Goldseeker VTD-2. Any knowledge out there?

PLEASE HELP TO FUND ARCHERY INTERCHANGE

kendavies61

I have just returned to archery thanks to my children wanting to take it up (or did I persuade them to give myself the reason?) and dusted off my old equipment. In the box is my Goldseeker VTD-2 from around 1980 and though I think I can remember the important figures I would be reassured if anyone could confirm them. The 'VTD' stands for 'Variable Take Down' and the variability is given by having a fulcrum between the ends of the riser and the limb fixing. The fixing is a simple allen bolt and releasing it drops the draw weight.

It's a 68" bow rated at 44lb max, Does anyone have any details of the bow and can you confirm the weight adjustment per turn and the maximum adjustment at all? I'm still using the original 62.5" string so I'm pretty sure the bracing height's OK but again, any confirmation is welcome.

It's a nice bit of timber, marked 'made in England' and came from Quicks originally. Both limbs are marked 33/73 and I haven't a clue what that refers too!

Anyway, it still works and I'm enjoying shooting it again but help with the key bits of information would be welcome. And I'm looking forward to those crisp, winter sunday mornings :poulies:

Ken

Old Bloke

The Goldseeker bows were marketed by Severn products of Worcester. They had a range of bows from one piece wooden to the metal risers. The variable take down was one of the first weight adjustable/tiller adjustable bows in the U.K. As I remember, the weight was adjusted by simply screwing in or out the limb bolt, thus pivoting the limb. I'm not sure but I think K.G. now use the old Severn limb formers when Severn products closed. The bow dates back into the mid seventies. The bow took a Dacron string of which the length was an AMO 3.5" shorter than the stated limb length. However, as the limb angle could be changed because of the tiller/weight adjustment, a shorter string would be required than that of the 3.5" standard. The bow did have a few problems, when the screw thread bushing in the wooden handle section popped out with the higher bow weights. If it was the top limb coming out it gave a few archers a crack on the head...if it was the bottom limb then there are a few men out there who can't father children.
All in all, a very nice bow..and the thumb rest was awesome.

kendavies61

Thanks Old Bloke, I have to agree that the carving of the grip is very comfortable. Your comment regarding the limb bushings is interesting as when I checked it over before using it again I noticed the top bush was working it's way out and had to reseat it! The groove routed for the top limb pivot isn't quite correct either and the limb is not aligned properly so this is something I'm going to have to sort out soon. The information on the string length will be very useful as I hope to eventually be drawing it at full weight in which case I will need a longer string. My recollection is that one full turn of the limb bolt reduces the drawweight by 1lb and the maximum reduction is 4lb, can you confirm that at all?
Thanks again, you have added to my knowledge there.
Ken