[Horsebow] Glass vs laminate

Secutor74

Hi all, I am looking into getting a Hun type bow for all weather practice.

what are the pros and cons of fibreglass and laminate? I have seen a couple of interesting bows at decent prices such as the well known Grozer old Scythian and the Arcus Scythian XL, I draw jus around 29 so either of these would do. If I double the investment I can get a laminate bow...worth the additional outlay?

i wonder if any of you have shot Arcus/Atilla, they seem well made but pretty scarce.

Secutor74

Well I took the plunge and picked up an Arcus Scythian XL from Merlin.

It is a touch smaller than a traditional Hun bow but bigger than the Scythian and beautifully finished with black leather and a horn plate.

Awesome bow for just north of ?120 and most recommended, you can draw it up to 32 unlike the regular Scythian. Dead accurate, the arrow flies where you point...40lbs feel just right for it with just the right power and very little hand shock.

I believe XL is not the correct name for it and it is know as the Scythian Bear Hunter on Atilla's website. I will alternate it with the Osprey but for a cheap all weather bow it ticks all the boxes. I would lover to get my hands on the Grozer Old Scythian though.

Hudzi93

Is that the KG osprey you mentioned there? I've recently bought one and I'd like to know about people's experiences with using a fastflight string on it..

Secutor74

Yes I is the KG Osprey.

I love that bow, it is one that requires a steady hand as it is so light. The fastflite string is the one that comes with the bow I believe? If so I find it stiffer than the Dacron on the Arcus, it suits me well a my Osprey is pretty low poundage comported to the Scythian.

Hudzi93

I don't have much experience with Dacron strings but the string on the osprey definitely does seem tougher and less stretchy with Dacron, although I have confirmed that it is Dacron. On KG's website it says the bow comes with a Dacron string, and on emailing KG, the said that although people do use fastflight with the osprey, they only recommend Dacron on wooden bows.

I'm looking to get a new string anyway as I want something a little thinner so it can fit the standard large groove nocks. I'd like to try out fastflight on it but I don't want to risk damaging it.

I have a 42# Osprey, but it's not as fast/powerful as I thought it would be.

Secutor74

Mine is lighter tan yours but drawing at 29 it feels pretty smooth yet potent and compares well with my 40lbs Scythian.

I also tried an excellent 38lbs Ranger deluxe while at KG (very nice flat bow and well priced!) but preferred the smoothness of the Osprey.

Hudzi93

I draw about 29.5". What weight is you osprey? It feels a little heavier to draw than I expected, after reading that it felt very smooth and lighter than it actually is. It's still a very nice bow though.

One of my friends has a 45# samick skb, but I simply cannot understand why it feels like its around 35#. It does seem to launch arrows a touch faster than my osprey (he tried his arrows on my bow). Although his bow does have a fair bit of hand shock and with the osprey you don't feel a thing. Do you have string silencers on yours?

Secutor74

It may be that the Samick is broken in and the design will make it feel lighter like the Scythian.

My Osprey is 32# and with silencers.

Hudzi93

I bought the bow second hand (like new) on ebay at a pretty good price. It already had string silencers on it and I made the mistake of taking them off. The bow now makes a 'sproing' noise when shot and has some hand shock. It's amazing how much difference the silencers make! I might put some fur silencers on once I've bought a new string. I'm taking the risk and going with a fastflight (8125g) string rather than Dacron. I reckon it should be fine.

Sorry to have taken this thread off topic. I know you've went and bought a bow now, but I think wooden laminated bows should be smoother to draw and a little more powerful than a solid fiberglass bow.