Has anyone tested or bought the WiaWis MXT limbs?

assybish

Hi All - looking at Limbs for next season ... looking at WW MXT, MK Zest and Border CV9. I would be very interested to hear forum members experiences and chrono results or and even better Draw force curves for any of these limbs Thanks

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
Jake Kaminski has some of the MXTs (foam and wood core) at the moment, and has so far posted a couple of videos on his youtube channel where he ended by saying that he would be posting another at some stage with some actual figures, I think he hinted at DFC / chrono data.

Shore Shot archery has a review or two of the Zest, with some comparisons and if I remember right some chrono figures.

Stretch

The first two limbs you mention are simple evolution from what has gone before (EX Prime/ and Power and Veracity). The CV9 is the latest on Border’s Super Recurve path. I don’t think you can compare them anyway other than shooting them. Super/Extreme designs (see also Ukkha XCurve etc) are loved by some, not so much by others.

On the more traditional limb side the MK MX is probably the faster limb if Chrono is what you’re judging by. Also the MXT are advertised as being stable - if it is speed you want then surely the NS-G or NS Foam? I would be surprised if you were disappointed by any of theses pick the ones you fancy the look of :p

Personally I’d go Zest or MXT Wood as I prefer stability and generally have a slight preference for wood core limbs.

Riser design might influence my choice.

At a guess, based on DFC and speed, the Border will trounce all the other contenders on the list. But only you can tell how that delivers in terms of results. There are others in the forum with much Border love and I’m sure they can tell you why they love them.

Stretch

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
No, the CV9 aren't the next on the Border super recurve path. They are a bifurcation, as their super-super recurves move forward on the bolt down side of design, so you'll see some differences simply because ILF shooters want some flexibility with bolt positions. They are also tolerant of a (slightly) higher bh than some Borders.
However, the CV9s are designed specifically for ILF. I don't know what you are planning on using them for but there are some very interesting results with string walkers (like they don't seem to mind weird tillers). I have a set just for oly target, and while they are pocket rockets, they are forgiving, stable and rather sensible and understated in shot feel. I can look for a DFC for you.
I haven't shot any of the other limbs you are interested in.

Stretch

No, the CV9 aren't the next on the Border super recurve path. They are a bifurcation, as their super-super recurves move forward ...
So yes they are the next step but on a potentially divergent path. As the OP was talking ILF I took that as a given. Or has the limbs shape gone backwards? Either way they are more Marmite than the other limbs on the list.

Stretch

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hmm. If you saw them in comparison to Hex8 ILF, CVX and Hex9 you'd understand. They are different to all of these. However, if you just mean that they aren't the conventional limb shape that the big manufacturers are still going with then, yeah, they're super recurves.
If you look at the DFC there is a flat spot between 23 and 28" where the draw weight remains almost unchanged. *that* is what limb profile does for you. Forget this 2lb per inch or whatever. You do the work early in the draw and have it smooth and easy through the clicker if you are using one. So it's not just about speed. It's about feel for the shooter.

assybish

Jake Kaminski has some of the MXTs (foam and wood core) at the moment, and has so far posted a couple of videos on his youtube channel where he ended by saying that he would be posting another at some stage with some actual figures, I think he hinted at DFC / chrono data.

Shore Shot archery has a review or two of the Zest, with some comparisons and if I remember right some chrono figures.
Thanks mate -I had seen Jake' early reviews hoping for chronos etc soon ???

assybish

The first two limbs you mention are simple evolution from what has gone before (EX Prime/ and Power and Veracity). The CV9 is the latest on Border’s Super Recurve path. I don’t think you can compare them anyway other than shooting them. Super/Extreme designs (see also Ukkha XCurve etc) are loved by some, not so much by others.

On the more traditional limb side the MK MX is probably the faster limb if Chrono is what you’re judging by. Also the MXT are advertised as being stable - if it is speed you want then surely the NS-G or NS Foam? I would be surprised if you were disappointed by any of theses pick the ones you fancy the look of :p

Personally I’d go Zest or MXT Wood as I prefer stability and generally have a slight preference for wood core limbs.

Riser design might influence my choice.

At a guess, based on DFC and speed, the Border will trounce all the other contenders on the list. But only you can tell how that delivers in terms of results. There are others in the forum with much Border love and I’m sure they can tell you why they love them.

