Help with getting distances please

Alicat

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your help with previous daft questions, here is another one.
I bought a 2nd hand Hoyt Vixcen recently which came with a Trophy Taker launcher rest, a Toxonics 1400 sight and a Cartel Expert scope, all pretty good for a beginner. My problem is that when I try to shoot 50 yd the arrows are hitting the bottom of the scope so can't get a decent group. Also everything is going left and I can't get enough windage on the sight. My arrows are Platinum plus 1616 which according to the 2010 arrow chart are OK. My draw length is 26.5" and the draw weight is currently about 32 lb. I had the bow checked at a pro shop, new strings and cables fitted. The bracing height is what the manual says it should be. I have tried a smaller scope and still get the same problem.
Can anyone suggest what I could try to get better clearance.
Thanks, Alicat

Stash

You can lower your anchor point (i.e. raise the peep sight in the string) and/or increase the arrow speed by increasing draw weight and/or lightening the arrow. If you haven't done it yet, you can also bring your sight in towards the bow (shorten the extension).

As for the windage, lots of possible problems there, from center-shot to type of release to grip torque.

Best you get some hands-on help from an experienced archer.

M

Moose

My daughter shoots a Hoyt Selena with a 25" draw and can shoot 80 yds no problem with the poundage at about 34

Selena considerably slower than a vixen she shoots 2L-04 ACC's

courtesy of moose on the loose

philhoney

Hi,
I agree with the lower anchor. One of our lady members shoots an old (slow) PSE set at 28lbs and can reach 80yds easily. She anchors as if she was shooting recurve, ie. under the chin.
Phil

Alicat

Thanks everyone,
It sounds like a lower anchor point is the way to go. I use a release but I could move down from my ear to my jaw.
Cheers,
Alicat

english_archer

Ironman
Thanks everyone,
It sounds like a lower anchor point is the way to go. I use a release but I could move down from my ear to my jaw.
Cheers,
Alicat
Ideally you want your first two knuckles to sit tight into your jaw bone with your palm facing down to the ground :) I seem to think the cartel expert is a massive scope designed for 3D field shooting, if you are a target archer it may pay you to bung it on ebay and get a smaller scope

roytherecurve

You could also try smaller fletches on Your Ali's or move up to ACC's (other Ali/carbon arrow shafts are available!) to help give you more speed and range as well as increasing bow weight and everything else that has been suggested...

philhoney

Thanks everyone,
Cheers,
Alicat
Hi,
Anchoring by your ear could also account for your arrows going left. If you drop your hand until it is tight against or even under your jaw it should help matters.
Phil

lbp121

Hi,
What sort of release are you using? A wrist release with finger trigger will often mean the bow has to be set short because of the extension of the release jaw. A hand held release, knuckles into the jaw and palm away from face will mean bow can be set for longer power stroke as wall as anchoring lower.
The Expert is too big at 2 inch diameter for most people and can restrict range and windage. It is also hard to centre the peep in the scope at normal sight extension lengths.

Alicat

Thanks Everyone,
I have tried a smaller scope and will continue using it as I thought the Expert is too big at 50mm.
I am using a Tru ball Trial Boss release which I am finding quite OK.
I will change one thing at a time and see how it goes, so lower anchor point first. Hopefully can try tomorrow evening but forecast is rain so might have to wait for the weekend.
Cheers, Alicat

lbp121

A good starting point will be jaw bone between index and 2nd finger knuckles and set peep aperture to be in eye centre at 50 or 60 yards.
I expect this will mean moving peep up the string but if this is any more than a tiny amount all your sight marks will be wildly different. If possible start at silly close distance and work up to the main long distances in 5 or 10 yard intervals.
I can't quite reach 100 in that position but if I drop slightly lower on the jaw I can reach it easily and then the face reference is good for all the other distances.