Gillo G2K suitable for Olympic set up?

LittleSkink

Need to get my first Olympic / target set up and liking the look of the G2K, its not easy to find but I am more concerned it will do a decent job. One worry is some Gillo don't seem to take sights, which is obviously a bit of an issue in a target bow. Love the look of Spigarelli Revolution, but hearing mixed views on that. Or should I just play safe and get WNS Motive or similar?

Welcome folks views

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I have not shot the WNS Motive but they have a good pedigree, is quite light at 1120g and, of course, it's shiny. The Spig has been around for some years but has varying reviews as you say, and not one I would probably recommend as a first full-up bow.
I have shot the G2K and, although principally shot in its barebow guise, it is a good recurve riser and will take a sight. I found it an excellent riser for the money, slightly heavier than the Motive, if you like the matt finish. Watch the price. I've seen it from £240 -£295.
There are lots of Chinese bows coming on the market at these prices but both the Motive and Gillo have a good history of good bow manufacture.

Ian

AIUK Saviour
I have been shooting a G2 as a barebow for a while and have only just sold it on.
The only bad point that I found was that the finish was a little fragile and not up to the same standard as my Spigarelli BB.
Apart from that it is an excellent riser.

LittleSkink

thanks folks, I am picking this over Motive et al for its adaptability (eg adding weights, changing grip, Olympic or barebow). And the handsome looks

As ever, the hardest question - what colour looks best? I tend to prefer satin over gloss and black risers over colour but the Gillo's look nice in grey

Any one colour more robust than others?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I drew this smiley face on the side of my Matt green Gillo Ghost with my fingernail.

The Matt finish marks really easily.

It will clean off ok but if you're OCD about your kit then it may bother you.
IMG_19052021_154614_(1080_x_1920_pixel).jpg

Steve1968

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I am currently shooting a WNS Motive FX riser with WNS Motive F5 limbs. I highly recommend this bow, it shoots well and feels good in the hand, the grips can be changed, weight and tiller are easily adjusted, nothing so far has worked loose. I also use the WNS SPS100 Carbon sight and again nothing has worked loose.

beleg2

I love my G2 but for Olympic/target shooting you must remember that this riser has a max drawing of 40# OTF.
JMHO
Martin

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I love my G2 but for Olympic/target shooting you must remember that this riser has a max drawing of 40# OTF.
JMHO
Martin
Do you have a reference for this? I heard it somewhere before but even Gillo don't state it in their bow's PDF docs. Certainly archery shops don't advertise it, it seems :)

LittleSkink

40lb is plenty for me for now - but yes its interesting / frustrating that stuff like this isn't always documented

I only found out recently that my ILF Field riser doesn't allow for adjustment of the limb bolts to tweak draw weight. I was also advised that many Chinese risers arent okay above 40lb because the limb pockets can distort, could be bad grapes though - helped me justify a getting a Gillo though :)

beleg2

Do you have a reference for this? I heard it somewhere before but even Gillo doesn't state it in their bow's PDF docs. Certainly, archery shops don't advertise it, it seems :)
Vittorio Frangilli on ArcheryTalk some time ago. A correction 42#otf.
This is the thread:

I love the G2 and prefer it over the G1, just feels better for me.
Martin

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Vittorio Frangilli on ArcheryTalk some time ago. A correction 42#otf.
Thanks for the link. That's really odd, to put a limitation in a forum thread but not in the spec. Can't be a guarantee issue so it might be a performance issue.

Ian

AIUK Saviour
Gillo can be a little odd.I asked them to explain to me how to tell the difference between the G2 and G2K risers as they have different manufacturing techniques.
I was told that the only difference is that the G2 came with a yellow plastic grip and yellow discs and the G2K comes with a black plastic grip and no discs.
Once the plastic bits are removed or changed you cannot tell which is which.

beleg2

You can see the difference between G2 and G2K risers when having them side to side.
G2 is a forged riser
G2k is a machined riser.

Martin

Ian

AIUK Saviour
What are those differences that you can see?
Gillo told me that they are identical.

LittleSkink

thanks for the comment s folks, I have a black G2K on order. Planning to pair it with some KG wooden limbs for a stealthy look

One reason for choosing Gillo was the interchangeable grip so I can adjust the feel of the bow - as a relative novice, adaptability was part of me decision making. Wonder how different the different grips are

- anyone point me at a UK supplier of custom wooden grips?

Assume all Gillo grips fit all risers?

Last edited:

Ian

AIUK Saviour
I bought a wooden grip made by Gillo for my Gillo Ghost and it`s really comfortable,cost £36.45 inc postage.

LittleSkink

My Gillo riser has arrived, now I need some accessories - welcome views, the plan is to shoot target to improve my consistency / form, I am not chasing scores just want to improve technique enough to enjoy field (with this bow striped down or my wooden field bow)

Got a Cartel Focus sight which should be okay, for arrow rest was just going with a cheap stick on wire one. Accessories done

for plunger was going to pass, for clicker was going to pass, rods and stuff definitely pass - does that seem sensible?