[Horsebow] import horsebows ?

Jimbo1980

Cheers again Deej, I'd read that horsebows were similar to compounds draw wise....bit of a pain if thats not the case :-(...there's a nice bow on ebay at the moment..a grozer @ 42# 28" which draws to 32" so would that make it around 50# @ 32" ?

James.

philhoney

Hi,
When I bought my grandaughters horsebow the Ebay listing stated 34lb @ 28in but when it arrived the instructions stated 34 at 30 and that it could be safely drawn to 32. There seems to be a bit of confusion between the standard we are used to and the horsebow makers.
Phil

CraigMBeckett

Ebay Australia is now flooded with Chinese Horsebows (except they call them Longbows). They look reasonable quality. You can pick one up for less than $10 sometimes, so it would not really hurt if they were rubbish? Cheers
The Chinese ebayer apart, I think you need to have a bit more of a look around, only the Brits seem to insist that what the world calls an "English Longbow" or ELB is the only bow that should be called a longbow, most of the world believes that a long bow is a bow that is not short no matter what the cross-section of the bow is. Even the club set up to promote the shooting of the traditional styled bow in Britain, in its title, calls the bow a "British Long-bow". I would suggest that you and all the people who take umbridge at other people using the word longbow for bows such as the flat bow are the ones that are in error and have wrongly appropriated the word for a particular cross-sectional shape of bow. It is not as if when the bows were ubiquitus throughout England and Wales that they were called longbows, rather, if anything they were called hand bows to distinguish them from cross-bows.

Craig.

Jimbo1980

Thanks for the comment Craig,
I shoot a compound and am obviously looking at getting a 'horsebow'.....I know nothing about longbows but am interested to read the responses to your post, part of me thinks it could become a little heated...:)
all the best,
James.

Si2

The Chinese ebayer apart, I think you need to have a bit more of a look around, only the Brits seem to insist that what the world calls an "English Longbow" or ELB is the only bow that should be called a longbow, most of the world believes that a long bow is a bow that is not short no matter what the cross-section of the bow is. Even the club set up to promote the shooting of the traditional styled bow in Britain, in its title, calls the bow a "British Long-bow". I would suggest that you and all the people who take umbridge at other people using the word longbow for bows such as the flat bow are the ones that are in error and have wrongly appropriated the word for a particular cross-sectional shape of bow. It is not as if when the bows were ubiquitus throughout England and Wales that they were called longbows, rather, if anything they were called hand bows to distinguish them from cross-bows.

Craig.
I'm not sure there's any 'umbrage' here.

What people are after is clarity and accurate description. in this case a particularly short bow is described as a longbow.
Using your analogy that longbows were called longbows because they were long, we can see here that the seller is in error to call a short bow a longbow.

What ever type of longbow I was expecting, if I received a horse bow, then I'd be rather dissapointed, as they tend to be rather short on the whole and not long at all. I may like horsebows, but I was expecting a longbow...

I think even you can see the logic in that.

If I use the term English longbow or ELB then archers tend to know what it is.
Using the term longbow could mean anything long that's a bow.
My sons 'longbow' is shorter than my horse bow.... but if I said it was a kids ELB, then you'd know what it was..

Determining if the ELB is an accurate historical description of the bent stick is a whole different subject.....

Si

Twangster

My sixpenn'eth is that I purchased one last year direct from Hungary, it isn't a high end weight, but due to my age it is more than enough at 40lb. The arrows seem to leave the bow faster than my previous longbow from years ago, and the shaped (mongolian) style means an extra zing when the string reaches it's maximum release due to the raised profile/lumps featured on a Mongolian bow. Covered in black leather and very prettily too I might add. The packaging was very basic but adequate, and it would appear that it is a regular transhipment, so no worries on that score hopefully. I took the risk and it turned out nice again.......:archer232

DarrenRomania

Hi Jimbo,
just to say, I've recently bought a Zoltan Toth Scythian base bow #60 with traditional style 11/32 arrows. It has no arrow rest you shoot from the hand, which takes a bit of getting used to. I found it new at a very reasonable price in Romania. I did not wish to pay over the top for one of these bows in case I was disappointed with it. But I must say I'm very impressed with it so far. I'm now waiting for the weather here ( Romania ) to improve to shoot it a bit more. Check this site Arcuri , sageti - Bowhunter - Vanzare echipamente de tir cu arcul traditional - Acasa via google translate its a Romanian based e-shop for this type of bow and cheap too. If you have any questions about it just drop me a message.