'll sign it. ?25 please. But for the sacred 'erb? Hooo Boy, that's gonna be a tough nut to crack :(

Not even prepared to consider giving me a referral to Dr Davies 'because it's out-of-area & our commissioning group would have to approve, and fund the transfer, & right now they won't even consider that'. Just another example of only the wealthy getting genuine patient care?

-

-

- and I still haven't started stripping the old vanes off yet!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
WEDNESDAY (Club Night)

7 shooters. I joined them in the latest installment of the 'Indoors, Outdoors' theme, with a FITA 18 followed by a Bray I.

I shot a 470 in the former & 179 in the later. Haven't a clue whether that's good or how I compare with the rest, nowt was said.

The new V-bar performed admirably, deffo gives me a bit more room to load up without wanging the short rod (Currently set to about 50* out, 10* down). Never even moved in 100 shots.

I did lose a vane at some stage though. Due to trying to not use too much glue, I reckon. Good job I forgot to return the jig, I suppose ;)

My biggest gripes?

Firstly, not only do my sights not have enough adjustment for 20yds with a tailwind, either in elevation or windage, as they're set in position to be able to shoot WA70s into a headwind, but I also 'lost' half-an-end due to having to rotate the aperture to bring the flo pin level, a go-to-the-car-and-get-some-tools job. At no stage could I do what I wanted, which was to shoot AT the centre of the gold. I had to settle for aiming at the edge of the blue at about 7:30 which kinda negates the whole purpose of having adjustable sights, innit?

Secondly, as we were shooting with the sun directly behind us, the flo pin didn't 'glow' at all as it was in my very considerable shadow. No issue for the barebowers ofc, but a total PIA for yours truly. Yes, next time I'll make a thing of it before the range gets set. I was 10 mins late tonight, mostly because the FB post saying that shooting was actually happening wasn't posted until 17:25 (for an 18:00 start) & by the time I got my stuff together & got my contacts in, I was already gonna be late - it's a 25-minute drive for me. The range was 3/4 ready when I arrived.

Thirdly, I'm not happy with the speed at which the plinkers fired off their arrows. I'm doing my best to take my time, to make full use of the 240 seconds/end I'll get in competition, to compose myself & ensure that every stage of my draw & release was as constant & smooth as I could make it, but I was always left with at least 2 & usually 3 left to shoot when everyone else was finished, putting 'accidental' pressure on me to shoot faster. Not really fair, is it?

- I don't even understand why they are all so keen to shoot indoor rounds in the middle of the outdoor season - especially as currently we don't even have a confirmed venue for the indoor season! Maybe 20 yds is the limit of their skill, strength & kit?

Sunday is my last chance to practice at range for the upcoming compos, but the forecast atm isn't exactly inspiring - cloudy, 70% chance of rain & 10mph x-wind. Nevertheless my intention is to try to shoot a WA70, both for the FB group competition which closes on 31st, and also so that when I drop to 60 yds for the Newburn Open, it'll seem short (& easy?) That's the theory, anyway!

- I'm going to pass on shooting next Wednesday, shooting silly short-range stuff will do nowt to prepare me for a Windsor in competition 4 days later.

It's useful that the 2 compos in early August are at 2 of the 4 clubs which - at least theoretically - could be alternatives, so you can bet I'll be asking lots of questions of the hosting clubs, officials & members, to help me decide whether to make a transfer come subs time.

I don't think it'll take much to convince me to move;)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You could enjoy 3 arrows while they blast off their 6,if you attend next Wed. That way you can establish your routine for your own benefit. Better than not shooting at all.!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
You could enjoy 3 arrows while they blast off their 6,if you attend next Wed. That way you can establish your routine for your own benefit. Better than not shooting at all.!
I don't actually enjoy shooting at short range - at least nowhere near as much as I enjoy 50yds+. Aesthetically there's something amazingly satisfying about having the time to watch your arrow swoop down onto the target after the follow-through, compared with the almost-instant twang-thud at 20yds.

Anyway, I'd rather have my sights set on Sunday for compo range & know they are ready for compo than to have to fiddle around to make them work @ 20yds on Wednesday then change them again for the Windsor with only one end to zero them again. Reduces the pressure hence is more likely to help me to shoot my best.

I don't believe that taking Wednesday off will have any negative impact on my competition performance.

chuffalump

Why do your sights have a windage problem with tail or headwinds? I could understand if you usually shoot in a sidewind and happen to get the opposite wind direction one day but head/tail winds should affect only the vertical movement. Or are the winds slightly off directly front or behind and you've compensated for one, thus making the other hard to shoot?

chuffalump

Ahh. Is this the parallax distortion due to the long sight pin?

Also, four minutes for six arrows? Reminds me of the first time we had a club fun shoot and I had just started compound. Lining up arrow number 4 and a voice says "It's like watching paint dry". I nearly snorted the arrow off the rest. 😆😆

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
On Sundays, I shoot in a WSW direction & the prevailing wind is from 10 to 2, usually 10ish, the sights are set to be roughly centered at 60yds so I can still adjust for changes in wind direction.

Last night we were shooting 180* to that, the wind was kinda over the left shoulder. I had the sights as high as they could physically go but the shots were still going high. Windage-wise, I usually have to go right as the range drops, usually 'hitting the stops' at 40yds. Partly that's a 'parallax' thing, with me being x-dom, the rest is possibly down to my 'club' arrows being a little stiff (500 spine).

- My new compo arrows are 600 spine and stay on-line better. I'll be using them (for the 2nd time) on Sunday for zeroing, then will make mechanical adjustments before the compo once I see what wind conditions are like on that field.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I can think of several things that are safer (& more FUN!) to snort than arrows ;)

Yes, 40 secs/shot is a l-o-n-g time, but that's wot da roolz say.

In practice I'm actually taking 25-30 which I feel is a nice compromise between club/domestic shooting & the Olympic mark of 20 secs/shot.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
So, caused by total frustration at the absolute CARP ;) on the teevee this evening, I took the plunge & started the modification of the grip on my main bow.

Here are some pix of the 'stage 2' placement of the Milliput, decided on after a couple of dry-runs with bluetack.

When it's hot & sticky & sweaty, I noticed that not only was my thumb-pad slipping clockwise around the grip but also that my index finger was slipping upwards towards the shelf, this 'design' should counter both of these.

I cleaned my hands & made a cuppa, rolled a fag, then took these pic. When I've posted them I'll do a bit of fine shaping & smoothing, then leave it to harden overnight. From these angles it should be obvious what I'm aiming for - but there will be plenty of Dremel action with a sanding drum before the jacket of Head non-slip tape gets its' final application.

Corax67

I really feel for you having to constantly shoot short distance, I’m not a fan but then again I predominantly shoot longbow.

Yesterday we dropped down to 60yds only because it was too hot to keep walking 100yds each end ;) and our juniors shot 30m/20m summer metrics as part of the Summer Postal league.

There is an innate satisfaction in watching an arrow curve away into the distance.

40 sec shot time ! Crikey I’ve done all 6 arrows in 40 seconds :)

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Often, longer distances go hand in hand with slower shooting plus longer time to collect arrows. I suggest that longer distances could be shot alongside shorter if longer distance archers shoot three arrows to the six shot at short distance. Perhaps longer archers collect every other end, in order to reduce delay times for the shorter distances. Could be better than not shooting longer distances or holding up short distances.
At some clubs, waiting for long range archers to shoot 6 can seem endless for short distance archers. Short range often goes with new archers and they often shoot quickly. They are new to the club and can feel reluctant to say anything.