[Horsebow] Horsebow suitable for child

demig

Hi guys, bit of advice needed

After a superb weekend shooting at Argyll Field Archers my son is keen on getting a horse bow for a bit of variety when we are up there, the question is what's suitable? Currently he shoots a 18lb recurve and to be honest he can pull quite a bit higher, he's nearly 10 but strong. We probably want to go up a little for some of the longer field distances. Draw length I'm not sure on as I'm away from home at the moment and it's been a while since we measured, can edit this in later unless BKupris is around and can estimate this from the weekend? It's probably about the same as Perseus's draw length....

So does anyone have suggestions for a horsebow which isn't too expensive, isn't too much of a "toy kids bow" and is is about right for this kind of archer as a starting point?

Cheers

Demig

Riceburner

lots of choice. Samick SKB or Kaya KTB would both be ideal in their 'lightest' draw weights I'd suggest - also both available commercially with warranty etc from the usual well-known suppliers. (But check the lightest draw weights - iirc they both go down to 20-ish lbs), but their true weight is measured at something like a 30" draw (long draw to the ear) which is the way they're 'supposed' to be used, so the lightest should be around 18-20 with a shorter draw.

They seem to work well with a 'regular' draw - with my 60lb Samick Mind50 (SKB with carbon faced limbs) I can get a decent amount of power with only a half draw - works well for very short distances.

He'll love it - they're seriously light to carry - ideal for field.

demig

Thanks, I was worried about the effect of the shorter draw, obviously reduces the weight but the feel of the shot etc must be affected as well. Glad to know you find this doesn't cause too many issues. I'll take a look at these and see what we can find. Know what you mean about ease of use, having shot my AFB round Argyll course at weekending certainly appreciated not carrying round my full recurve kit, barebow is more relaxing in general :) I missed my Hex6s though, may have to save for a Ghillie Dhu myself!

Demig