Gluing feathers on wood with Loctite?

Tim_Archer

Hi all. Has anyone used Loctite to glue feathers onto wooden shafts? Is there anything I need to keep in mind if I do? I have Loctite 401 left over from when I made my carbon arrows with plastic vanes and I'd prefer to use that than buy something else :)

Thanks,
Tim

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I've always used double-sided tape. How would you replace damaged feathers without ruining the shaft?

D

Deleted member 7654

UHU glue from Poundland, won't break the bank and has a little give. OK it's not quick, but I've used it for years.
Also handy for leather, craft work etc and only a quid for a big fat tube.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

UHU glue from Poundland, won't break the bank and has a little give. OK it's not quick, but I've used it for years.
Also handy for leather, craft work etc and only a quid for a big fat tube.
Del

Stevec1960

Double sided craft tape - About ?1.50 a roll from The Range - never had a problem since I've been using it and easy to remove when you need to refletch.

Geophys

I've read mixed opinions on using tape in that feathers don't stay on as well as glue:(
I'm the arrow maker for my club and have made dozens of sets of arrows and always use tape, there has not been a single case of a feather coming off even when its gone ploughing, tape the front down and they'll stay put, but when it comes to replacing a damaged feather, its a doddle.

Stevec1960

I've read mixed opinions on using tape in that feathers don't stay on as well as glue:(
I've never had one come off though I usually whip or tape the front 1cm. Just make sure you use the extra strong tape - usually red - that's the backing not the actual glue. You can get it in 4mm which is just about right for fletching.
I

AndyW

I've never even considered tape but would that carry through onto vanes on carbons do you think? I know it's used on spinnies &c.for target but has anyone any experience of vanes held with tape for field?
Would it stand up to a pass through or a brush / clatter through the foliage?

Tim_Archer

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just read that fletching tape loses a lot of its adhesiveness in warm weather. Given I live in Australia, that may be a slight problem. Looks like it'll have to be glue for me :)

-Tim

Mrfixit

I always use superglue to stick fletches on my wood shafts. And if you don't want to wait then an accelerator will speed that up to instant fix. I use an accelerator pen type- a bit like a big marker pen with the thicker style glue, also helps set the blob of glue at the front of the fletch to help prevent removal in the ground :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

AndyW

I always use superglue to stick fletches on my wood shafts. And if you don't want to wait then an accelerator will speed that up to instant fix. I use an accelerator pen type- a bit like a big marker pen with the thicker style glue, also helps set the blob of glue at the front of the fletch to help prevent removal in the ground :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
For info. if you don't want to use / buy an accelerator pen just use tapwater/spit. The ingredient list on the accelerator looks fancy to justify ?**** / Tonne the main active ingredient is water. Just moisten the shaft where the fletching is going ( a bit of water on your finger ) pop it on and 10s later done.