Indoor arrows

Sinbad

Hi all,

I don't usually do indoor shooting, I prefer outdoor and longer distances, but as the club I moved to are building a 30m indoor range, they already have an 8 yard practice range, I thought I will be doing indoor more than I would have over winter.

So looking around for arrows (prob X23), I noticed that some online shops sell in batches of 6 or 8 and others 12, even in bare shaft format. So my question is how many arrows would you say is the best to get. The out door arrows i have come in a batch of 12, but as you don't tend to shoot as many at the target, do you need that many? I can understand the "getting them balanced in groups of 3 etc, but for me, it really is just to keep going over winter.

Cheers

G

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I usually get 8, but check what points etc you want, as some only come in batches of 12.

Sinbad

forgot to ask, I see a lot of indoor shooters use longer arrows than they would outdoors, would that be something to consider? I currently shoot 29" outdoor

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Most people shoot a longer, stiffer arrow with a very heavy point. It helps take the speed out of the bow over the short distance and is supposed to get the arrow to straighten up quickly. However, it will punish poor looses, twitchy bow hands and torquing the riser, as the slower the arrow is shifting, the more the archer's bad habits will show.
Makes you work hard at good form though.

Sinbad

That follows what I have been reading. Arrow length, number, point weight etc all sorted. Thanks for the replies.

StevoNilo

Sometimes it's less work to shoot your outdoor arrows indoors. Saves having to re tune every season. If you don't mind doing that then go for it.

inthemiddle

Hi all,

I don't usually do indoor shooting, I prefer outdoor and longer distances, but as the club I moved to are building a 30m indoor range, they already have an 8 yard practice range, I thought I will be doing indoor more than I would have over winter.

So looking around for arrows (prob X23), I noticed that some online shops sell in batches of 6 or 8 and others 12, even in bare shaft format. So my question is how many arrows would you say is the best to get. The out door arrows i have come in a batch of 12, but as you don't tend to shoot as many at the target, do you need that many? I can understand the "getting them balanced in groups of 3 etc, but for me, it really is just to keep going over winter.

Cheers

G
I shoot x23's and shared out 12 with my wife, 6 each :) we only shoot 3 arrow ends at the club on three spot games. A lot depends on what faces you shoot at. Back in the days of single spots 12 arrow would only last a winter season. They either get bent, dented or robin hooded.

Sinbad

Went for a set of 8 x23. Just need to tune them, but can't decide if I want to make the changes to my current setup or set my old bow up and use that. I kept all my old gear, rest, sight, scope etc, so may use that.

StevoNilo

Went for a set of 8 x23. Just need to tune them, but can't decide if I want to make the changes to my current setup or set my old bow up and use that. I kept all my old gear, rest, sight, scope etc, so may use that.
I'd use the old gear. If it's vaguely similiar in actual physical weight to your current kit and the grips are similiar then use it. We've 6 bows in our house and we use a different bow for in and out, 3D etc... We've been shooting for a few decades, so after that time you tend to have surplus older kit stashed somewhere under the bed. Make use of it. You will be pleasantly surprised.. Especially if you start getting decent scores in tournaments with a 30 year old bow and make your Velos/H Formula competitors nervous.. Very satisfying..

Last edited:

Sinbad

Never got round to selling my old pse supra (new bow was a 50th present from the wife), so have used all of my old parts to build it as indoor/home use only. Saves me messing with my outdoor kit having to change blades and changing rest hight etc etc.

Corax67

I’ve a separate indoor bow - a 26# ELB with matching arrows for indoor as opposed to my #52 for outdoors. Don’t need the punch indoors so enjoy the lighter gear.

inthemiddle

I’ve a separate indoor bow - a 26# ELB with matching arrows for indoor as opposed to my #52 for outdoors. Don’t need the punch indoors so enjoy the lighter gear.
While this is nice thing to do I find I lose conditioning when I go outside again. I just treat indoor as a tuning and practice for the summer season so shoot the same bow weight regardless

Corax67

While this is nice thing to do I find I lose conditioning when I go outside again. I just treat indoor as a tuning and practice for the summer season so shoot the same bow weight regardless
As we are an outdoor club I still shoot my main bow weekly to maintain conditioning but I also shoot the 26# at short range at home to keep my eye in and it’s so much easier indoors to be point on rather than messing about with markers