How do you make Nocks from Horn

osprey

Hi All

I decided to make things difficult for myself and rather than just buying ready made longbow nocks, I bought a horn so I could make them from scratch. I found the band-saw did a good job in cutting them to roughly the right size, but the next step is turning a slightly tapered rectangle of horn into a nock, and this is where I could do with some advice. What's the best way to shape the horn? A file would work but would take ages, is there a better way?

I've searched on YouTube, but not had much luck finding this. Most videos just show how to cut groves in the horn, so if you know of any instructional videos I'd be grateful if you could let me know the link

Thanks in advance

Regards
Osprey

bobnewboy

I would recommend Del Cat (Del’s on here too), and Richard Head Longbows for handy videos on YouTube.

As far as shaping goes, I have used a bandsaw (or hacksaw), followed by various rasps, scrapers (or penknives), and then finally sandpaper followed by T-cut, Solvol Autosol metal polish, or even toothpaste to polish them. Polishing is easiest if you use a Diablo-type action with strips of cloth, or some string for the nock grooves. The string groove can be cut in using a tile saw, and then the groove should also be smoothed and polished. I find the material (water buffalo horn for me) is a very satisfying material to work in, and it takes a good shine.

One video:

Or:

Or:

Or:

Etc etc.

D

Deleted member 7654

I've done a whole Youtube series on a longbow and a Warbow.
This episode shows fitting a horn nock onto a longbow.
I've just watched it through again... it's rather good! :ROFLMAO: 😲 🤔
Del

Last edited by a moderator: