[Horsebow] horsebows....

edmundblack

:starry-ey That's ... wonderful!

PLEEEASE tell me how to go about learning to make one! :eek:ptimist:

I've got a Grozer Scythian, and it's really sweet to shoot. Very quick, excellent cast and out does my longbow in distance easily (they're the same lb).

Jhoneil

Edmund,

Not sure if you have to register on Leatherwall but I posted a buildalong in there:

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=197446&category=88#2538549"]http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=197446&category=88#2538549

compkiller

The American
American Shoot
:

I've got a Grozer Scythian, and it's really sweet to shoot. Very quick, excellent cast and out does my longbow in distance easily (they're the same lb).
In a moment of madness I've just bought myself a Magyar bow. (I feel like a kid waiting for xmas). I already have a 50# longbow and the Magyar is rated at 48#. Will I get away with the same arrows, or because of the extra speed am I likely to have to go stiffer.

compkiller

The American
American Shoot
Yes thats right. English longbow so no shelf.

Under GNAS I believe that horse bows are classed as barebow recurve for competitions with I think a mediteranian loose. Is shooting off the thumb allowed so long as you don't use a thumb ring?

ChakaZulu

I'm not sure how much field differs, as I shoot NFAS field, but GNAS target there is no requirement to use the mediterranean loose. String- and face walking are allowed, as is thumb I believe. Just not a thumbring (although some interpretations I've seen say thumbring is allowed because it's like a tab, but any notch etc in the thumbring makes it a release aid and therefore not allowed outside compound).

But yes, you'd be in recurve barebow unless your bow and arrows are entirely traditional, in which case you could shoot recurve traditional in field.

English Bowman

I'm not sure how much field differs, as I shoot NFAS field, but GNAS target there is no requirement to use the mediterranean loose. String- and face walking are allowed, as is thumb I believe. Just not a thumbring (although some interpretations I've seen say thumbring is allowed because it's like a tab, but any notch etc in the thumbring makes it a release aid and therefore not allowed outside compound).

But yes, you'd be in recurve barebow unless your bow and arrows are entirely traditional, in which case you could shoot recurve traditional in field.
Yep, that's how I see the rules and having asked one senior GNAS judge, that's how he saw them too. The only thing that I'd add to that is in GNAS Field Traditional style is not allowed to string or face-walk.

shazidur

Hi everyone, i just joined this forum couple days ago and wondering if someone can help me find a cheap but good quality horsebow. I have been looking around and have seen a few in grozer website, can anyone recomend me any?

Thanks

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi everyone, i just joined this forum couple days ago and wondering if someone can help me find a cheap but good quality horsebow. I have been looking around and have seen a few in grozer website, can anyone recomend me any?

Thanks
Grozer is a well respected boyer - and thouroughly nice guy (according to Uller), and you won't go far wrong with his stuff.

I recently got a bow from here. Good price, Looks great and shoots pretty well. Delivery was also good, direct from hungary

Heres a pic

Last edited:

compkiller

The American
American Shoot

Thanks for that. I have been shooting in the garden with it for a few days now (about 8m), trying various reference points both on my face and string. I even tried with my thumb, not a good experience.

I have found that it doesn't like me using a finger tab so I got a glove. Feels much better and I am even getting a feel for what I presume is face and string walking. (can you do both at the same time, if that makes sence). Judging from where I am having to aim at home I reckon that if I go with 3 fingers under and come to the side of my mouth with my middle finger I will be just about point on gold at 20yds. Will try when were allowed back indoors this weekend.

shazidur

Grozer is a well respected boyer - and thouroughly nice guy (according to Uller), and you won't go far wrong with his stuff.

I recently got a bow from here. Good price, Looks great and shoots pretty well. Delivery was also good, direct from hungary

Heres a pic
Thanks alot for that. I was looking at those bows from ebay but wasnt to sure on wheather or not they are any good as I never herd of the bow maker. Since you have used the bow, in your opinon, does it stack, vibrate or have any hand shock? My draw lenght is 32" so would that bow from ebay suite me?

Thanks

Regards
Shazidur

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks alot for that. I was looking at those bows from ebay but wasnt to sure on wheather or not they are any good as I never herd of the bow maker. Since you have used the bow, in your opinon, does it stack, vibrate or have any hand shock? My draw lenght is 32" so would that bow from ebay suite me?
I took a bit of a gamble with it...but please that I did.

I've not shot it a lot, but I did shoot a long warwick (80/60yrds) and got the range without problem. Bow weighs in at 50# @ 28"

My draw is about 31"....you may be OK @ 32" if you go for the Hungarian. Some of his bows quote shorter draw lengths.

Took about 1 week from payment to get delivered from Hungary, so not too bad at all.