Increase the poundage by screwing in the bolts - side effects?

fbirder

I'm currently shooting with 26# limbs (around 30# OTF due to 30" draw length). When I started shooting last year I was using 32# limbs, but that was too much and I couldn't develop my form. So I got lighter limbs - a good idea. Now I feel confident about pulling some more weight and I've decided to try a couple of weeks with my limbs wound in to get around 34# OTF.

I'm confident about adjusting the limb bolts on my SF Forged+ but I'm not sure what else I'll need to change/check after the adjustment. I'm guessing the the string I'm using now will have to be altered (nocking point height, number of twists) so I'll probably start with a new string. Is there anything else I should check on after adjusting? My arrows act a little stiff (bareshafts to the left) so I'm hoping there will be no clearance problems.

Tuck

I'm currently shooting with 26# limbs (around 30# OTF due to 30" draw length). When I started shooting last year I was using 32# limbs, but that was too much and I couldn't develop my form. So I got lighter limbs - a good idea. Now I feel confident about pulling some more weight and I've decided to try a couple of weeks with my limbs wound in to get around 34# OTF.

I'm confident about adjusting the limb bolts on my SF Forged+ but I'm not sure what else I'll need to change/check after the adjustment. I'm guessing the the string I'm using now will have to be altered (nocking point height, number of twists) so I'll probably start with a new string. Is there anything else I should check on after adjusting? My arrows act a little stiff (bareshafts to the left) so I'm hoping there will be no clearance problems.
String may still be ok, just check np and redo if needed.
Ensure limb bolts tightened same turns , and check tiller before and after.
Arrows should be better with higher poundage.
Don't wind in too far as getting limbs in and out can be difficult.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I'm guessing the the string I'm using now will have to be altered (nocking point height, number of twists) so I'll probably start with a new string.
When we wind in the bolts, we put slightly more bend in the limbs. The effect is to up the poundage and very little else.( some imagine that the limb tips move apart and that a longer string will be required; but that isn't the case.) So, for example, the BH will hardly change, and if each bolt is wound the same amount, the nocking point will not change by a visible amount. The string will not stretch enough to require more twists.
The bow should be faster and match the arrows better. It may be that afterwards, you want to try a different BH, so twisting or untwisting the string will allow you to experiment. But that is not because the original string is no longer a good fit.

Whitehart

Most limbs if you wind them in fully due to the change in bow geometry they become a bit more unstable, you might find them noisier and get limb flutter.

carl7

Just wind in the bolts equally and go shoot. Nothing else will change. Creep up on more weight if you feel the need to. Perhaps 1/2 turn.

ThomVis

[...]
so I'll probably start with a new string.
[...]
My arrows act a little stiff (bareshafts to the left)
Consider a thicker string. This will shoot more stable, keep your DW the same but your arrows may act "normal".

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
2 pounds? Unless something on your setup is marginal, you probably won't see any differences. There may be a detectable change in sight mark. But watch the tiller, that's the thing most likely to cause visible changes in behaviour.

Simian

Supporter
Supporter
2 pounds? Unless something on your setup is marginal, you probably won't see any differences. There may be a detectable change in sight mark. But watch the tiller, that's the thing most likely to cause visible changes in behaviour.

1/4 turn of my limb bolts moves my arrows from the middle, to the edge of the boss at 90m. That's about 0.2lb difference.

A full turn of my limb bolts (0.8lb), plus putting 15gr on the back of the arrow, and taking 20gr off the front took 1cm off my sightmark at 90m, and 4mm @70m.

On the other hand, neither required me to change nock point, string, or anything else other than the sight pin position.