How do you use your finger tab platform?

jonUK76

I am currently using a Soma JM tab which I think is basically a cheaper version of the Fivics Saker 1. Cheaper build and the leather isn't as thick, although otherwise it looks very similar. I find it nice to shoot with although I get annoyed with the frequency the screws in it come loose. Anyway, this tab has a platform on it, which can be moved to various positions or removed.

When I first got it, I wasn't overly keen on having the platform at the top, and seemed to prefer using it as a thumb rest, while using my thumb joint as an anchor point on my jaw. That is how I've continued to use it. So as per the title, for those who are using tabs with a platform, how do you use yours? Alternatively have you got a tab like his and decided to remove it?

Thanks

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I never got on with a platform tab so mine are always unscrewed and put in my bits and bobs drawer. The same goes for pinkie hooks; I learned to shoot without one and can't change.

Notwithstanding any of that, if you are using an under the chin anchor then the platform gives good results if you can get used to it. Normal use is to but it against your chin but a lot of people use it as a thumb rest to help stabilise the thumb as you describe.

And by the way, Loctite is great for archery gear; I use it on all my kit. The weak stuff (pinky red) is what you need; it holds the screws in place and you can get them out again when you need to without any issues. The stronger stuff is ok but can be more difficult to get apart.

ieuan_johns

Most who use them move them up so that they place against the jaw bone, I've really never seen anyone put their thumb on top and between (does your string contact point still get to your face that way?).

That said I found that mine was catching me too often on the follow through (I have ample extra chinnage) and getting sore so I took it off.

jonUK76

Thanks for the info. I do have some thread lock (a necessary addition for a Cartel sight!) so I'll use it on the tab :)

Ieuan, what I mean is on this particular tab anyway, the platform can be moved downwards where you can put your thumb, so it's not like my thumb is on top which would seem weird. Alternatively you can move it further up the tab to use it in the way you mention.

Attachments

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have actually known people lower the shelf and use it as a platform for the thumb on top. I even tried it myself. I'm not advocating it; just saying that I've seen it done.

grndkntrl

Supporter
Supporter
With my Aco Rugbii tab I have the platform set so I can rest my thumb on it so that the top of the thumb is level with the line of my forefinger. This way I can get a good solid fit of hand to jaw.

I also use the pinky hook attachment to prevent uncomfortable collapsing of my hand. I tried without and it was horrible having my pinky flap around in the breeze.

ThomVis

using it as a thumb rest, while using my thumb joint as an anchor point on my jaw.
This.

And judging by the picture yours is 1 size too small. If it works for you offering enough protection, by all means use it. But generally you want the metal plate to be just a tad smaller than your hand (top of index finger -> bottom of ring finger).
(And the Fivics Saker 1 has a point towards the wrist)

mkhari

Actually, in the picture the tab looks way small but if it works, then ignore that comment.

The way I use mine is that I butt up the metal piece to the string, so that means the metal piece has to finish between the first and second joints of your middle finger. You can see the metal piece has a cut out for the nock. Picked that up from the Art of Repetition book and it it has worked to make my release more consistent.

I then have the tab a bit higher and rest my thumb on it. I then adjust the position so that the top of my thumb is at the same height as the top of my hand.

Finally, at full draw, I rest my jaw in the groove between my thumb and the top of my hand. I use the pinky hook and adjust it so that I have an even draw pressure across all four of my fingers.

So to answer your question, I use the tab to rest my thumb on and make sure its in line with the top of my hand.

jonUK76

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't considered it was too small :) I don't (IMO) have particularly big hands so I went for a medium tab. The first I bought (a Soma Clover) was large and I had to cut a lot of the leather off, although the metal plate fit was fine. This one, I've also trimmed but far less. It does seem to give enough protection, although you've got me thinking maybe I should try a few out in person before getting the next one.

Unfortunately very few manufacturers give size guides :(

It appears I'm using it largely in the same way as a few of you, with the thumb level with the index finger to form a platform.

I have actually known people lower the shelf and use it as a platform for the thumb on top. I even tried it myself. I'm not advocating it; just saying that I've seen it done.
Sorry, that's what I meant :) That is pretty much how I use it. I took ieauan's post to mean having the tab platform in the upper position with the thumb laying on top of that (above the index finger) which I thought would be a bit strange.

Actually, in the picture the tab looks way small but if it works, then ignore that comment.

The way I use mine is that I butt up the metal piece to the string, so that means the metal piece has to finish between the first and second joints of your middle finger. You can see the metal piece has a cut out for the nock. Picked that up from the Art of Repetition book and it it has worked to make my release more consistent.

I then have the tab a bit higher and rest my thumb on it. I then adjust the position so that the top of my thumb is at the same height as the top of my hand.

Finally, at full draw, I rest my jaw in the groove between my thumb and the top of my hand. I use the pinky hook and adjust it so that I have an even draw pressure across all four of my fingers.

So to answer your question, I use the tab to rest my thumb on and make sure its in line with the top of my hand.
Thanks for your thoughts :) Yes it maybe not apparent from the pic but where that cut out is, is where the finger spacer is, so that is where the nock tends to be naturally. One thing I definitely can't say I do is put any significant pressure on the pinky hook, as I think it can cause the hand to rotate forward, applying rotational torque to the string. I noticed I was doing that for a while and consciously tried to stop doing it.