Indoors

Whitehart

I keep seeing references to the "indoor season is nearly upon us"

How many think we will have an indoor season and will it be financially viable for most clubs?

For me it will be outdoors and field archery with a heated Gillet for the really cold days although last year was not too bad even in January.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
With the current AGB indoor shooting guide and government guide lines on putting on and taking off a mask, for a full Porstmouth you would need to go through the mask cycle 22 times meaning 44 applications of hand sanitiser to prevent cross contamination, I don't think my skin would last very long.

My NFAS field club is open in daylight hours four days a week with a 40 target 3D course , so that is where my archery fix will be for the foreseeable future.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
With an overly cautious approach to shooting and not wanting to add fuel to a mass delusion that things are starting to get back to normal, I am almost certainly going to stay outdoors, and that's if we have enough space on the range, which looks unlikely if we are down to weekends and 4 bosses only :(

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I didn't do indoors last winter... wasn't planning on doing so this either... it's utterly boring at the best of times...

ArcheryFox

Our usual indoor venue, we have decided, is currently not financially viable for shooting under the current AGB guidance. On top of this we only restarted outdoors yesterday, so are still waiting to see what our renewals etc. look like.
We are putting out feelers for other options, but personally I have also been negotiating with our outdoor venue to try and get weekend sessions that will allow us to continue outdoors over winter.
The latter is my preference since a) I see this as being the safest option and am not wildly convinced by the current indoor guidance, b) it took a lot of work to get us going again outdoors, and c) like Bimble I am fairly ambivalent to say the least about indoors.

Personally, if all of the above falls through I still have my field club that will keep going regardless over winter.
Indoors? You mean the place we store the 3Ds right...?

Bandit

I doubt indoors will happen for us this year. I can’t say I’ll miss it as I have never found it all that appealing. If the result of this is the option to shoot outdoors over winter, weather permitting, I’m all up for it.

Whitehart

For those that cannot shoot indoors over the winter and do not have the option to use their outdoor facilities because they are multi sport venues and taken over by rugby and football.

Many Cricket Clubs own their own grounds and these are not used all winter and generally big enough. Also for the cricket club it would be money they would not be expecting.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
my club will be moving indoors in oct. we have a 4 hour afternoon slot. 1 hour will be set aside for setting up/taking down and change overs. we will then have 4 people entering the room for an hour and 3 groups of 4

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Our indoor season is in a school gym; I can't see it happening this year.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I've gone over to field archery permanently now in a small wood that we rent on a yearly basis. I've left the target club I was a member of so that I can shoot outdoors all year round, weather permitting of course. I never enjoyed indoor.

Corax67

Our club is outdoors all year but we shoot as guests at another local club using a shared council site - knowing the venue I cannot see how it will open this year as it would be a maximum of 5 bosses but there would normally be 30-40 of us on 10 bosses paying £3 each to cover costs.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Matt, I think you are right; archery is an outdoor sport.
Indoor archery is just a different version of it; like indoor football, indoor tennis, indoor bowls.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
wew were at our outdoor range today and we were informed we will have to wear masks indoors. someone got theres and tried to shoot wearing it and said he couldn't feel the right place for the anchor point, doent bother me so much as mine is 'slightly' various! :D

Kerf

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
For those that cannot shoot indoors over the winter and do not have the option to use their outdoor facilities because they are multi sport venues and taken over by rugby and football.

Many Cricket Clubs own their own grounds and these are not used all winter and generally big enough. Also for the cricket club it would be money they would not be expecting.
Our local cricket won’t entertain archery - they perceive a, perhaps real, danger in lost or broken (carbon) arrows.
And like others we shoot in a school gym so even if we were invited in it would not be financially viable.
We’re thinking of extending our outdoor season for as long as practicable but as our field gets waterlogged quickly we’re very much in the hands of the weather gods.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Our local cricket won’t entertain archery - they perceive a, perhaps real, danger in lost or broken (carbon) arrows.
The rugby club that we shoot at disallows carbons and any lost arrows must be found before we leave the ground. No exceptions.

But I can totally understand a sports club not wanting to take the risk.

AndyW

Even though we have a wood our club nights are due to resume in Sept indoors. For our club I can see no practicable way of it being done as we have around 6 bosses and generally around 40 people wanting to shoot at them. Club nights already drag let alone with all of the extra precautions, I'm going to stay home.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
At the club where I shoot, the indoors was very well attended about 10 years ago. We had to split the days into three shifts to allow everyone a chance to shoot over the weekend.
I could imagine the same idea working now; small numbers shooting for a fixed length of time... probably shorter than normal.
I think it is a matter of seeing shooting indoors as being of value, other than just another chance to shoot a round for a score for a handicap.
The continuity it offers can establish a routine of attending the club, for archers who would, otherwise, hibernate.
Indoors may not be everyone's cup of tea, but much can be gained by using the time to refresh our shooting form with less distraction.
For some club members, the regular attendance can off set a tendency to find other things to do on archery days. A good number of archers never return to archery after a long winter doing other things instead.