[Horsebow] Horsebow speed comparison to recurve

BorderBows

our hex4 TX40 limbs on a 19" riser did a respectable 205fps AMO. 9gpp, 30" draw finger shot.

here is the thread.:

with some great quotes from Flight shooter and longbow guru OL Adock (pokenhope)
"Oh, The highest performing ILF limbs we've tested were Border's also, beat G3's and WinWin's by 4-5%. Sid and his boys are doing thing right...O.L. "

and
"If the numbers you had were 197, that had to be for 28", my old notes shows AMO of 205 (30")which fits in with the best of the best. The BD also had the highest se/pdf we've seen to date"
again 2008

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=180510&messages=97&CATEGORY=3

When looking at bow speed you need to know draw length, Arrow weight and poundage on fingers. or else the numbers are down right useless.

We had a guy shooting 5.8gpp at 30" from a 60" recurve quoting 254fps. it was a 100lbs at 30". you can add some 6-8fps for finger shot vs mechanical release

Arrow weight is vital to the equation.
But we have yet to see a hungarian style bow keep up with a recurve under normal shooting conditions

blakey

When looking at bow speed you need to know draw length, Arrow weight and poundage on fingers. or else the numbers are down right useless.

We had a guy shooting 5.8gpp at 30" from a 60" recurve quoting 254fps. it was a 100lbs at 30". you can add some 6-8fps for finger shot vs mechanical release

Arrow weight is vital to the equation.
But we have yet to see a hungarian style bow keep up with a recurve under normal shooting conditions
Karpowicz got 345 fps out of a 105.5 lb Turkish @ 27.5" with a 203 grain arrow. Cheers

Carlos the Jackal

Hi Jim,
I wouldn`t consider trying to string my Turkish bow by myself. a: So i don`t injure myself and b: So i don`t damage the limbs. I squat with the centre of the bow up against the top of my legs near my knees and holding each siyah with my hands, pull the limbs up. My friend then places the string into the nocks and hey presto.

As far as traditional horn/sinew bow speed goes, you have to consider what climate in which they are going to be used. Wet weather like we have here isn`t the best environment to shoot them in. They can lose a lot of poundage hence speed if they get damp, so there is a lot to be said for bows made out of modern materials if you want consistency and the `feel` of traditional horn bows. The bio-composite bows that are available today may be the best choice between old and new.

Carl

BorderBows

1.93gpp isnt really what i call an arrow...
to be comapirable to the stats ive given you would need a 619grain arrow to which the closer number would be 232fps...granted we did have an extra 2" of draw, but we were finger shot at 8fps disadvanatage

BorderBows

infact the 92lbs bow at 28" would need to shoot a 828grain arrow to shoot at 9gpp.
and with numbers of 197fps from 8gpp from a flight bow trigger shot.
so as said you can loose between 6-8fps.

"If the numbers you had were 197, that had to be for 28", my old notes shows AMO of 205 (30")which fits in with the best of the best. The BD also had the highest se/pdf we've seen to date"

AMO is 9gpp.

Recurve at conventional shooting lengths, vs turkish flight bow, the recurve still wins...
64" bow vs 44" 64" bow designed for stability vs out and out hotrod, and still wins.

Recurve flight bow... now there is a different beasty...
now what kind of speed does a conventional Turkish bow acheive vs a turkish flight bow

Are we to compair Flight with Flight or Normal vs Normal...
49" war bow...
75lbs war bow at 7gpp shot 208fps.
75lbs War bow at 9.9gpp shot 184fps.

our Griffon GL Flatbow acheived 189fps fingershot with 9gpp from a 50lbs bow at 28"... so from what im seeing at 28" the turkishflight bow struggles to keep up with a flatbow. since it acheives at 9gpp what that flight bow does at 8gpp if you take off the 7fps for trigger release.

unless i have my numbers wrong or Karpowicz trigger is slow...

human106

I'm shooting an Inno CXT with EX-Prime limbs, draw weight on fingers is 54lb and using Maxima Blue Streak 150's with 71gr tips (inc.inserts) cut to 30.5" (approx 288grains based on manufacturer info rather than weighing) and I just chrono'd today, five arrows...lowest was 234fps highest was 239.

I wouldn't want it any faster, it's damned unforgiving as it is....twitchy.