G nocks, sort of..... what do I need?

Sleepy82

My bow (compound) is set up to use easton g nocks with the small groove, I've tied nocking points either side that seem to be just right so I don't really want to change them

I recently bought some easton powerflight shafts (along with fletchings and points) to make some cheaper arrows to use for 3d

BUT, the shafts came with super nocks which are too fat for my nocking points. It looks like the way forward would be to buy "CB uni bushings" and some g nocks and that would put everything straight but its starting to make these cheap arrows a bit on the pricey side; 4.99 for the shaft, plus blazer vanes (can't remember price) and a fiver for 12 points and now a further £20 ish to get the nocks right

Is there a cheaper way? Iirc, the shaft i.d is 6.5mm, what I'd need is a nock that fits that but is the same size as the g nock on the business end, any suggestions?

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
The Beiters are ok in the super bushing, though I've sometimes needed to resort to a layer of PTFE tape, but they seem to be a little deeper top to bottom than g nocks. The 19/1 that I have here measure approx 4.36mm, whereas small groove g nocks seem to be about 4.0mm.
Also the groove on small groove Beiters (nockbed 1) is slightly larger than the groove in small-groove g nocks, so if you have a good nock fit with the g-nocks, then the Beiters would be a little loose (in my opinion).
I believe that the 19/1 & 19/2 are asymmetrical because they are intended for recurve - I've no idea if they work well with compound, where I think the 19/2H would be more usual because the "hunter" nock is symmetrical, but these only come in large groove (nockbed 2) and I've no idea how deep they are top to bottom.
I'm afraid all I've used are Beiters and g-nocks so I've no alternatives to suggest

Sleepy82

Thankyou for trying Andy, I'm afraid its mostly gone straight over my head though!

The bow was second hand and came with aac arrows with g nocks. I've since fitted new string and cables but matched everything to what I already had...

I've recently put together some new aac arrows with g nocks (after finding the original arrows were bent) and bought cheaper shafts for 3d. Today though, I ordered the cb uni bushes and g nocks for roughly £15 which still makes the arrows a bit more expensive than planned but solves the problem (to a degree)

Are g nocks not intended for compound bows then?

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
The Uni bushes and g-nocks should work fine, I've not heard of any issues with g-nocks for compounds, but then again I don't shoot compound either.

The question about suitability for compound was about the Beiter Nock, as suggested by KidCurry.

If you're interested, this is why......

Beiter make nocks with 2 different styles of string attachment, the "Beiter Nock" and the "Beiter Hunter Nock".
  • The Beiter Nock has a nock bed that is partly straight and partly angled because of the string angle at the nock for finger release archers. These nocks need to be used the right way up.
  • The Beiter Hunter Nock is a symmetrical design, and according to their data sheet " was designed for Compound Archers with D-Loop " -but this style is only available in large groove.
I was assuming a d-loop / release-aid with a compound, but if you use a finger release then the Beiter Nock would be fine anyway (if it fits)

Beiter should explain it better in their own words here: Beiter Nock Data Sheet .

On the first couple of diagrams, the top-to bottom dimension that I was referring to is dimension "A" (so 4.4mm rather than the 4.36 I measured) and the groove size for their small groove nock (#1) relates to dimension "B" along with the diameter of the string/nock point which is also shown.

I don't know what the official dimensions are for g-nocks, but I do know that on a string where a small groove Beiter Nock fits well, i.e. is just free to rotate around the string with no real free-play, then a small groove g nock is a tighter fit and actually grips the string slightly. So if you are set up for small groove g-nocks, then the small groove Beiter Nock would have more free play on the string, if it managed to wedge between nocking points that are set for a g-nock.

Thorvald

G-Nocks is fine for compound. Just normally not the small groove (I think). But I understand your issue, that it can be difficult to fit difficult nocks to a certain string / nock setup, especially if it is based on small groove. If it was based on g-nocks large, I think it would match most other nocks.