Has the WA1440 fallen out of favour ?

ben tarrow

Most, if not all the shoots that use exclusively foam bosses rent them fron companies that offer such a service at reasonable prices; it means the entry fee is a smidge higher, but not prohibitively so (that is the trade off for not wanting to shoot on straw though!), so storage becomes less of an issue.
I've never heard of companies that rent out bosses (foam or otherwise)
Can you point me in the right direction (pm me if it contravenes the advertising rules)

GoneBad

I still don't like shooting into straw due to the amount of bits of straw and sticky gluey stuff that sticks to your arrows....
Kiwi Express Shine sponge (the neutral one) on the front 6 inches. Makes a fantastic arrow lube and stops crud sticking to the shaft. Totally mess free as you cannot over apply it

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
My club holds a WRS WA1440 shoot every April, which is incredibly well attended by both top ranking archers and 'amateurs', in Leicestershire. We get the foam targets out for tournaments (which we don't hire, we own), and we use straw targets for practice.

dottorfoggy

1440 is the most interesting competition for target shooter, it really challenge you with the mental side and is the perfect benchmark for the technique.
I really hope in a come back for the near future for this round!

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
1440 is the most interesting competition for target shooter, it really challenge you with the mental side and is the perfect benchmark for the technique.
I really hope in a come back for the near future for this round!
I still prefer the York round to the WA1440.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I liked the York more ,too. But that's because I found it easier. I don't mean easier to get a big score, but easier because the max zone is bigger. 60y on a big face always felt easier than the 50m and 30m on the smaller face.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
All the distances are shot on full size faces 122cm. 6 dozen at 100y 4 dozen at 80y 2 dozen at 60y.

So half the round is shot at maximum distance, but that gives you more shots to settle in or catch up after a bad start.
With the 1440 you never settle to one distance before you are on to the next. Also, the 80cm face gives some archers a bit of a shock at 50m.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
lol, let's face it, almost all other rounds are more fun to shoot than the 720 (the world's most boring round*)

* - though I was waiting for the updates this afternoon to see if Brady was going to shoot a new world record or not... 702 - he did!

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
lol, let's face it, almost all other rounds are more fun to shoot than the 720 (the world's most boring round*)

* - though I was waiting for the updates this afternoon to see if Brady was going to shoot a new world record or not... 702 - he did!
And, 708 the day before in practice!!!

Mick

jrfrost

My club, Bowmen of Glen in Leicestershire, decided to change our double 720 to a H2H a few years ago. Both of our tournament weekends are now a H2H with a 1440 on the Sunday. All 32 bosses are on layered foam.

we find the 1440 just as popular as the H2H, at the same time as moving to a H2H we moved to 4 faces per boss at 50m and 30m so we could shoot 6 arrows per end for the whole day. This was the biggest complaint we got about the 1440, shoot 3 arrows makes for a very long day.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
we find the 1440 just as popular as the H2H, at the same time as moving to a H2H we moved to 4 faces per boss at 50m and 30m so we could shoot 6 arrows per end for the whole day.
Is that 6 zone scoring faces?

Andy!

There's been a bit of a worldwide trend with longer activities all suffering reduced participation.
It's not just a WA1440 problem. (although it did die in the ass as soon as the competition to decide a World Champion changed away from it.)
It's still regarded as a yardstick by many archers as the number of people who have broken 1400 is still very small, compared to the number who have broken 700 (which used to be regarded as a magic number, but now is more like a 4 minute mile).

Many activities live and die by the smallest margins of incentive involved. A 1440 does take a lot of time, but you were rewarded with the ability to see where you stand in terms of the rest of the world.
Now you just have an competition format which takes a long time... with the chance of getting to 1400 still way out of most people's ability.
Faster and easier to do a WA 50/720, feel better about yourself because you're only a "few points away" from 700, and go home to watch Netflix.