Hand held Monocular X Power

wingate_52

What is considered the best mag for a hand held monocular. Alternative list 2 attractive monoculars.
Archery Shop & Archery Products from Alternative Sporting Services
Are 15 and 20 X magnification too much to be held in one hand?
Anyone any experience with this brand?
I use a pair of 12 x 50 bins indoors, but find them bulky. I use a 20-60 x 60 tripod mounted scope outdoors, but would be tempted to use a monocular at short distances.

Whitehart

IMO light gathering and brightness are more important than a higher magnification.
Most monoculras have a small diameter lens and I find the image quite dark.
Anything over x10 poss x 12 for me is too difficult to keep still unless I rest them on the tip of the top limb.
I have a pair of cheap 10x50 Bins (made in Germany (Bresser) ?9.99 from lidl) which somehow do what they say on the box and let a lot of light in and I can see my arrows and fletching/nock colours at 100 yards, with my scope and a higher magnification the image is darker and harder to see. I now take these on the line as they are much easier than my scope.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Wingate, your link doesn't go directly to the item. Can you be more specific on which monocular you're looking at please?

wingate_52

Alternative Sporting Services Archery Shop website. Binocular section. Monocular selection.Scroll down to Visionary M-12 12x50 WP Monocular.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
it actually has a screw insert to be put on a tripod. i ordered on thinking it was a true monocular. it's not. it's a small scope and needs a tripod. i sent it back. it's bigger than you think it will be.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
i found it clumsy and heavy to use just holding it. the quality is excellent, though.

to me, a true monocular is more like this:

wingate_52

Yes, got one, but not enough mag for me, and a bit dark inside. There has to be a compromise with these things. A big bit of glass for brightness equates to a heavy object in the hand. I will stick with the bins and the scope....for now. Thanks.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have a Tasco 16x40 monocular and it's brilliant. Not waterproof, but it's bright and I can identify arrows @ 80 yards. I got mine on ebay.

M

Moose

I have a russian one from e-bay

I have a russian monocular bought off e-bay excellent optics and a large objective lens looks like half a binocular but works great especially indoor when the light is not bad

N.Vodden

Ironman
I have a Tasco 16x40 monocular and it's brilliant. Not waterproof, but it's bright and I can identify arrows @ 80 yards. I got mine on ebay.

i'm using much the same, Tasco 16x50 off ebay. Rubberised body with grip lines in it.

Really nice piece of kit, cost me about ?12 from an ebay shop called Cool Ape Hunting.

Sharp picture, clear and nice and bright.

wingate_52

Went to Stockport on saturday to the Telescope centre and tried out a range of monocs. Decided on a waterproof Visionary 15 x 50, nice and bright, a small handful, 20 x mag did not give such a stable hand held image, the 15 x was fine. Cost ?60. So bought it on ebay for ?40. Will have to make a 1/4" Whitworth lanyard to hang from quiver, there is a tripod mount. I would have bought it in the shop had I not seen one on ebay. It was an introductory offer.