Stretch
Thanks .. The MXT are a nod to border as they have increased the "recurve" to "smooth out" the draw and reduce stacking .. hence my interest . I have One wood - nice - bit slower but good limbs and feel - also have wiaiwis power ( foam cores) faster than one .. haven't been able to try NS .. that's the bummer with archery so few of us are able to try equipt before spending sill amounts of money : I have MK vera wood which I love but looking to increase as they are 36# and looking for 40# now I love MK BUT they are so hard to find in the UK and impossible to test :( As it will be my last and only my second new pair of limbs ever I am really trying to be sure. A friend who shoots nationals in Poland loves MK Zest ad said he found MXT stacked ...odd given they claim the opposite

assybish

Hmm. If you saw them in comparison to Hex8 ILF, CVX and Hex9 you'd understand. They are different to all of these. However, if you just mean that they aren't the conventional limb shape that the big manufacturers are still going with then, yeah, they're super recurves.
If you look at the DFC there is a flat spot between 23 and 28" where the draw weight remains almost unchanged. *that* is what limb profile does for you. Forget this 2lb per inch or whatever. You do the work early in the draw and have it smooth and easy through the clicker if you are using one. So it's not just about speed. It's about feel for the shooter.
Hi as ever great responses from the forum. Yes I am aware of Border - I have Hex 6.5 wood and hex core , also had Hex 7.5 UNTIL they exploded in my face at full draw .. :( I preferred the 7.5 "feel" to the 6.5 but have lost some faith in hex and wood core hex because of this - they were less than 300 shots ! am interested in th CV9 but all the data s Sid's and I was looking for independent data and actual usage comments. My interest is in FITA 1440 and 720 with some interest in clout and field but not string walking .. sighted only .I use flatbow and horsebow for "instinctive" styles .Yes the ease through clicker is a main interest of mine .. hence the CV9 consideration .. but as I said I have lost some confidence in border limbs at present . The MXT seem like a nod to super recurve but as I said above I have had some disagreeing comments from the coupe of people I know used them. MK I know are god quality limbs and the claimed speed increases of the zest makes them interesting as a border competitor . hence my conundrum . plus all are EXPENSIVE .. Border the most . Thanks I knew you would respond and your input as ever is greatly appreciated .

Stretch

The Border bit...

I have seen the CV9 profile, Sid has pics on the site. So I know it is not “more extreme” but it is their next thing. The light weight under the clicker is something I have mixed feelings about. My Winnex were 1# per inch and they were very floaty at full draw and made me very hesitant on the shot. For the same reason I didn’t like Hoyt FX and the Hoyt Velos are *just* ok. 34# 70” is 39# @32” in the middle of the range. The 38# Quattro is 46# in the middle of the range. If my wrist wasn’t knackered I’d prefer the profile of the Quattro o_O

The top limb comparison bit:

You have some nice toys. The problem you have is that what feels good to one person doesn’t feel right to another. Often terms like stack are used for the wrong reason. The Borders will feel stiff early on and then smooth out - some might incorrectly describe that as stack. If you like the Borders you have, and have had, this might be a good choice for you. While the MXT have more recurve it doesn’t look anything like a Border profile. Maybe a Talisman Gold :ROFLMAO: (1997 ish?)

As the Veracity were known to be faster than the Vera/Vera II, and the Zest are another step down that path - that would seem to be the safer bet? (Or the MK MX if you are OK with foam core). All the W&W options listed are bigger jumps from the limbs designs you have been happy with.

But it is also worth remembering that if you are buying 40# limbs at 68” or 70” your resale market is pretty big if you really don’t like them. I will shut up now as I haven’t shot the specific models you are looking at.

Stretch

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If you are looking at these limbs, I would suggest you add in the current offering from Uukha in there too. If your in the UK and can get to Perris Archery you can shoot the limbs there.
I compared the old VX1000 against both Hoty and W&W top of the line limbs and felt the Uukha beat both by miles in terms of smoothness, feel and "oomph" on release, just felt really crisp and fast on the shot, and made the Hoyt Quattros i compared them against feel like £100 limbs....

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
I've just found someone on ArcheryTalk who's bought and reviewed a set of MXTs
A Review of the WiaWis MXT-G limbs vs the WiaWis NS limbs

I nearly stopped reading when he starts talking about brace heights of 29 and 36 cm! o_O But at the end of the thread he updates to say he'd missed a leading 2 from his figures and they should be 22.9 and 23.6cm which are just a tiny bit more reasonable :)

No chrono figures or DFC but he quotes an improvement in sight mark of 6.5 turns @ 60m over a set of NS, for 0.3lbs and 2mm more tiller with the MXTs.
There's also a comparison photo showing the profile of the MXT compared with the NS.

assybish

Well - I bit the bullet and bought some Wiawis MXT wood and coupled them with a Hoyt Xceed riser . After some sessions I am finding the combination of the MXT limbs and the "smooth" setting of the riser effective and at the same OTF# I can get through the clicker easier than my GMX plus Wiawis one wood limbs. Performance is slightly better than the one in terms of sight marks and I shall chrono as soon as time permits. I didn't go for the Borders for reasons I cannot go into .. I would still like to try the CV9 one day .. who knows. Scores have improved BUT so have I so a combo of skills , equipment and "new equipment syndrome" LOL . Still shooting the GMX too. Very similar feel to the Xceed but heavier and a little more quiet. The main benefit of the Xceed is the Winwin adjustment system instead of the tedious and impossible to get spot shim/washer system !