Going to try spinny type vanes

Paul D Wilson

I am a recurve archer.
I have been using AAE plastic vanes 60mm length on my arrows since day one.
Currently using ACCs and want to give the spinny type ones a try just to see whether they make any difference to my groups at all. If they don't then no harm done.
My otf at the moment is a shade over 48lbs
When trying spinny ones am I better to look for some that are shorter than the plastics? I ask because I notice that spinny ones seem quite fragile and a shorter vane is less vane to catch on anything and tear itself.
Thank you.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
it depends, some (such as XS Wings) come in different sizes and give recommendations on which size to use depending on what you shoot, whereas other (like the original Spin Wings) come in one size...

Which might be best for you is ultimately a case of trial and error... or, which colour you like best!

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I've been trying the spin wing style of vanes for a while now after taking up barebow from compound. They all, or the ones I've tried, are more fragile than the Bohning vanes I used to use which would last a year. My first vanes were XS but they were quite short with little vane at the front to hold down with tape but fairly tough.
Next were GasPros. These were great, lots of vane to tape down especially at the front. I found they did have a tendency to cut each other up if groups were consistently tight.
I'm now trying the original spin wing. 1 3/4" on ACEs and 2" on ACCS. I like them a lot. As I string walk I can get clearance issues at one end or the other if I've not got my setup spot on, but generally they are fine. They don't cut each other like the GasPros unless they hit the nock. They do damage easier, especially on a pass through, but they are quite a bit cheaper and very easy to fit.
As far as grouping goes there is nothing between them.

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I like Gaspros. If you look at their website they have guidelines as to which vanes are suited to specific types of archery (target, field etc) as well as poundage. I’ve used them for the last 7 years and while Kidcurry’s right that they occasionally tear it’s not common and it’s a doddle to change one in a few minutes, especially if you use wraps. I’ve recently tried XS Wings. They’re a bit stiffer than Gaspros and don’t have a long enough “tail” for anchor tape so they can lift off the shaft.

Stretch

Just to be clear original Spin Wings come in many sizes. 1 3/4” is what most people use. 1 9/16” most people find too small. 2” are a relative new size but also seem good. 2 3/16” have been around a very long time and are very good.

If you are looking to try a Spin Wing type vane then I’d go for the 1.75” or 2” Spin Wing. They are cheap(ish) and are unquestionably a top performing vane. Then… if you like the type of vane but find Spin Wings a bit fragile then you try some of the other options.

People have found success with most of the vanes available including SW, GasPro, XS, Eli and KSL Jet 6 (etc…)

Stretch

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
I've been through most of the different spin wing types, starting with the original Spin Wings, then I switched to GasPro, which I liked, then on to Eli Vanes, again which I liked, eventually tried KSL, which I didn't like, my groups just opened up. I did however always end up going with the original Spin Wings.

Stretch

I’m actually shooting KSL Jet6 SV and I like them (found the original fine too) but they really aren’t worth the money and are no better than anything else. I like how they look. I like the shaped foot. They appear to shoot well too :p

I found ELI very robust but unpredictable at 70m. I think they are too low profile for my 32” sticks.

I found XS very good if big enough but very fragile when the outdoor temps are below 5 degrees.

When I run out of KSL, assuming the 2.5” SV still aren’t available in the UK - I’d like to try them - I’ll probably switch back to 2” or 2 3/16” Spin Wings.

I'm not 100% sure but as a first adventure into Spin Wings avoid the Elite and Low Drag variants.

Stretch

Whitehart

Over the past 3 years KSL 1.75 Spin Vanes are the only spin vanes that have lasted on my arrows and increased all my PB's, the other offerings have been stripped off after a few weeks of testing. The KSL vanes appear to be tough and I have not had to mend arrows after a competition like with all the others one even survived a pass through, even small nicks and the odd small crease do not seem to affect the flight maybe I have been lucky but the bonus is they are a doddle to fit accurately. Although I tried the 2.5SV for 70m as everyone was raving about them for this distance my groups opened up and my X10's seemed to drift more in the wind - although not a surprise. IMO the less people that use these vanes in competition the better :)