[Horsebow] Horsebow fun?

SiKirk

Hi all,
I'm thinking of picking up a horsebow for some fun injection. :) Now I've only shot recurve before and have no knowledge about the trad stuff, so thought I'd drop a line here to see if someone could point me in the right direction as to what I need to know, types of bow I should be looking at etc.

Cheers
-Si

- Si

BillM

I am basically a recurve archer. I bought a longbow for fun but have shot it competitively. Now that I go to the local field club I decided to get a Hungarian Scythian Bow so that I shoot from the blue peg with the others rather than the red peg for the recurve on my own. The one I got was by Flagella Die and cost about ?90 (eBay). There are better quality bows on the market but I didn't want to spend a great deal for something I would use for FUN. Saying that I am doing the Argyll Field Archers shoot this weekend. I find the little horsebow quite enjoyable and although rated at 52# it isn't too hard to pull. Worth a look.

BillM

philhoney

Hi,
I bought my grandaughter one of these :-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120706521439?var=420032260081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 at the end of last summer. She only used it a couple of times because she used her compound indoors where we all shoot at the same distance. She has said that she can't wait to go outdoors again where she can "have some fun" with the horsebow.
Phil

SiKirk

I feel a trip to the longbow shop coming on. I wouldnt mind having a try with a Grozer old Sythian and compare it to a samick mind 50.
I bet I spend more than my budget though... so I'd better save up a little more cash, just in case! Unless some kind sole has something similar they want to offload! :)

TheLongbowShop

More than welcome to come down and I'll string a few up for you ;) We have a good range and more on the way!

Jase

I feel a trip to the longbow shop coming on. I wouldnt mind having a try with a Grozer old Sythian and compare it to a samick mind 50.
I bet I spend more than my budget though... so I'd better save up a little more cash, just in case! Unless some kind sole has something similar they want to offload! :)

ChakaZulu

I would definitely try before you buy. In particular I would try the large siyah, Hungarian style bows and the shorter, Scythian/Korean bows.
I much prefer the latter but it's a matter of taste really. I would try a Grozer Old Scythian and a Kaya, which are the two best budget short horsebows for my money.