[Horsebow] Horseback Archery in Hertfordshire

ChakaZulu

This is not intended as advertising, but people have previously posted wanting details of places to learn horseback archery and many were disappointed when the Centre of Horseback Combat moved to Wales. Well, they've now moved back to civilisation. Hemel Hempsted, to be precise. I believe it's the same venue as the Cloth of Gold NFAS club.

Details are at horsebackcombat.co.uk.

DavidH

Looks like a fascinating day out, I'm too old to ride horses these days, but I'm sure its great to watch

ChakaZulu

I'm in Sussex but I train at the Centre in Hemel Hempstead, not having a horse!
The championships is in August. Not sure of the exact weekend yet. It's not finalised but will be soon.
Dan

ChakaZulu

I live just outside Arundel, but there,s no horseback archery around here. I'm working on it but nothing yet!
Entry requirements for the Championships are:
1. be a paid-up member of the BHAA; and
2. demonstrate that you can safely canter the length of the track whilst drawing your bow.

ChakaZulu

It can be done on the day of competition but if the guys at the Centre have seen you do it before then that's fine. Likewise if I or Neil (the BHAA President) have seen you we can clear you.

Have you done horseback archery before?

i32547

Thanks Dan.
Am in the learning process, hopefully by August will be ready. What do you think? Am currently practicing about twice daily.

ChakaZulu

Are you Dan Sawyer by the way? And is that Neil Payne you are speaking of?
Yes to both!
If you are training twice daily then you should be fine. Basically you don't have to be good, just safe. In my first BHAA Championships I scored exactly one hit in the whole event! Of course, the following year I came second but that's what training does for you!

i32547

Ok that's great.

Hopefully will see you there then.

Also, were you looking for a quiver that you can tie round leg also? Or was that just Sarah dartmoorponygirl?

i32547

Dan, how often to you visit the centre to train?
Am just thinking, perhaps I could also visit to train whilst you are there...?

ChakaZulu

This year I suspect that I'll just be going to the BHAA training sessions and competitions. Busy year for events so not convinced I'll get much personal training done at all :(