Hoyt Xceed or Gillo GT for barebow

Pablete

Thanks for your time reading and Ideas.
I am planning to get a new bow for barebow ( I’m 60, 1,76 height / 29”DL- 30-35# / riser 25” / limbs 30-35#) and I would appreciate your advice.
Due to Covid‘s circumstances it’s hard to try the risers at a local store.
I’m open to any suggestions but... which one would you choose between Hoyt Xceed and Gillo GT ?
( I am aware I don’t need a top notch / high end riser being a regular guy so I could spare 300-400 euros )
Thanks

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Wow... I would say either the Gillo or the Hoyt would be fantastic risers to shoot. Money aside, innovation and looks, they both have it. Could I spend 600-700 Euros on them, yes. Would I, no. The reason is , for barebow, especially string walking barebow, the riser never has the opportunity to work as a perfect riser. The shooting demands for string walking are constantly changing and setup is a compromise. Having said that I do shoot top end risers, a Mybow Elite and a W&W AXT, both bought new, neither cost more than £275. Neither bow was designed as a barebow, both shoot fantastically well as barebow.
I would also consider what limbs I would be using. I think it would play on my mind if I bought a £600 riser if I did not pair it with £600-£700 limbs and probably for no good reason other than what's the point of cheap limbs on an expensive riser :)
But this is just me. I like to buy stuff at the trailing edge of technology when kit has been thoroughly tested and cheaper. But I would, no doubt, be smiling if either the Hoyt or Gillo was posted through my door :)

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
KidCurry is one of the best barebow shooters I have ever seen, so listening to his advice is probably a good idea. I have two barebow setups, one for indoor one for outdoor, like KidCurry I have a Mybo Elite which is the riser I use indoors, and would find it hard to get a better riser for anything approaching the price, but I do pair it with a set of Uukha X-curve limbs. However on my outdoor setup I use a very high end riser an Italian Smartriser, these are at the astronomical end of the price range, but I would happily have paid double the price for it, it is a super, exceptional piece of kit and due to its construction gives a beautiful feel on the shot even when stringwalking, again a set of Uukha X-curve limbs. Do I need the Smartriser, no, the Mybo would happily do everything better than I can, am I glad I do have it yes indeed.

There are two aspects of kit selection, the purely functional and the pleasure of ownership. This is a highly personal thing and only you can set the priorities.

Pablete

Thanks KidCurry and Geophys2.
Great point.
I Agree 100%. I do not need a high end riser. Neither I got the high skill nor the bow is not going to make me a better shooter. I guess it is all about spending an extra 500 for pure pleasure.
You nail it Geophys2
There are two aspects of kit selection, the purely functional and the pleasure of ownership. This is a highly personal thing and only you can set the priorities.
You both are death right... so I hesitate what to do.
btw I was thinking in the UuKha s-curve Limbs Sx-50 (350 euros)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Geophys is very kind. And he is right to say 'pleasure of ownership' is important. I tend to treat archery as a job rather than something I really enjoy and you will spend a lot of time holding, shooting and questioning your equipment. Being happy with the bow you choose IS probably the most important aspect of shooting well and enjoying your archery.

Stretch

Buy the one you like the look of most - as that is probably why you are looking at this kind of price of riser. Both are being shot at a very high level in bare bow classifications (and the other Gillo risers might be worth a look in too).

The drawback of the Gillo GT is it tends to be a little heavy when compared to market. Generally that is no bad thing for BB but if you need the bow to be “a bit lighter” so you can add the mass where you want and get the feel you want then the Exceed might be more flexible But it is only 80g. Mind you if I recall correctly the riser specific weights for the Exceed are very expensive.

In the Gillo GTs favour you have the enormous weight adjustment range. However, do bear in mind that Uukha do seem to be saying it invalidates their warranty. (Uukha posted a statement on their Facebook page). They say their limbs are only rate for +/- 5% (I think that’s what they said...)

GT also has a wide range of Gillo specific add on weights which I guess is a plus if you are digging the aesthetic of your bow. It is also likely to have a more damped/softer feel than the Exceed if you have any concern over wrist or elbow joints.

In the past a lot of BBers have used very low grips. The Gillo risers can go very low, the Hoyts not so much. Low on a Hoyt will always be medium low, even if you shoot off the metal. Mind you current trend seems to be towards preference just like other disciplines. (Personally I couldn’t shoot lower that what you can get on a Hoyt and and I have a low Loesch grip to prove it :cry:)... of course you can get any wrist angle if you bring the throat of the grip away from the riser! I just mean without a geometry change.

I think I have shot every bow I ever owned barebow - just because it is nice to dump the gubbins every now and then. I’ve never had one that didn’t shoot OK that way as long as you set it up right(ish). So... back to line 1.

Stretch

Pablete

Thank you Stretch.
I really appreciate all the nuances you point at, as well as your common sense (not so common nowadays).
Up to now it seems like only remains to choose the hoyt’s color. :) it may be black.

