[Horsebow] GNAS field tradional class - korean bows

Si2

Would a Korean style bow be legal under GNAS traditional recurve rules??
The rules mention having a fixed arrow rest:

Arrowrest. The arrowrest must not be adjustable.

Shooting off the hand is infinitely adjustable, so breaks this rule.
Or does shooting from the hand mean that there is no arrowrest, so this rule is treated as N/A?

regards
Simon

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
Would a Korean style bow be legal under GNAS traditional recurve rules??
The rules mention having a fixed arrow rest:

Arrowrest. The arrowrest must not be adjustable.

Shooting off the hand is infinitely adjustable, so breaks this rule.
Or does shooting from the hand mean that there is no arrowrest, so this rule is treated as N/A?

regards
Simon
Simon ..... gnas is simply not interested in horsebows and the like - we're not (english) tradtional enough . We get lumped in with normal barebows where we are at a mah-hoooossive disadvantage since we obviously dont have a stable rest.

English Bowman

Simon ..... gnas is simply not interested in horsebows and the like - we're not (english) tradtional enough . We get lumped in with normal barebows where we are at a mah-hoooossive disadvantage since we obviously dont have a stable rest.
Not quite true, in GNAS Field the bow would I believe be classed as Traditional. Now this class is field only, and does include modern recurves, so you're still at a disadvantage, but in trad you have to use wooden arrows, and one anchor point, and one finger position on the string. (No string or face walking)

And to answer the original question, I think that a Korean traditional style bow would be classed as Trad in GNAS field as it doesn't have an adjustable arrow rest.

Dorset Lass

Ironman
Not quite true, in GNAS Field the bow would I believe be classed as Traditional. Now this class is field only, and does include modern recurves, so you're still at a disadvantage, but in trad you have to use wooden arrows, and one anchor point, and one finger position on the string. (No string or face walking)

And to answer the original question, I think that a Korean traditional style bow would be classed as Trad in GNAS field as it doesn't have an adjustable arrow rest.
I have recently purchased a traditional style Korean composite bow and have been trying to work out which class I would be able to use it in. I know that 'Primitive' is the only class where the use of a thumb ring is permitted and this class is restricted to bows made of natural materials - so wood or horn and sinew, and the modern hybrid composites would presumably be disallowed. From my limited knowledge, fully horn and sinew bows are not only much more expensive but also have to be kept in a temperature controlled cabinet to prevent degeneration.

If you are not using a thumb ring then 'traditional' may be the right class but I wonder whether modern composite bows are acceptable?

Last edited:

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
Just a nod from me, i have no idea about the answer to your question, but fully sympathise.
As a target archer using a Samick Korean, i struggle to reach third class scores as i'm lumped in with the recurveers. Funnily enough, if you put my scores in as longbow scores, i'm well up in 2nd class.
sob sob sob
lol

Si2

Many thanks for the answer, I thought that would be the case. The traditional category seems to be the place for the 'horsebow' styles.
As for the disadvantage; I'm not particularly interested in gaining trophies, I just want to make sure I CAN shoot when I eventually feel I'm up to taking part in a field shoot.

Regards

Last edited: