How do you do 18 strand two-colour strings?

murfz51

I think I've cracked doing 16 strand (and 20 strand) 2 colour recurve strings. But what's the best way to 2 colour strings that need an odd number of 'loops' around the jig - i.e 14, 18, 22 strand?

Do you need to join the two colours with a knot at the halfway point of winding the string onto the jig? Or do you tie them off seperately at the 'far' end of the jig and let the serving hold them together, as they do at the other end?

Or is it best to simply do one loop more of one colour (i.e 5 loops of colour 1, 4 loops of colour 2) and hope no-one notices the slight imbalance? :duh:

buzz lite beer

tie 1st colour to a post (1), wind nine strands and tie end on post that will allow the 9th thread to be served over post (4) then begin winding the 2nd colour starting on post (3) wind on nine strands on jig ending by tieing off on Post (2).
#2..............#3
[------------]
#1..............#4

murfz51

Cheers Buzz, and thanks for the superb diagram! I'll give that a whirl.

But I can't escape the feeling that the string can't be as strong if its held together by the serving at both ends, instead of a big loop that's bound at just the one end.

Is that a daft concern?

buzz lite beer

Do you worry about the one end where the strands are joined failing on a normal string? if you do you should have more faith and if you can do it well enough to hold those two ends together without any signs of it failing then there is no reason why you can't do a equally good and secure job to hold both ends firmly im place. serve a bit tighter if you have any reservations.

The Meggy

I recently made a 14 strand two colour string (BCY 8125) for a recurve archer and just use two more strands of one colour than the other. It was shooting perfectly well last time I looked, plus to be honest you can't really tell that there is a difference between the two colours.