Pablete

Geophys is very kind. And he is right to say 'pleasure of ownership' is important. I tend to treat archery as a job rather than something I really enjoy and you will spend a lot of time holding, shooting and questioning your equipment. Being happy with the bow you choose IS probably the most important aspect of shooting well and enjoying your archery.
Both of you seem like a wise men, on top of great shooters. Thanks.

Ian

AIUK Saviour
Over the years I have used many different risers shooting bare bow,Carbofast,Border Mirage & Tempest,Gillo,W&W,Hoyt Avalon & Hoyt G.M. Spigarelli 1300 and EXE all with Border limbs of around the 36lb mark.
However my personal preferences in terms of quality of finish,value for money,feel in the hand,solidity of shot and ability for the adjustment for riser weight would be my Spigarelli 650 and my Spigarelli BB.

Pablete

Thanks Ian. Appreciated so I’m trying to find Spigarelli’s spec for BB, 650 and DMS.
What draws me to Spigarelli riser is that they are specifically designed for barebow.
Great suggestion Ian.
BB riser seems a great option ( 650 is too heavy ).

Last edited:

Ian

AIUK Saviour
Here`s alink to their web page, Spigasport you should find it all on there.
If not email them with any questions,I have always found them to be reall helpful

Pablete

Thanks Ian, once more. The Spigarelli‘s website is not the best when it comes to give specs and details, imao. The BB riser is the one that include a short description “1,500 kg, limbs alignment system, weight adjustment, wooden grip, magnetic rest, 210gr additional weight included” and it’s really and option to consider. I will get in contact with them.

Last edited:

Chaz

Great thread for the moment I'm in:

I'm a new archer, 3 years. I've been shooting with a purpose this past year. I could shoot my entry SW Spyder at 45#'s the rest of my life, not much there, I'm 74 and I was a given 6mths to 6 year timeline a year ago. On the other hand my 900 scoring was reaching a level that, according to various organizing bodies, was better than average, so I thought myself justified in considering an equipment upgrade. I exemplify the comment, "pleasure of ownership".

After much mulling about it, I chose Uukha SX80's limbs @42#. Next between Hoyt Xceed and Gillo GT 25 I chose the Gillo because of draw weight adjustability.

This past Tuesday I had the rig set up. Just as has been reported elsewhere, regarding the riser, the tech was quite surprised that one limb was really hard to remove and the other difficult. After finally shooting the rig Thurs and Friday (a most WOW like experience if there ever was one), last night, Friday, I set about to disassemble and those damn limbs would not separate from the riser. I literally strained these ancient elbows a bit before I was finally able to remove them. The long and short?

The Gillo is going back. The question, should I spend the extra $$ on the Xceed or select another riser?

My Game, it's not a complicated approach:
I shoot #barebow.
I think my shot technique is between point on and instinctual. I don't spend a lot of time at 20yd/18M so I don't shoot a lot of string walk and then only add some space to diminish my site picture if that makes sense.

My preferred game is shooting at distance, 40, 50 and 60M format. Probably before a year has transpired will step up to the SX+ @ 46#. That's my uncomplicated picture. So Thanks in advance for any riser suggestions for this barebow archer to attach his Uukha SX80,s.

Pablete

The Gillo is going back. The question, should I spend the extra $$ on the Xceed or select another riser?
Hi there Chaz.
The Spigarelli BB is design with Barebow shooting in mind, and being a great riser it’s half of the price of the Xceed (it comes with rest and weights). But it is hard to find at the moment in Spain or even through europe archery distributors as ASA or JVD. I got in contact with spiga website but without answer up to now. So Xceed seems to be the options for me. Beside being humans “pleasure of ownership” usually wins.

Chaz

Pablete,
Just look at several reviews and outside my pref for non-gloss finish, I think this will do fine, good shooting out there. Thanks for the suggestion.

john heff

AIUK Saviour
I set about to disassemble and those damn limbs would not separate from the riser. I literally strained these ancient elbows a bit before I was finally able to remove them.
Factory setting of the Lateral Limb Adjustment may have the grub screws set too tight for your limb's ILF dovetails. If you refer to instructions in your Owners Manual you can readjust the tightness of the grub screws for a proper fit. - John

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Before you send it back, have a look at jake Kaminski's channel on YouTube. He did a review of the Gillo riser and found the same issue, but adjusted something in the pockets I think and made the fit better....

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Before you send it back, have a look at jake Kaminski's channel on YouTube. He did a review of the Gillo riser and found the same issue, but adjusted something in the pockets I think and made the fit better....
Yep, it was here Gillo GT 27" riser here...
from about 26mins
it also goes into pt2...
and pt3 ...
and pt4 ...

Last edited:

starground

Limb fit of Uukha limbs can be problematic. A friend at my club had issues with his new SX+ limbs. They wouldn’t fit his WF risers and didn’t fit my Xceed either. I’d say it’s a QC issue of Uukha, and not a riser issue.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I’d say it’s a QC issue of Uukha, and not a riser issue.
It's probably neither. I think there is an assumption that the ILF system is a standard. As Whitehart and a number of others have said in the past, ILF is only a system it is not a standard. Hoping one manufacturer's limbs will fit another manufacturer's riser is optimistic. Expecting them to fit is unrealistic.

Last edited: