+ Home Made Finger Sling +

Zak

After trying out a finger sling at the range, I went home that afternoon and made one out of a shoelace and twine.
The next day, I went to my Grandparent's place to shoot.
I was doing pretty well until the last arrow when my finger sling decided it was the most appropriate time to slip off.
My PSE Stinger flew out of my hand and went crashing to the ground, plus my father saw it all.
Very embarassing but funny.
:duh:

Flying Whale

After trying out a finger sling at the range, I went home that afternoon and made one out of a shoelace and twine.
The next day, I went to my Grandparent's place to shoot.
I was doing pretty well until the last arrow when my finger sling decided it was the most appropriate time to slip off.
My PSE Stinger flew out of my hand and went crashing to the ground, plus my father saw it all.
Very embarassing but funny.
:duh:
But it does show you were using it properly. A lot of people put on a finger sling, but still grab the bow...

Zak

My bow is fine.
I can't believe I didn't think of that finger sling in the video. >.<
Cheers. :D

munchkin

Supporter
Supporter
Has anyone tried making a finger sling out of elastic I wonder? I've just found a bit of shock cord, I'll give it a go when I go shooting later tonight!
I would have thought it would keep tightening, and eventually cut off the circulation to your fingers and thumb???

mouse123

It didn't cut off the circulation but it wasn't as good as one made from non-elastic string. But, as I had forgotten my proper sling, it served well enough to let me shoot.

gster123

I use the shoelace loop as Murray posted. I like shoelaces as they have a bit of "give". The loops are great as they tighten slightly when you shoot and the bow hits the sling.

I note that most archers use this on the first finger and thumb, but I use it on the second finger and thumb instead, not too sure of any advantages or disadvantages from this other than my Index finger is free to open the clicker when loading the arrow, and it feels wrong if I do it on the first finger.

urbin

I never liked shoelaces - I like firm round cord (I think because the firmness convinced me it wasn't going to slip off!). I ended up making my own out of cord and rubber tubing, although I also experimented with heat-shrink tubing for the middle join:

Woodie

I never liked shoelaces - I like firm round cord (I think because the firmness convinced me it wasn't going to slip off!). I ended up making my own out of cord and rubber tubing, although I also experimented with heat-shrink tubing for the middle join:

Me too 3 mm climbing cord and fish tank air tubing. 30 cm cord melt the ends together then slide the tubing over.
Job done.

EVC

I used to use the shoe lace finger sling as in the video Murray posted. However it never felt really safe with it as it felt loose. I like the one bellow better:

[video=youtube;ITdcVWWizHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITdcVWWizHM[/video]

The sling stays tight on one's fingers. I is a little harder to learn but ten minutes playing with the shoe lace and that is it.

Hope this helps.

Elder.

cliveanne

Ironman
This is just a personal thing, I slung my sling many years ago. I go the "Hold the egg" route. Close the bottom three fingers & hold the "Grip" in the web of the thumb & cross the forefinger over the back of the bow (for the uninitiated the back of the bow is at the front...target side), I find it sets the wrist, elbow & shoulder. My bow hand is fully relaxed, & the forefinger stops any forward travel. It's worth a try out, if nothing else. :archer:

NickL

...I note that most archers use this on the first finger and thumb, but I use it on the second finger and thumb instead, not too sure of any advantages or disadvantages from this other than my Index finger is free to open the clicker when loading the arrow, and it feels wrong if I do it on the first finger.
I used to use my finger-sling this way too until my Coach told me not to, something to do with the bow not pivoting square to my wrist upon release I think.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I use a narrow strip of leather and cut a slit near each end for the finger and thumb.No moving parts, no knots, and gentle on the finger/ thumb. Also there is very little between the finger/thumb and the bow, as the leather is slim.

Darth Tom

I have a shoelace tied in a loop, make a little loop around my thumb and first finger.

Incidentally, I have tested looping it around the first and middle fingers, there is really no difference and I normally switch if my index is sore from cricket.