[Horsebow] Hungarian Horsebow Recommendations?

oisin

Hello all,

So I'm looking to buy one of the Hungarian horsebows, for use both in target archery and in a boffer sport (read: fake medieval combat with foam weapons, similar to SCA but we pad our weapons not our people) where bow draw is strictly limited to 35 lbs @ 28".

So, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with any of these guys? Kassai, Grozer, Toth, etc? Specifically, I'm looking at maybe going with Grozer's "Old Scythian" because it's cheap or his "Hungarian of the Middle Ages" because it seems like an amazing bow, if I think I can stomach the price. I've heard from multiple sources Kassai doesn't live up to his reputation. There's also a (semi)-local store that carries bows by a group calling themselves Flagella Dei--does anyone have one of their bows, or have any knowledge about them?

Thanks!

Oisin

MikeJ

Karel bows are reasonably priced and very well liked by the couple of people I know that own them. He has a shop on ebay, they are about ?100 if you get them buy it now and postage from Hungary to Uk is about ?15.

HTH

Mike.

oisin

From a visual inspection of the pictures, Karel seems to be selling Flagella Dei, which is the group I haven't been able to find much out about. The people you know who own these bows, which ones do they have? Have you shot them? Any ideas about which model is the best of his? They're all the same price.

steve Morley

Link to Saluki website Home

I have a couple of Saluki bows and won a few competitions shooting against other Recurves including CNC Riser bows, I found the Ibex is the most stable for competition Archery.

Very fast and excellent build quality, my view one of the best on the market.

oisin

Yeah, if I was in the market for a rather expensive American-made bow, I'm sure I'd go with them, or possibly Spitfire, but I don't have that much money to spend.

^HUN^

Hello oisin,
I can assure you that the claim that Kassai bows do not live up to expectation is absolute rubbish. I have used both Grozer and Kassai Hunnic bows and both perform very well.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for and your budget has to be your guide.

Steve Morley,
The Ibex is a very nice bow, but with its modern grip it is not a traditional design. Novotny makes particularly good traditional designs, a much better choice in my opinion.

steve Morley

Steve Morley,
The Ibex is a very nice bow, but with its modern grip it is not a traditional design. Novotny makes particularly good traditional designs, a much better choice in my opinion.
Thats why I said the Ibex is well suited to tourney shooting but he will make it with a more Trad grip if you ask, many of his customers who select the Ibex either want it for tourney shooting or Hunting.

If you want real trad he has a good product range to select from, including horn bows.

Andy Gilbert

Hello all,

So I'm looking to buy one of the Hungarian horsebows, for use both in target archery and in a boffer sport (read: fake medieval combat with foam weapons, similar to SCA but we pad our weapons not our people) where bow draw is strictly limited to 35 lbs @ 28".

So, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with any of these guys? Kassai, Grozer, Toth, etc? Specifically, I'm looking at maybe going with Grozer's "Old Scythian" because it's cheap or his "Hungarian of the Middle Ages" because it seems like an amazing bow, if I think I can stomach the price. I've heard from multiple sources Kassai doesn't live up to his reputation. There's also a (semi)-local store that carries bows by a group calling themselves Flagella Dei--does anyone have one of their bows, or have any knowledge about them?

Thanks!

Oisin
My advice is go for a Hungarian or Mongolian bow - they are more forgiving than the Scythian it's cheap but hard for a beginner to shoot. I have a Grozier 45lb Hungarian and it is very consistant - I have a Toth 50lb bow and it is much smoother but the quality of manufacture is poorer. Kassai are a good compromise. Look on e-bay under "Hungarian Bow World" and you will get a great selection. Grozier is the quality brand for me. Hope this helps. Andy