Other Hoyt - Floating Tiller Bolts - Will they fit a Hoyt Horizon?

Robaloba

Just a thought on the new Hoyt - Floating Tiller Bolts,
I gather they fit the new Hoyt Horizon Pro riser, but does anyone know if they fit the previous Hoyt Horizon riser?
:scratchch

Robaloba

Thanks for replying, wouldn't it be nice if the shops actually gave this information in there descriptions of the items. They would surely sell more. They do seem a good upgrade and a very nice idea.
If anyone has fitted them recently it would be great to hear their experience.

snowman

I borrowed a pair and tried them out on an SF forged + riser. I had to improvise some locking bolts but limbs felt secure as there is always a flat surface pressing over a larger surface area rather than just the edge of a regular rigid bolt. Others at the club commented that the bow seemed a lot quieter than before. Unfortunately I had to return them but must get round to buying a set for myself.

Robaloba

Thanks again for the response, well I've just ordered a pair so I will do a follow up and post my own experience.

Robaloba

Well after a few weekends shooting with these on I thought I would give my verdict.
They look nice, but quite honestly I don't think they made any difference to my bow and set up. Last night I switched back to the standard bolts that came with my Horizon riser, I actually think the originals are quieter. Maybe when you think about they should be, they are after all rigid with no moving parts. The floating ones obviously move and maybe create noise/vibration.
One thing I do think would have made me keep them on is if Hoyt had put a thread in them to allow a stabilizer fitting, one thing my Horizon lacks.
This is just my opinion and they may well work better for other people or other bows.

Brum2010

Maybe when you think about they should be, they are after all rigid with no moving parts. The floating ones obviously move and maybe create noise/vibration.
They shouldn't move. Once the string and the limbs are pressed up against them they should be set. It might make areas of tuning, such as tiller and brace height, different (I'm thinking tiller in this case) from what they were with the old bolts. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Allen Gael

I borrowed a pair and tried them out on an SF forged + riser. I had to improvise some locking bolts but limbs felt secure as there is always a flat surface pressing over a larger surface area rather than just the edge of a regular rigid bolt. Others at the club commented that the bow seemed a lot quieter than before. Unfortunately I had to return them but must get round to buying a set for myself.
did you have to mod anything or is it a direct bolt on?

snowman

Straight forward replacement of old bolts for new, threads are same. Initially used lots of plumbers PTFE tape to stop rotation of bolts when bow was unstrung, as the system for locking bolts is different on Hoyt bows, then used original limb bolts as lock bolts and finally got couple of short allen screws to use as locking bolts. The only drawback I have found is the heads are a little wider so you cannot wind bolts down fully.

I have an unmodified riser as spare and definitely a reduction in noise with modified bow. Would not like to say if modified bow shoots any better, but to me excess noise is wasted energy. Cannot say if spending the money for the bolts was worthwhile but for me was worth the chance to play with things.

Had a few comments when people have looked at bow, especially when I was using old limb bolts to secure everything, and had never thought about using them.

Hope this is of use.

hot-shooter84

I've got these pro tiller bolts fitted to my Hoyt Horizon and what can I say?... Honestly it makes no difference to the feel of my shooting. But a positive is, that it does seem to stop the limbs wearing quite so much on the areas in contact with the tiller bolts when compared to the standard article.

Apologies for hi-jacking this, but would these Hoyt tiller bolts work on bows from other manufacturers? I like the idea of them (spreading the stress of the limb over the whole bolt head rather than just a particular edge), and wondered if they would work on my W&W Al1 for instance. Anyone tried this or should i forget it?

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
My GMX came with these. I wish I could find a way of stopping the 'plastic' washer from coming loose. Even tried superglue - still comes away.

Dennis

snowman

See my previous postings in this thread. Have had no problems with bow set up with Hoyt bolts on SF Forged+. Compared to standard spare riser is that there is less cosmetic damage to limbs from Hoyt bolts and the modified bow seems quieter on the way I have them set up.
Apologies for hi-jacking this, but would these Hoyt tiller bolts work on bows from other manufacturers? I like the idea of them (spreading the stress of the limb over the whole bolt head rather than just a particular edge), and wondered if they would work on my W&W Al1 for instance. Anyone tried this or should i forget it?

hot-shooter84

Hi Dennis just thought about your problem with the washers, instead of super glue try epoxy resin, super glue is quite brittle so is useless in high shock areas where as epoxy especially the slower setting ones have a bit more elasticity, have equally if not better bonding and higher shock tolerance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cheers - Am I right in thinking that the tiller bolt size on the SF Forged+ is the same as the W&W? it would makes sense as they are all made by the same company, but I dont fancy dropping 40 notes when it might not fit :)