Insurance and land

Kravex

I have a question if anyone who has a similar situation a me, I'm a member of ArheryGB and obviously have the included insurance that comes with it when I shoot at the club, but I also own a 4 acre wood that I've placed a few small targets in to shoot at myself. I have woodland liability insurance but this specifically states that it doesn't cover activity sports such as archery, so does anyone know of available insurance that could cover the land for archery as most sports insurance companies only seem to do the individual.

I only wanted to have a small group of friends from the club (who are ArcheryGB members) for a fun shoot in the woods rather than at targets in a field but I'm a bit wary without appropriate insurance, does anyone have any advice or can point me in the right direction?

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
YOu could get the field registered as a club shooting venue if the club agrees and a judge deems it meets safety requirements. A club can have several venues registered with AGB. It needn't be a big deal as the club in consultation with you can put in some sensible rules around usage - who and when etc

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The NFF gets insurance for it's courses through AXA and previously the NFU. I don't know how competitive it would be for an individual, though.

Kravex

Thanks for the replies, I've contacted Lizzy Rees at archery GB who is their fieldd archery coordinator to see what has to be done to include my wood, I'll post back here when she replies to the email for future searches on the subject.

D

Deleted member 7654

Why do you feel you need insurance?
Are there public rights of way through the wood.. are some of your friends incompetent or dangerous or are they shooting compounds or bows with unnecessary range/power?
Some insurance is IMO just a con, they are constantly searching for unnecessary things for you to insure against.
Put up notices/ flags if necessary and/or appropriate when shooting.
Insurance won't cover you if you are negligent... if you are not negligent, there is no need for insurance.
Del

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Why do you feel you need insurance? Are there public rights of way through the wood.. are some of your friends incompetent or dangerous or are they shooting compounds or bows with unnecessary range/power? Some insurance is IMO just a con, they are constantly searching for unnecessary things for you to insure against. Put up notices/ flags if necessary and/or appropriate when shooting. Insurance won't cover you if you are negligent... if you are not negligent, there is no need for insurance. Del
While I'd really like to agree with Del, the wilful ignorance and entitlement of the public give me pause. "Are you really that bad a shot that you'd miss the boss when I'm walking behind it?" "It's just a bow and arrow!" "I'll walk where I want!" I've heard them all. And more. More than once. People are idiots and juries are made up of people.

D

Deleted member 7654

While I agree with your response to a great extent, I feel good target positioning should make that an impossibility.
Obviously this isn't practical if you are laying out an entire course... but a few targets for friends, positioned at the bottom of dips or in front of high inaccessible banks should be feasible.
After all targets shouldn't be laid out with blind areas behind.
Better IMO to rely on good layout than on insurance.
Del

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
can you actually get insurance for what you want is another question.
Nearly every farmer is a member of the CPSA (clay pigeon shooting association) not because they shhot clays but because the insurance covers all of their shooting activites so bagging a walker when shooting vermin is part of the package and individual insurance for such things would be prohibitively expensive.
You would alos have to consider what you want to actually cover. i used to run a business where we sold at marrkets and fairs and the venue needed insurance, the organiser of the event needed insourance and we needed insurance all to cover the exact same risk, ie public liability. So for a regular market I was involved in organising we bought insurance that covered everyone and everything and it cost us about ?80 a year compared to a minimum of ?65 for individual insurance for PL
In your case PL insurance for the land should be sufficient if you are carrying out any lawful activity although there may be considerations of the Occupiers Liability Act that you would need to have a look at (so exploding targets would be a no no) and only buy a policy that doesnt have a load of disclaimers that make the contract unfair but that is always hard to know until you make a claim. You wont need special insurance unless you are organising things for gain.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Why do you feel you need insurance?
Are there public rights of way through the wood.. are some of your friends incompetent or dangerous or are they shooting compounds or bows with unnecessary range/power?
Some insurance is IMO just a con, they are constantly searching for unnecessary things for you to insure against.
Put up notices/ flags if necessary and/or appropriate when shooting.
Insurance won't cover you if you are negligent... if you are not negligent, there is no need for insurance.
Del

In field archery, arrows can clip branches and zing off in an unexpected direction and for an unexpected distance. I recall an NFAS shoot where a longbow shooter in my group did that on a downhill target - we eventually found his arrow 80 yards past the target, uphill.

Niall

"Insurance won't cover you if you are negligent... " Speaking as a Chartered Insurer, with many years of underwriting Liability Insurance, this is incorrect. Negligence is, essentially, doing something a reasonable person would not, or not doing something a reasonable person would do. If I injure someone, or damage their property, as a result of my Negligence, and a Court decides that I have to pay Damages to the injured party, that is exactly what a Liability policy is designed to cover.

steve

Yes, when something has been made foolproof, there are some who take it as a challenge............
My dad was a design engineer for a major white goods manufacturer. Quote "if I design something that can be fitted other than one way, someone will fit it the wrong way".