Hand warmers

In my effort to keep shooting outdoors for as long as possible, :cold: I thought I'd get some hand warmers.
I was surprised to see that there are a lot of different types to choose from.
Any recommendations?
Cheers!

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
from a purely practical point of view, I'd opt for the type that are made of wool or perhaps a thermally protective material and slip over your hands.

That way there's

no forgetting your lighter to get the charcoal burning/smouldering
no forgetting to microwave it and ensuring it's ready for the next time

no problem with using them another time

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I use the gel ones that you can use again the most.
I also have a lighter fuel ones that is great once I get the darn thing started.
Forget the disposal ones..... waste of money.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
i have a charcoal one that never lights

so i use the gel ones you boil and use again

and a pair of silk base layer gloves

slainte :boggled: rob

Alexam

Hand Warmers

In my effort to keep shooting outdoors for as long as possible, :cold: I thought I'd get some hand warmers.
Any recommendations?
Cheers!
I have tried the disposal type, which are not bad for a round of golf, but by far the best, the Peacock lighter fuel ones are best. They have several sizes, but the larger ones last for up to 16 hours, so by filling a little less you can be more economical if you wish.

They come in a velvet type bag, are not difficult to light if done as instructed and will keep you warm as toast in your pocket or hung around your neck and insude your outer layer. Try and you will see!

Get them from G.K.Trading Bedfordshire - look on the web site of just put in Peacock Hand Warmers.

Good shooting .......... nice and cosey!!

Malcolm

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I've tried everything. By far the best for me was the active charcoal disposable ones (take them out of the bag, give them a shake and they'll be warm until bedtime - and sometimes still a little warm next morning!!).

The boil-in-the-bag onese I had lasted 40 minutes and were a real faff to reset.

The charcoal burner ones I had were unreliable - sometimes stayed lit, sometimes not.

wingate_52

I used a pair of reusable gel ones for 2 years, but the heat given off stared to reduce.I now use a charcoal one that works well. I have a turbo lighter that i use in the field to repair nocks(beiter screw tool) and points (hot melt) to light the charcoal. Plus a pair of gloves.

Snap

I use the charcol ones as I find that they stay warmer for longer and I also find it easier to light the charcol with a turbo flame lighter.

Vin

Left_Here

I use the gel ones, bought them a couple years ago and they keep my hands nice and warm. I have raynaulds so often have to use them indoors as well as out. Mine you just boil in water then snap the little metal bit and they stay nice and hot for quite a while, no faff.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I use the gel ones, bought them a couple years ago and they keep my hands nice and warm. I have raynaulds so often have to use them indoors as well as out. Mine you just boil in water then snap the little metal bit and they stay nice and hot for quite a while, no faff.
raynaud's sufferer here too - if you havent got a pair of the silk base layer gloves i recommend them (i got mine from blacks but millets and similar will stock them too) - not enough on their own but used with a hand warmer they do help keep your fingers a little warmer for a little longer and theyre thin enough to not interfere with shooting

(although i also usually put another pair of thinnish thermal gloves on between ends too)

i find my bow hand is usually OK but if my tab hand goes all 'raynaudy' then my release is gone to #### for the rest of the round as it gets increasingly difficult to actually let the string go or know what your fingers are doing !

slainte :boggled: rob

Waffles

These threads come up at the perfect times! I was just looking for a hand warmer. A glove helps to keep my bowhand warm but the other hand is frozen in no time. The gel ones are fairly cheap and easy to use so I'll probably give those a shot first. They'll pay for themselves versus the disposable ones in about 5 sessions.

Zef

Dip your hands in goose fat, it makes pulling arrows a pain but your hands will be toasty and you can have roast potatoes for tea. And it will help show if your grip is right.

The gel based, re-boilable ones are best if you intend to use them a lot, although I imagine wearing gloves whilst you aren't shooting will help.

cestria

Fonz Awardee
Any recommendations?
Cheers!

Come off it, hand warmers!!!

Us Northern types should be able to to let our hands freeze to the bow, that way you know you've got your grip right

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
I've found if the air temp is below 4 celius,the tab hand fingers soon go too stiff to release cleanly.The best advice I ever had for winter shooting was "when the bow goes down on the stand,the gloves go on!!" (thermal ,by the way).The charcoal stick warmers I've found to be the best,but start them glowing on a gas burner,at both ends if you want more heat!.Not keen on the lighter fuel types,if they leak you could find your clothes on fire,a bigger risk than the charcoal sticks....