Future dinosaurs?

Raphe

Talking TFCs in another thread got me thinking...

What recurve archery kit currently in use do you think is likely to fall out of fashion and be forgotten (and why?)

(I'm taking TFCs to be an example of something once considered de rigeur and now almost abandoned)

buzz lite beer

Hard to say:melodrama , stabilization could possibly be reborn yet again, the TEC bridge concept from Hoyt may be superseded, adjustable limb pockets may go with improvements in quality control and machining capabilities, perhaps there will be a realisation that torsional resistance in bow limbs isn't as desirable as initially thought, like the rigid bows such as the Radian riser's that have been replaced with bow flex technology. Circles I see circles!!

english_archer

Ironman
Anchor tabs trust me we will all have soma saker tabs by the end of the year (I really belive this I think mines THAT good !)

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Anchor tabs trust me we will all have soma saker tabs by the end of the year (I really belive this I think mines THAT good !)
Can't agree with that one, just to be different, lol. Just couldn't get on with them at all.

I don't think that now technology has become so good that we will see things being superseeded, but going in and out of fashion more.

At the moment TEC bars are all the rage, but perhaps they won't be in two years?

Kae.

MINIMike

You really are a Gadget Freak aren't you Mike?:cheerful:
And your point is? :cheerful:

The problem with archery is that there really aren't enough gadgets to keep me fully occupied. Guess I may just have to concentrate on shooting rather than buying or fondling cool kit. What a drag! ;)

english_archer

Ironman
Hey Kae if we were all the same there would be no fun and sakers do seem to be a bit like marmite (love it or loath it ) I had to fidle about with mine to get it to work for me but well worth the effort

jerryRTD

Just got my crystal ball out, and it says that the days of the international limb fittings are numbered. It won't be long before recurve limb pockets and limbs are designed the same way compound limbs and pockets are now. With good size pivots in them and strong enough to allow the adjustment of tiller and weight with the bow strung. A half round section on the limb, fitting onto machined half round recess in the riser will ensure accurate location of the limb and a strong weight adjustment bolt at the other end of a longer limb pocket will do the rest.

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
Just got my crystal ball out, and it says that the days of the international limb fittings are numbered. It won't be long before recurve limb pockets and limbs are designed the same way compound limbs and pockets are now. With good size pivots in them and strong enough to allow the adjustment of tiller and weight with the bow strung. A half round section on the limb, fitting onto machined half round recess in the riser will ensure accurate location of the limb and a strong weight adjustment bolt at the other end of a longer limb pocket will do the rest.
I just hope that these new limb fittings are more 'universal' than the current (supposedly) universal international limb fittings. If they were to be, it would mean that bow and limb manufacturers would have to stop trying to carve out their own little niche of a (relatively) small global market, and co-operate over specifications for a bit. Personally, I think it'll be a long time coming...:cheerful:

Quadratus

I predict a radical change in limb geometry. Maybe stiff 'ears' like Mongolian bows, or loss of the recurved shape entirely, or maybe something no one's ever thought of so far.

Since 1970-something just about every recurve limb has been heavily based on Earl Hoyt's TD1/TD2 limb, with the only notable exceptions I know of being Nishizawa and Perris. Materials have changed, but the basic form, proportions and geometry have remained virtually constant. So much so that we tend to think that this is, with its minor variations, the best possible, or even only possible shape - I bet it isn't!

dino1300

the only notable exceptions I know of being Nishizawa and Perris. Materials have changed, but the basic form, proportions and geometry have remained virtually constant. So much so that we tend to think that this is, with its minor variations, the best possible, or even only possible shape - I bet it isn't!

A friend of mine has modified his old Nishi limbs to fit a stylist (old 23" ) handle.

Shoots a dream. Nishi probably made the best limbs ever.

Quadratus

Shoots a dream. Nishi probably made the best limbs ever.
I could never afford a Nishi - they were ?900+ in 1988, when the top line Hoyt's and Yamaha's were around ?300, but a lot of my Swedish friends swore by them and regarded them as the only bow worth bothering with. They were certainly the most precisely engineered, beautifully finished bows I've ever seen, and still are.

Raphe

I find myself hoping that the kit (and the sport!) will (a) go fully metric, and (b) really standardise on threads, pockets, dimensions etc.

It needs an alliance of manufacturers to commit to "interoperability" and register product marks to brand products guaranteed to work together (in much the way that the industry turned IEEE802.11 networking into "Wi-Fi")

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
search on here

there was a thread about them a while back i think.
Ta Al. Interesting reading.

Was it just the double recurve-ish profile that gave the let off effect on the nishi, or did the limbs have stiffer tips too, like a turkish bow? :beady: Surely the latter kind of limb design is worth investigating, presuming it is legal for recurves...