From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

chuffalump

I'm puzzled as to why you don't buy your own jig? They're not expensive and you'd be able to do anywhen and anywhere.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Aslan, I have had a few email notifications, apparently from admin,like the ones we get showing messages posted by members on threads we have subscribed to. The ones showing posts apparently from you, only have a link to IMGUR or something like that. There is no text in the notification message, but when I look at your post on here there is lots of text. I am wondering if someone is sending suspicious links??

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
No there is no text in my recent posts Geoff, I write in a WP then take a screenie of the document and upload it to Imgur to post the image here. Intend to carry on doing that until the forum is fixed, as the & stuff drives me NUTZ!
I cannot comment on dodgy links, obviously I do not get notifications to my own posts, but there is nothing dodgy about Imgur. Take it up with David?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi, Thanks for that. I can see now why it shows a link to an image. The reason I thought it might be suspicious is that I sometimes get emails from people I know( apparently) and the email preview is just a link with no text. Some time ago I opened one of those emails and ended up having everything go pear shaped and needing professional help to get back to normal.
Thank goodness there is nothing wrong this time.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
You are very right to be suspicious of email links Geoff, I NEVER click email links even from people I know without checking where the link really goes to. Same goes for FB PMs with GIFs, videos etc. Computer security is something that too few take seriously enough - prolly coz it take a bit more knowledge and work.
Going back to something I asked earlier - no good answers on the web - it LOOKS like the collar should go on first, then the pin nock afterwards but not glueing it up until I know for sure - I've emailed Ollie at Merlin for a definitive answer but prolly won't get one til midweek.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have just seen pin nock collars for the first time!!! I must keep up!
Do the collars fit over the shaft in either orientation? Or do they have a lip round the inside of the back end to prevent them sliding further down the shaft? If there is a lip to prevent the collar going too far along the shaft, it would seem the collar would have to go on first.
I read on a website( Carbon Express )I think; an explanation that said the collar fits onto the back end of the shaft to prevent splitting and that it was held in place by the pin nock adapter. I think that means the ridge round the adapter would be too big for the collar to fit over if the pin was fitted first.
Not sure if that helps.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Pretty much the conclusion I came to too, just from looking at them dry-fitted both ways, side-by-side. Yes the collars have a lip. Too dull now for pix.
Seems like a good idea for indoor arrows which are more likely to be tail-ended in the boss. The collars only weight 4.5gr BTW.

Here's a weird thing though - My 2 strings are identical 20-strand Flex Supra, but one takes a small groove nock, the other a large. Glad I have a decent supply of both!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Sounds like the two strings have neen served with different tensions on the serving jig. Or different thickness of serving thread

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Not really worth it.
As long as there is a shot-in spare in my bag, it will be no worries. All I have to do in the unlikely case of a broken/frayed string is change the pin nocks on half a dozen arrows, I have a dozen of each.
To re-serve would be expensive as I have no string jig nor any intention to get one, having done the sums on string making. Cheaper and easier by miles to buy a matched pair next year, there are many fine string-makers around.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Re serving the centre doesn't require a string jig; it is done on the bow. Lots of useful strings are thrown away because the centre serving came loose or was damaged putting on a nocking point, long before the string itself had been used more than a few times.
Usually these things happen when you have least time to put them right. Changing a string is bad enough; having to change the nocks as well can be hurtful of the scores at a competition.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
<p>
Good to know I do not need a jig, but a spool of thread is still more than a string! I doubt there will be any more compo entries before next Easter so no wukkers mate ;)</p>

jonUK76

Yep the centre serving is easy to re-do, and I've had to re-do several factory strings to adjust nock fits. A serving tool is cheap (the Cartel/Avalon tools for example are perfectly usable for under a fiver). Spools of material can be expensive if you go for top end stuff (how they justify charging £30 for a spool of the stuff is beyond me really) but there are a few reasonably priced materials too. Flex Evo 15 for example is fine for "average" centre servings (0.019" diameter).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
30 for a spool of the stuff is beyond me really...................!!

I suppose it is all relative? Relative to just about everything we buy for archery??I guess some of us are lucky we can make things for ourselves; but that seems to be getting less and less common.I think there is also a feeling that anything home made could not possibly be good enough for the job. How could home made foot markers be as accurate as a one bought from an archery outlet?
The answer to that is simple...................... charge far too much for them.

chuffalump

I still haven't finished my first reel of diamondback serving. After over four years. Economically speaking and ignoring the cost of a jig, making your own strings is far cheeper than buying new. It's that jig cost that makes the difference. Unless you make a home made one from free stuff.

And, of course, you have to stick with archery long enough to use the reels up without changing to a bow style that suits a different type. 😅😅