International Archery Competitions

Good afternoon all,

So my archery club is currently planning its tour, which is typically a week (or less). In the past we have gone to Archfest, in Amsterdam, but unfortunately this year it isn't apparently running. However, the tour company we usually go for has said that if we can find an archery competition then they will try and build a tour round that (as in, find us suitable bars and clubs to go to. And maybe some sightseeing).

With this in mind, does anyone have any experience at some international competitions? Our club has only an indoor range so we won't be able to shoot much further than 30m when we go on tour, but are keen to get to a competition. We are looking at going at the end of March, but if a good competition comes up that is outside that time frame, we can certainly look into it.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
do you want "international" competitions, or just competitions in another country? There is the new World Archery Indoor Series, though that finishes at the Vegas shoot in Feb, but it has legs in the Netherlands, Italy and France (Nov, Dec, Jan respectively). Thing is, March is the time of year when most places have finished with indoor, but are only getting ready for outdoors.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
if you're just looking for "abroad", check the World Archery Calendar page, click on indoors and take your pick... I believe there's a date filter under the 'extra filters' tab

The main thing is that we are looking for a competition in another country. We are certainly not at the standard where World Archery is a good option! I appreciate that we have picked that tricky period where indoor ends and outdoor begins, which is why I think we will have to compromise on the dates. Even in World Archery, there is a gap between the Vegas shoot in February and the first outdoor World Cup leg, in Medellin at the end of April. I did think that, if there was a lack of competitions, we could always try and simply spectate a World Cup leg, but it would be nicer to obviously take part in something. It may just be a case that I email some clubs that are relatively local to each other and we visit and compete against them.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
well, the World Archery series is open to all, indeed Nimes is a massive competition, with a trade fayre and everything. The lowest gents recurve score was 246 so it's not just a shoot for experts. The idea of the Archery Series is to attract as many people as possible, to give them a chance to shoot against some of the best in the world, at some of the biggest shoots in the world.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
many towns are twinned with several places abroad so you could ask whether there is an archery club in your twinned town(s) and organise a match with them. you will then get brownie points from your local council as they will be happy to take some of the credit but more importantly, have some contacts for the logistics and you may well get an official reception wheh you get there.