home made spine tester ?

Darren

Hi, bit of background, just bought my first bow after using club recurve for a few months Rochdale company of archers - English Longbow 40lb@28 I draw 31.5 gives me about 46lb - lemonwood/purpleheart/hickory/bamboo laminates. only had it 10 days and love it to death already, just puts the biggest grin on my face ever, constantly saying "this is my last end" and i'm still saying it an hour later :)

I want to be making my own arrows for indoor season this year and a good out door set / sets for target and clout next summer. Love the idea of making my own gear and the tools to go with that.

I've been looking at the guides for making "spine testers" and while it seems possible, i was wondering if I could modify it to something like this--->

My knowlege is very limited about traditional archery and by association wooden arrows, so my thinking with the above is spine is just a bend /deflection of the shaft with a 2lb weight over 26 inches ?

If I can make the scale correct then would i get an accurate reading by hanging the weight from the arrow and reading what the attached pointer settles at ?

If I needed to could I say spine a range of arrows on a shops spine tester and transfer those readings to my verticle scale to give me an accurate scale and hence an accurate spine of the arrows i test there ?

Does this seem possible or should I just try for the standard home made tester ?

Thanks...

Egstonvonbrick

That would work fine... but... most have a system to amplify the reading... i.e. a long needle.. you may need very good eyesight and a very fine pen! :)

Cheers
Ev

D

Deleted member 7654

Parallax is likely to be a prob for good readings, so some sort of indicator needle is a good idea.
I've seen plenty of plans on't interweb.
Del

Darren

Nice one, like the look of the one in the link you put up Egstonvonbrick :) Nice that you can download the scale as well.
I've a few weeks off in October i'll have to get the materials in place first then spend a few days knocking some jigs together. I'll be after an arrow taper jig for Barreled and slim nock end arrows along with a grooved sanding block that I seen Little John using at the Longbow shops open day..

Shot outdoors for the first time the other day as well, National @ our club, with no sight marks, no idea what i was doing and not much luck hitting the target :) enjoyed it all the same, but it's not easy which makes it all the better wehn you do score a few points :)