I did it :)

brman

Last night I was shooting at 40 yards as usual and, for a bit of fun, someone challenged me to to hit the target he was using at 90 meters. Now keep in mind I have only been shooting a few months and my sight normally runs out of range at about 50 yards (26lb limbs and heavy arrows). So, barebow, gap shooting (does it count as gap shooting when I was aiming with the arrow point over the top of a very large tree behind the target?) and the last of a dozen arrows gave that satisfying thunk :)
It is the green/pink fletched arrow in the black at 4 oclock and no, I don't think I could do it reliably but it was very satisfying all the same ;)

Corax67

Well done - an immensely satisfying feeling i am sure

In my book aiming into the trees is not so much gap shooting as doing what us longbow archers do pretty much every arrow at very long distance :)

Karl

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
For such a light bow, that is quite a shallow angle your arrow has gone in at - Especially compared with the black at 11 o clock one.

Well done, hope it gives you the inspiration to start increasing your range over the weeks left of the outdoor season.

brman

Thanks all,
I think the angle is a bit deceptive in the picture. My memory is that the other arrows were very flat compared to mine although that top one does look at quite an angle. Perhaps that one twisted as it hit something in the boss?
It has reminded me that it is nice to have a bit of fun sometimes rather than just hammering away trying to improve my groups. In fact I nicked my wifes flatbow yesterday and found that a lot of fun despite being right handed (I am left handed normally) :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I guess many of us need reminding that it is supposed to be fun..... it was fun when we started.... what happens?
Perhaps, "getting better" takes over our thoughts..... most archers do get better in their first few months and perhaps there is a desire for that to continue. Or perhaps it becomes an expectation.

brman

I guess many of us need reminding that it is supposed to be fun..... it was fun when we started.... what happens? Perhaps, "getting better" takes over our thoughts..... most archers do get better in their first few months and perhaps there is a desire for that to continue. Or perhaps it becomes an expectation.
Certainly true in my case ;)