Hex 7 versus CV9

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Just a photo comparison of the curves, here.
Hex7 at the top. Note that the CV9 has a smoother curve, and (not obvious here) the tip is more forward and slighly lower than the Hex 7.

20210927_142357-02.jpeg

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
That's not something I'll be able to measure, in anything other than generalities... I've got the CV9s as a re-entry to shooting: lighter weight. I mean, I will measure them... but I'd be astonished if FPS was at all close to the older limbs, with the same shafts.

Sid did publish some graphs relating to relative smoothness (might have been just on Facebook, though).

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’ve had both HEX 7.2‘s (Black Douglas )and HEX 9’s (Covert Hunter) My totally un scientific feeling is:

7.2‘s loaded up earlier in the draw and were smoother at the end feeling almost like a compound let off. (As do 8’s)
9’s are smoother all the way and feel a lot more punchy /springy/lively.

I bought a Barebow and a set of reasonable carbon foam limbs of 4 lbs more draw weight than the HEX 9’s and it feels like pulling into a compound draw stop in comparison. Also point on is down 5 1/2 yards. I can’t wait for my CVX’s to arrive..

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for posting that. It’s interesting reading. I have the 6.6H limbs and I do feel the “let off” effect at full draw. I’d love to see what that feels like on the 7.2s but that’ll have to wait for another day and a fatter wallet!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Okay.
Did a quick and dirty speed check this evening.
316gr shafts - 178fps
276gr shafts - 186fps
Note: no setup or tuning done, and this was with existing shafts of unknown match, though the heavier ones are probably on the stiff side...
BH 7.5"
Measured draw weight 32# (dead on marked weight)

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You should be able to do better than that I reckon. I find my 9s like to be driven a little - I have them set to mid point and perhaps a little more wound in. Performance jumps a bit if you pull them in a little. I use a lower brace height, too, I have a 68" bow and am on 7 3/8" max. I get 200 ish fps but I'm on 42lbs and 375gn arrows.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I don't think it's a bad result, as it stands. I'll most likely check it again after everything is properly set up.
Ultimately, it's a "good enough" kind of thing, which is entirely governed by the purpose (in this case, getting me shooting again, after 18 months of nothing). They should get me out to at least 70m, judging from this.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Got another new toy: radar chrono.
Put a dozen shots past it with the X10s. Ranged from 186 to 190, average 187fps. About 21 foot-lbs energy wise.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
So, did a rough setup last Monday, with the X10s. Ended up a couple of pounds heavier. Chronoed it today at 195fps.